TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #41
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
2nd pic at the reservoir looks nice. Neat color

You going to earn that tow hook with a trip to the track??!?
Thank you! That's mostly filter I was using a lot to show anything on the car with the sun hitting it from the top. Maybe next time I head out there the color can be more realistic, but that's a popular photo and i'll take the compliments

I just got past 1500 miles, so I need to do the last break-in oil change for the motor and rear dif, get the brake fluid changed to DOT4 and get the alignment squared away. I also want the dealer to address the rear deck rattle, thin paint on my door edge and the front bumper has two protrusions under it that might require a new bumper to be put on.

Also, the corners of the rear bumper aren't aligned right. (I could fix these myself quite easily but I do have a warranty).

Have I mentioned that I still haven't heard back or received the DSC controller yet? It's still on backorder!

Anyways....track days are coming. Most likely September/October before it gets too rainy or cold for the Goodyears.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #42
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Had the 1500 mile oil change and rear dif fluid changed today.

Also had them look at the interior rattle coming from the rear deck, a thin paint spot on the drivers door seam, the front bumper protrusion above the flowtie, and the rear bumper alignment at the taillight corners.

Interior rattle was not found. It's also 90+ degrees out so I imagine the glue is pliable right now. I'll take it back in once it gets colder out.

The thin paint spot was taken out with some rubbing compound. There was some paint transfer there from somewhere else that needed some grit to be removed.

The bumpers are going to be removed and the bodyshop is contacting the regional GM rep because both issues are appearing on 2018's and they want to know if GM is aware and if so, what the recommended fix is at this time.

So in two weeks, I'll be bringing the car back in and we'll see what GM says.

Otherwise, the car is broken in and it puts one of those stupid grins on your face everytime you drive it.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #43
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

No update from DSC about the controller sent to them in May. Decided to call them since the tracking number sent in July never updated.

- They are in the midst of a new box design that ditches the mini-usb connection for a better located usb port at the bottom of the new box.

- The new boxes are 60 days out for production

- Expectation is to have the new box sometime in January

- Many apologies for the delays, so we worked together to develop a communications plan since it's not only me that's in the dark about what's going on. They're going to include this information in the next newsletter and try to bring some updates to the site other than *backordered*. There is also hope that by having different communication lists (new buyer, returning customer, warranty repairs) that they can send targeted product updates better.

Not mad at them despite having issues with the faulty controller back in March, sending it in for replacement in May, getting an empty tracking number in July and only getting some update today when I called...the team/product are good but communication is obviously not their skillset at this time.

Cliff Notes: it looks like it won't be until next spring before the ZL1 has the DSC Sport controller on it.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #44
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Awesome

Buddy of mine got his DSC controller for his GT350 and has been doing some driving around. Their out of the box tune is apparently pretty bad, all floaty and such... So I may be helping to refine a DSC suspension tune
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #45
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Awesome

Buddy of mine got his DSC controller for his GT350 and has been doing some driving around. Their out of the box tune is apparently pretty bad, all floaty and such... So I may be helping to refine a DSC suspension tune
Yeah, not ideal but let's be honest: The ZL1 as-is is more than my driving ability can make use of. This would just be icing on the cake for adjustability. Plus, if it's like the SS and the car is even more athletic with it on, holy...

Hell yes! That's great news! It's the real point of having the DSC, that tunability. Looking forward to your findings

One more thing I got with Chevrolet Rewards points:

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 09-14-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #46
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

I did some winter paint prep today on the ZL1. The carnuba-based wax had lasted a little over a month since the car is garaged and now with colder temps coming in, I wanted to seal the paint to give it that 2-3 months of protection. This job took me forever (5 hours or so) because I was learning the steps and also filling up a new clay bar with an unbelievable amount of dirt. This car will need a professional detail in the spring to remove some of these deposits in the clear coat that I couldn't get out today. As much as I'd like to learn how to polish, etc. this isn't the car I want to learn on haha.

First, the two bucket wash:

Then the Iron and Contaminant Spray, wash:

Then a claybar and wash:

Then a rinse and H2O Guard and Gloss paint sealant:

Then to finish it all off, Quick Detailer spray for some more gloss:

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 10-01-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #47
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Looks fantastic. Want to come do my car? I don't have the patience required for that.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #48
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Looks fantastic. Want to come do my car? I don't have the patience required for that.
Haha thank you!

Any dream of doing this for some side cash went out the window yesterday around hour 4. Maybe I'll use the BMW to learn how to polish and buff paint... overall, just a time eater...and the clearcoat is still dirty.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #49
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

First performance mod ordered for the car to correct the one area of "weakness" that the regular ZL1 has: Rear cradle movement.

