TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #21
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
I was going to recommend ceramic coating the wheels asap but then I read the whole post haha. The last new set I bought I ceramic coated before anything else and they have held up nicely to DD duties.
Which ceramic coat did you go with? It's on my To-Do list as the next thing. The paint already has some crap in it from the highway drive from the dealer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #22
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Which ceramic coat did you go with? It's on my To-Do list as the next thing. The paint already has some crap in it from the highway drive from the dealer.
I may have lied. I'm not sure its ceramic, super hydrophobic with its main component being silica.

Anyway CQuartz stuff is what I used. THis little bottle was more than enough for my 4 wheels.

Cleaned with dish soap
cleaned with isopropyl alcohol
Coat per instructions (don't let it sit to long!)

I bought it in 2016 and haven't touched them since other than normal washing.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #23
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I may have lied. I'm not sure its ceramic, super hydrophobic with its main component being silica.

Anyway CQuartz stuff is what I used. THis little bottle was more than enough for my 4 wheels.

Cleaned with dish soap
cleaned with isopropyl alcohol
Coat per instructions (don't let it sit to long!)

I bought it in 2016 and haven't touched them since other than normal washing.
Wow, since 2016? I'm going to buy that now. Thank you Did you take the wheels off the car and do the whole wheel or just the outside?

DSC emailed me back - they'll have a new V3 controller in the mail tomorrow.

Not sure this car needs anything at all beyond paint protection - but this should be a nice addition.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #24
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Wow, since 2016? I'm going to buy that now. Thank you Did you take the wheels off the car and do the whole wheel or just the outside?

DSC emailed me back - they'll have a new V3 controller in the mail tomorrow.

Not sure this car needs anything at all beyond paint protection - but this should be a nice addition.
The wheels were off and I did the whole thing just because. I did them right after I took them out of the box so I knew they weren't dirty in anyway.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #25
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
The wheels were off and I did the whole thing just because. I did them right after I took them out of the box so I knew they weren't dirty in anyway.
Ahh ok. I'll have to really scrub mine then and take them off the car.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #26
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

DSC Sport controller - no update...waiting on shipment. The label was created, but nothing else.

Changed engine oil at 570 miles. Changing the eLSD dif fluid out this Saturday. Having the factory alignment checked and then set to street spec (-1 all around) to ensure tire life.

Chevrolet Rewards gifted me 20,000 points for buying the new car. I redeemed them for some ZL1 floor and trunk mats and Adams wheel cleaner.

1,000 more miles and one more Engine/Dif fluid change at 1,500 miles then the car is broken in per factory spec. I may be ready for an autocross or event by late September? I want to get new numbers/letters in a different color combo.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 07-18-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #27
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Some impressions after another week with the car:

- Ingress/Egress is more difficult due to the side spoilers and deep bolstering of the Recaros. They definitely sit lower too. Reminds me of my 911 a little bit, have to be more careful getting in and out.

- The Goodyear tires have gotten noisier now that they've broken in. They are also not suitable for rain of any sort. For the first time in a long time, the car caught me offguard when it changed directions into a guardrail on the highway over some wet roads. The tires hydroplane very easily and this is traced to the aggressive tread pattern of the factory Goodyears. I haven't decided what to do yet with the tires since they work so damn well on track or autox. Do I go full winter set wheels+tires and just burn through these and replace later with something that works better in the wet at the expense of dry traction like PS4s? Or is there a better option in ZL1 sizing? At this level, seems to only be trade-offs.

- The shifter vibrates noticeably while driving. It's bouncing around. I don't remember my SS with the same shifter doing that. I will pay more attention.

- Rear speaker deck has a rattle that my SS did not have. Will fix that with some felt.

- Front end clearance is better than the SS due to not having the spoiler extensions at the bottom for the smaller SS brakes.

- 17mpg is my best currently, but definitely going through more gas than usual. That supercharger whine is addictive.

- Brakes and Power...just wow.

- Alcantara is not my most favorite material for touchpoints. Can already sense that maintenance on the steering wheel and shift knob are going to be higher to keep it looking good.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 07-25-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #28
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Alcantara for touch points is dumb. I wish manufacturers would knock that **** off.

I'd get Michelin PS4S or Continental ECS tires when the Goodyears are done. Sure, less grip, but c'mon...
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #29
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Alcantara for touch points is dumb. I wish manufacturers would knock that **** off.

I'd get Michelin PS4S or Continental ECS tires when the Goodyears are done. Sure, less grip, but c'mon...
Me too...give me a nice flat bottom leather wheel and i'm happy. (like the GTI's wheel...perfect!)

Yeah, it's a safety issue with the Goodyears (waits for some internet hero to disagree with me). Anything above 45mph and the car is sliding out of its lane...it's got me white knuckling the wheel at points and driving the car in Snow/Ice mode to lessen abrupt throttle changes. Feels ****ing weird to be driving like this.

The only thing with the PS4S or ECS is how well do they hold up to an HPDE weekend or autocrossing? (genuinely curious). I know my driving skill isn't going to be able to do a direct comparison in lap times, but will they lose grip after say 5 laps?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #30
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

PS4S will be fine on track. ECS should be as well, though a bit slower, it'll be easier to drive at the limit than the PS4S. PS4S is definitely faster though.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #31
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
PS4S will be fine on track. ECS should be as well, though a bit slower, it'll be easier to drive at the limit than the PS4S. PS4S is definitely faster though.
Time to renew that Costco membership then. Thanks, think i'll go with the Michelins. I really liked the PSS's on my old M3.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #32
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Off-Idle stumble and bumble hasn't improved with more clutch time with this car. I notice a larger than normal difference depending on what shoes I am wearing too. This clutch/gas dance is very finicky. I'm either bogged down/stalled out or frying the clutch and having to pedal off the gas a little bit. Crazy on/off switch off idle and part throttle low RPM.

I could raise the idle speed in the tune (600rpm stock) quite easily to 650-700 and it would definitely help. I am not very excited to touch the tune due to previous SS engine issues and warranty concerns (tune = denied).

There are a lot of ZO6 owners on the Corvette forum mentioning the wonders of the Tony Mamo ported throttle body curing 90% of these issues using a ported stock TB. More info here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ts-inside.html

This car doesn't need anymore power, and I don't want anymore power. I was hoping to keep it stock outside of pads and tires. Something to think about as I get more miles under my belt with the stock setup (1300 miles now...200 left in break-in). Hopefully I won't need a new clutch in a year or two (sheesh this is embarrassing to admit).

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #33
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Interesting. I hadn't heard about any issues with getting the thing off the line. I have to imagine that's tune related, no?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #34
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Interesting. I hadn't heard about any issues with getting the thing off the line. I have to imagine that's tune related, no?
Here’s a thread where Al O. answers some
questions about launching the car (side note: new top gear has a segment with Rory where he stalls the car)

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520373

The rest are just experiences posted on the ZL1 forum. M6 owners common complaint. Software driven to protect the drivetrain.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #35
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

So, Al O. just says you need to stop sucking :p haha
Old 08-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #36
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
So, Al O. just says you need to stop sucking :p haha

Yup. Reading between the lines, the software to protect the drivetrain isn’t going away.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #37
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I am curious how that plays into the low speed "pulling off the line" issues. Maybe the slow engagement of the clutch to smooth out the starts is causing it to reduce power until the clutch is fully engaged, so you have power to pull away and it suddenly bogs, then lurches forwards again when the clutch pedal is fully released?
Old 08-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #38
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I am curious how that plays into the low speed "pulling off the line" issues. Maybe the slow engagement of the clutch to smooth out the starts is causing it to reduce power until the clutch is fully engaged, so you have power to pull away and it suddenly bogs, then lurches forwards again when the clutch pedal is fully released?
exactly the process that has been happening, you nailed it 100%.

I've been driving around it with a lot of throttle and a slow slip of the clutch. My driveway is where most of this occurs as I'm backing up the hill out of the driveway. Not ideal at all for clutch life, especially since the throttle ramps up very quickly once you get past 1k. No burnt smells yet at least, but I have done a mini burnout, then a stall in my driveway in reverse. My neighbors must love this car.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 08-17-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #39
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Let's add an update with photos. Here are the accessories added to the car over the last month or so:

- floormats, trunk mat, red tow-hook (gotta join the cool kids)

The mats make a nice difference to the interior:

and the trunk:

Cool kid red tow-hook:

Unfortunately, I hit a pothole and nailed the passenger front wheel:

but had it repaired:

and finally, I was able to take some photos at the reservoir near my home. Unfortunately, filters had to be used to lighten up the car with the sun's position at that time of day.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #40
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

2nd pic at the reservoir looks nice. Neat color

You going to earn that tow hook with a trip to the track??!?