TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 11:00 PM   #21
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
A little more feedback on the car...

The infotainment system is really nice. Responsive and the general flow of the system makes sense 95% of the time. I'm a stickler for HMI stuff, so the fact that I don't have any serious complaints so far is good. I really like the album art feature, even if that's slightly silly.

The radio reception is pretty solid, though when it transfers between HD and non HD on the same station it is very audible, my Focus RS was more seamless and not as noticeable, for better or worse. I know the less seamless transition is technically more "correct" audio quality wise, but the non-HD should have had some EQ tweaking behind the scenes or something. Nitpicking this a bit, my BRZ was much worse at this.

Syncing a phone was easy, just as it should be. Haven't used it to make a call yet, but text messages are received instantly which is nice.

With a bit more miles, I'm learning to like the bottom hinged throttle a little more. Heel-toe is easy and requires only tiny blips. The engine is really free-revving and I love it. For a street car, I think Mazda nailed it.

My favorite thing so far is the control weighting just feels "right". Everything feels nice and nothing has an "odd" control weight that stands out to me. I drove a 981 Cayman GTS a few months back and it was really disappointing to me because the brakes were soft, the throttle was stiff, the steering was oddly heavy, the shifter felt dainty, etc.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #22
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Old 12-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #23
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Didn't know hartops exsisted for this car... looks pretty cool.

https://www.dgmotorsports.com/produc...tID=50-65-7100

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:45 PM   #24
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Yeah, unfortunately all of the hardtops require a lot of fitment work to actually fit... or I'd already have one. Looks hot.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #25
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GC8tHTwqfM

Doing some set up work on the data logger
Old 12-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #26
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I broke 100 miles today so I did a few pulls to redline. Felt way more solid than the ND1s I've driven, especially up top. Very noticeable difference.

When I got home I installed the GWR race exhaust, I was tired of how boring the stock exhaust was. I didn't expect any difference as I mentioned above, but it definitely makes more power. Feels even more solid up top and smoother everywhere somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xal_A3TVwpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hkOvp3X5Fk
Old 12-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #27
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Sounds much better.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #28
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

It's soooo much easier to drive with the exhaust, holy crap. Banging off heel-toe downshifts is cake when you can hear what the car is doing. I'm getting impatient and I want to throw the shocks on, but I'm waiting for bumpstops...
Old 12-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #29
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Huge improvement in sound for sure!

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #30
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
It's soooo much easier to drive with the exhaust, holy crap. Banging off heel-toe downshifts is cake when you can hear what the car is doing. I'm getting impatient and I want to throw the shocks on, but I'm waiting for bumpstops...
Don't forget about the hoosiers...

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #31
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Don't forget about the hoosiers...
We need SP-lite so I can be dumb with an STR prepped car and throw Hoosiers on it and be competitive, haha.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #32
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
We need SP-lite so I can be dumb with an STR prepped car and throw Hoosiers on it and be competitive, haha.
I agree. I think SP classes with tire width restrictions and some other changes would be a great place to be. The benefits of Hoosier without all the fender destruction.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #33
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I installed the rear MCS shocks last night. Noticeably better ride quality than the Bilsteins, but that wasn't the point.

I expected an increase in ride height with the higher gas pressures and fat shock shafts, but thankfully it's not noticeable over the Bilsteins.

Unfortunately, no events until next year. Likely debuting at the Charlotte Champ Tour (perfect place to debut a new car is a national event, right? )
Old 12-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #34
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I installed the rear MCS shocks last night. Noticeably better ride quality than the Bilsteins, but that wasn't the point.

I expected an increase in ride height with the higher gas pressures and fat shock shafts, but thankfully it's not noticeable over the Bilsteins.

Unfortunately, no events until next year. Likely debuting at the Charlotte Champ Tour (perfect place to debut a new car is a national event, right? )
Dang that's some ride height! I wonder how much of the improved ride quality is from ride height increase (depending on shock travel of course)? Of course higher quality shocks make a huge difference too.

This thing is going to be a straight up assassin in your hands around those cones. I'm really looking forward to seeing it go.

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:12 AM   #35
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I don't think the ride height changed much, if any

Installed the Karcepts front swaybar & finished up the MCS install today

Started the day with taking a cutoff wheel to a brand new car...

I was way too excited about the zerk fittings, I hate having to take stuff apart to lube it and this is awesome!

A little throwback for the NA fans

Old 12-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #36
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Final ride heights. 14-3/8" front and 14-3/4" rear. Maybe slightly higher than stock (1/8" or so?) but well worth being on WAY better shocks.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #37
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

I'm not sure I understand the ride height problem. Can you not change springs in street? I forget the rules at this point.

Anyway, that swaybar is awesome. I would love to get something like that on my CSP car.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #38
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
I'm not sure I understand the ride height problem. Can you not change springs in street? I forget the rules at this point.

Anyway, that swaybar is awesome. I would love to get something like that on my CSP car.
Stock springs in street class. They're slightly stiffer than ND1 springs, but whatever. Still mushy.

The bar is very awesome. Easy to adjust too, turn the wheel all the way to one side and reach in there with a ratcheting wrench, pop the link out and swing the it to where you want and reinstall the nut. No fiddling with end link lengths or anything, it's awesome.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:17 PM   #39
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

any chance you know the site where i can find events for North Eastern PA auto cross schedule for 2019? i'm thinking i'd like to try to get the Sti out to a few events this summer if I can.
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:37 PM   #40
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
any chance you know the site where i can find events for North Eastern PA auto cross schedule for 2019? i'm thinking i'd like to try to get the Sti out to a few events this summer if I can.
http://nepascca.org/solo/ they'll be there or on NEPASCCA Solo page on Facebook when they get a schedule together in the next month or so