TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 04:44 PM   #41
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Screw this stupid weather we've had. It's now pouring rain.

DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #42
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Went for a really fun drive, took some pics:

I went home and washed my car. Sealed the paint with jetseal and the ppf with xpel sealant. Stupid shiny Did some 303 fabric protector on the top too. Reconfirmed my great dislike of detailing though, not helped by finishing in the dark.

Last edited by DocWalt; 01-02-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #43
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Is that Green Lane? I'm back in Schwenksville for the week (not with E30, unfortunately) and took the lady for an extensive GL tour the other day.

The car is looking great! Seems like a blast.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #44
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Yup! Green Lane. Was out and about yesterday for fun. Of course it's super crappy weather here again today, but at least not raining...
Old 01-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #45
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I whipped up a mount for my RaceCapture Track and tested it out. Not super snug in the cupholder mount, but considering it weighs so little, it works great

For anyone doing this you need to swap the X & Y channels on the RaceCapture or it flips the lat/long accel data in SoloStorm which is more than a little confusing.

Here's the STL file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mJ...AUnu-jzuNofLoa

I had two mounts printed and the first one was a little loose but the second one was tight. If anyone gets one of those mounts printed up that isn't snug and wobble free, add some sticky felt as shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhBPJj1L1sA

I tested my ND2 straight line for those that care about that... 3.61s 30-60 mph, 2.906s 30-55 mph

Also, went for a drive last night

Last edited by DocWalt; 01-05-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #46
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

did you 3d print that? thats so cool!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #47
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

I've never really considered a Miata before the latest ND and now your Journal is making me really look into it. Awesome job with the mount!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #48
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
did you 3d print that? thats so cool!
Yes sir! Came out great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
I've never really considered a Miata before the latest ND and now your Journal is making me really look into it. Awesome job with the mount!
Haha, sorry
Old 01-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #49
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Haha, sorry
*shakes fist*

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #50
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Got my Miata aligned the other day. Here's the before:

and then the after:

On the street I can't tell a difference at all, maybe it tramlines a bit more? Should be way better for autocross though! If I drive really aggressively it will still ride the outside rear bump stop which makes it nicely loose. I may end up trimming the front bump stop a little bit to loosen it up even more, but that will be down the road after an event or two, I think.

Drilled a hole in the silly factory shock tower braces and painted the holes:

Now I can easily get to the adjusters for the front shocks I was a little concerned that rushing to adjust them with the knobs would be a pain in the butt, so here we are. I can just drop an 8mm hex driver down the hole and easily adjust now.

I took advantage of the nice weather today and washed my car, slapped the Karcepts sticker on to thank them for all of their help on this project.

Slapped the class numbers/letters on to grab a pic or few

I also slapped the front Mazda sticker on. I have two more, one for each rear quarter panel. It was a bit windy today and I didn't feel like messing with the larger stickers.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:58 PM   #51
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Put the rear quarter panel contingency stickers on. Shiny

Old 02-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #52
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Car looks great!

I'm surprised the steering didn't lighten up with the caster change. Is that camber maxed out or just what you thought was the right number?

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #53
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

With the weather as crappy as it was I couldn't really drive it back to back, so I didn't notice any real difference in steering feel. It's likely lighter, but oh well.

Camber is maxed out up front (well, maxed on one side and set the other to match) and the loss of caster is specifically to max out the camber. Dynamic camber will still gain a good amount but you really want a lot more static camber than what you can get from the factory. I'm actually surprised I got to -1.7 with the ride height as high as it is.

Rear camber is nowhere close to maxed out, but it should be a decent balance and get good tire wear. The rear gains a TON of dynamic camber.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #54
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Do me a favor and take this car back to the dealership and ask for warranty repairs on the suspension. Just to see what they say.

Looks fantastic. Love the swag

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #55
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Do me a favor and take this car back to the dealership and ask for warranty repairs on the suspension. Just to see what they say.

Looks fantastic. Love the swag
Depends what it is, but they'd replace any factory parts

Mazda has specifically stated they'll cover cars up to ST levels of prep, not SP (Hoosiers being their concern)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:15 PM   #56
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Depends what it is, but they'd replace any factory parts

Mazda has specifically stated they'll cover cars up to ST levels of prep, not SP (Hoosiers being their concern)
An OEM that'll replace parts under warranty??

What's that like?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #57
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
An OEM that'll replace parts under warranty??

What's that like?
Even an autocross car

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #58
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

The trans is a known weak point. I've been present for multiple folks blowing them up and they all got replaced. One guy blew up two engines and got them replaced, on top of 5 transmissions?

Mazda is great It would be better if failures didn't happen, but...
Old 03-05-2019, 12:26 AM   #59
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

For those ND guys using RaceCapture, I updated my definitions file with fixed brake pressure. I had to write a script to read the CAN message and process it to fix the bizarre thing Mazda did with the value rolling over.

I also rescaled the steering angle to be based on the physical degrees of the wheel, instead of -100/100% value.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rb...4Ori00IDsybH_X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNalVtw_xUc
Old 03-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #60
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
The trans is a known weak point. I've been present for multiple folks blowing them up and they all got replaced. One guy blew up two engines and got them replaced, on top of 5 transmissions?

Mazda is great It would be better if failures didn't happen, but...
They've figured the trans as a weakness point already? Didn't the car just come out? That's amazing!

Geez...Mazda sounds great. Not jealous over here, nope....not jealous at all.

/
/
/
/
/