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=...635&superpro=0

Reviews have been extremely positive from the guys that have done this mod with either the BMR part or the GMPP offer.

For the ZL1 1LE, Chevy went with solid aluminum mounts here, but that's a 10 hour install and this will get me 80-90% there for a mostly street driven car.

The rest of the ZL1 1LE upgrades aren't matched to the MRC setup and I have no interest in the DSSVs. It looks like this will be it in terms of physical changes to the suspension. The DSC box will cap it off whenever that's available.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #50
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Haha thank you!

Any dream of doing this for some side cash went out the window yesterday around hour 4. Maybe I'll use the BMW to learn how to polish and buff paint... overall, just a time eater...and the clearcoat is still dirty.
LOL. I'd never detail cars for a side job or living unless I was being paid a LOT.

Quote:
First performance mod ordered for the car to correct the one area of "weakness" that the regular ZL1 has: Rear cradle movement.

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=...635&superpro=0

Reviews have been extremely positive from the guys that have done this mod with either the BMR part or the GMPP offer.

For the ZL1 1LE, Chevy went with solid aluminum mounts here, but that's a 10 hour install and this will get me 80-90% there for a mostly street driven car.

The rest of the ZL1 1LE upgrades aren't matched to the MRC setup and I have no interest in the DSSVs. It looks like this will be it in terms of physical changes to the suspension. The DSC box will cap it off whenever that's available.
Are there videos of the rear cradle flopping around? There are for the Mustangs and it's incredible how much it moves... I imagine the Camaro is just as bad.

Install should be fairly easy, but will need an alignment. I did the same mod on my BRZ, but I did too much at once to notice a difference.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #51
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
LOL. I'd never detail cars for a side job or living unless I was being paid a LOT.
that explains why the local guy wants $2k to ceramic coat the car...

Quote:
Are there videos of the rear cradle flopping around? There are for the Mustangs and it's incredible how much it moves... I imagine the Camaro is just as bad.

Install should be fairly easy, but will need an alignment. I did the same mod on my BRZ, but I did too much at once to notice a difference.
Yes! On the link I shared, if you go under the videos tab there is one showing how much it flexes from the factory on an SS. The ZL1 cradle bushings aren't different but they have even more power/weight going through them, so i'd imagine the flex could be worse.

A few people have done the full BMR rear suspension but most say just do these and the car is 100%. (and then the complaining about GM "cheaping out" start)

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #52
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Ah, I didn't see the videos tab before. Geez.

"cheapening out" yet still weighs less than the Mustang with all of its aluminum usage... Whatever.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #53
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Ah, I didn't see the videos tab before. Geez.

"cheapening out" yet still weighs less than the Mustang with all of its aluminum usage... Whatever.
There's always the ungrateful group amongst us.

Car runs 7:13-7:29 on the 'Ring for under $70k and it's GM cheaping out on a bushing set. It's pretty funny

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #54
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

BMR bushings arrived a few days ago, need to clear out some time for the wrenching time to put them in, then it'll need an alignment. The next big item coming up is the AREA1320 dyno day on the 21st where we'll see what the ZL1 puts down to the pavement bone stock.

I've gone to the local Richmond Cars and Coffee events lately with it. Parked in the back and the car still attracts people. It's pretty cool since I'm not going to show it, just going to look at the rest of the cars. Good to know that the detailing has kept it looking nice.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #55
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Hmm, might have to swing by the AREA1320 shop then!

Awesome that it attracts so much attention in a tame color! Seriously, so shiny.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #56
kehess
Noob-Jersey

Member #26753

Definitely have to check this out at Area1320.
kehess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:18 PM   #57
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Thanks guys, hope to see you both there!

Going to autocross tomorrow. Let’s see how badly I do with this sledgehammer haha

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #58
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Thanks guys, hope to see you both there!

Going to autocross tomorrow. Let’s see how badly I do with this sledgehammer haha
My results from the autocross were first gear, slow first two runs then on the 3rd, the infamous curtain airbags deployed. Car was towed to the dealer where they are repairing it to the tune of roughly $7,000.

Once repaired, the car will be sold. I gave GM two tries. No more.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #59
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I make fun of GM a lot... but man, I'm sorry That **** just flat sucks.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #60
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
My results from the autocross were first gear, slow first two runs then on the 3rd, the infamous curtain airbags deployed. Car was towed to the dealer where they are repairing it to the tune of roughly $7,000.

Once repaired, the car will be sold. I gave GM two tries. No more.
Wow, seriously? Can you elaborate a little more? That's insane that the airbags can deploy from hard driving in a performance vehicle.

Glad you're okay, I'm sure that was quite the mid run surprise!
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote