TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #41
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Sir, I think your car is missing a pedal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #42
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Completed the interior part of the project today by adding the M Performance shift knob, ebrake and aluminum trim kit. The aluminum trim kit is not cheap when going through the dealer or even forums/ebay but I found a scrapyard that had the set for the 09-11 E90 w/ navigation (rare) and didn't know what they had. It is in immaculate condition!

Now the pedals aluminum trim matches the steering wheel, which matches the shifter, ebrake handle and the trim of the car's dash, doors and console.

My vision came out perfectly!

Here's the old shift knob...started to peel, reveal itself as a cheap chrome sticker basically:

This piece right here is not easy to find used:

The new console area:

Door pieces in, one for each door:

Completed interior:

List of changes done:
-X1 Sport steering wheel (heated)
-335i Sport seats (heated)
-Rear fold-down seats w/ ski access
-BMW/Alpine Hi-Fi stereo retrofit kit
-CIC Navigation system firmware and maps updated
-SiriusXM turned on (hardware existed but needs code change to enable)
-Aluminum trim kit
-BMW M Performance shift knob w/ boot, ebrake w/ boot, pedals

Two items I'm still trying to decide on are an Apple CarPlay retrofit kit and a reverse camera retrofit kit. We'll see how long I go before I wire those up to the factory system.

But yeah, interior done.

Tires, TPMS sensors are next for the CSL wheels and then those will be on the car.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #43
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
I like it. I generally dislike silver trim, but it goes well together in there
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #44
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I like it. I generally dislike silver trim, but it goes well together in there
Thank you...that's all BMW on that one, I just got rid of the plastic wood

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #45
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

That silver trim looks great!
Old 12-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #46
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
That silver trim looks great!
Thank you! It really brightens the interior up vs. the wood.

I did consider/look into replacing the light gray headliner and pillars with a full black OEM part kit but the install with moonroof would take me forever and looks like a total PITA...maybe if I get bored someday and want a 3-4 day project.

Smaller update:

-Ordered new TPMS sensors which arrive tomorrow
-Ordered the CarPlay emulator and reverse camera retrofit kit

Need to pick up some all seasons for the wheels next and have them m+b'd.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #47
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
I did consider/look into replacing the light gray headliner and pillars with a full black OEM part kit but the install with moonroof would take me forever and looks like a total PITA...maybe if I get bored someday and want a 3-4 day project.
Check with a local interior shop for a re-wrap. might be a lot cheaper (and easier). Last time I had a headliner done, I provided the suede for them and they charged me 200 in labor.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #48
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
Check with a local interior shop for a re-wrap. might be a lot cheaper (and easier). Last time I had a headliner done, I provided the suede for them and they charged me 200 in labor.
Good idea! The moonroof portion is the one that made me cringe the most. The rest is do-able over a weekend. Time to search for a local shop.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-06-2019, 05:41 PM   #49
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

I drove the E90 back to PA for a day trip to visit some high school friends that were in town for the holidays. As soon as I arrived back in Allentown, the low oil level light popped on the dash.

Since I just didn't feel like dealing with working on a car at the time, (or really this entire holiday break), I called up Daniels BMW to get me in for a top-off. $11 and 20 minutes later, the oil was filled and the E90 continued to chug along.

The oil was last changed in late March/early April and has maybe 4k on it. The usual suspects are leaks from the valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, oil pan gasket, or the eccentric shaft sensor gasket.

Previously, I had noticed a small dried dab of oil near the valve cover gasket in the usual spot. I'll worry about this later.

CarPlay box and rear view camera were received too. Tons of wires and no desire at this point. Check back in another few weeks as I work up the motivation to wrench again

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #50
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
It's gonna be warm this week, get to work!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #51
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
It's gonna be warm this week, get to work!
Haha, this is my mileage mule for the work commute days from richmond to dc. no desire after those drives to lift a wrench.

i'll pop the hood and give it a look to see if it's anything i should be bothered with.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #52
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Took the car in for state inspection and the right rear shock is blown and leaking oil onto the control arm.

Perfect timing to order one of the last in-stock B12 kits from Tirerack. Going to stockpile parts over the next few months for the summer rebuild project.

Almost at 79,000 miles now on the car. Another 200,000 left to go.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #53
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

In my garage right now I have:

- Bilstein B12 kit
- Front and Rear Suspension bushings for the B12 install
- VMR VB3 CSL style 18” wheels
- new set of TPMS sensors
- new BMW center caps for the wheels
- new drivers door seal
- Reverse camera kit
- Apple Carplay kit

Need tires yet, but this is going to be a fun spring.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 05-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #54
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Golf R made this car a bit redundant, so it’s now gone.

Parts listed above are for sale for anyone interested

/
/
/
/
/