TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Dave's ZL1

I traded in the SS yesterday (Build Thread). After getting the car back from the dealership, the engine was running rough and despite their clean bill of health, the lifter tick was louder than before I took it in, the car stumbled on/off throttle and it would nearly stall at traffic lights. I could either continue to work the service department and hope they eventually do the right thing and pull the heads off to look at the motor, but that is a waste of effort and time.

So I drove/limped the car into a different Chevy dealership that was advertising $8k off of 2018 ZL1's. After a couple hours of negotiation with me ready to walk away, but my wife closing the deal instead (keeper), we ended up getting the ZL1 for $90 more a month. After negative equity, GAP, road hazard, extended bumper to bumper warranty, interest, taxes and principal, we essentially will have gotten the ZL1 for a little under sticker at full term. We worked a miracle and a former colleague of mine from VWoA gave me his GM discount to use which made it all come together.

Before the photos, here are the options:

-Manual transmission
-Performance Data Recorder
-Carbon fiber hood insert
-Wheel locks
-Sunroof (I know, but I'm not on the track 99% of the time and the Camaro needs more light in the interior)

It doesn't come with Navigation like my SS had, but it has the same 8" screen and with IOS12, I can use Google Maps/Waze through CarPlay so problem solved.

As part of the deal, I also had them swap the dark taillights and side markers over. I also took out the cargo net. The sport pedals, ignition button and strut tower bar remained on the SS since they either come standard on the ZL1 or don't fit over the supercharger (strut bar).

Picture time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 06-28-2018 at 09:28 AM.
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

The differences between the ZL1 and my SS are numerous but I'll sum them up here:

- Wider wheels and tires (245 to 285 front, 275 to 305 rear)
- Bigger brakes (4 piston to 6 piston front, 13.6" rotor to 15.4", ZL1 has 4 piston rears with 14.4" rotors)
- Side skirts, rear diffuser, front spoiler extension, wider rear spoiler
- SS 1LE suspension and drivetrain (short shifter) with slightly different spring rates to accommodate the extra weight up front from the supercharger
- 3" exhaust tips (vs. 2.75" on the SS)
- Recaro heated/vented seats
- Alcantara interior trim on door panels, knee pads, center console, dash, steering wheel, shift knob and shift boot
- Red colored seat belts
- Performance Data Recorder (with various video overlays for data recording)
- eDif with PTM (electro-mechanical rear differential with 6 different performance traction management settings)
- Line lock, launch control modes for drag racing
- Shift lights on the HUD (really cool addition!)

and I think that's it....oh wait:

-650 horsepower 650 foot lbs of torque LT4 engine (supercharged 6.2 liter V8) from the Corvette ZO6

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 06-29-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Driving Impressions vs. the SS:

- Power: It just pulls and pulls, although i'm still breaking the motor in so I haven't gone above 4k yet. The transient boost response is nearly instant and the pull is just linear through midrange off idle.

- Clutch: Actually feels lighter and more like my GTI clutch did? Really odd and I've stalled the car twice already because I couldn't decide on clutch or torque for starting the car off. Reverse is requiring me to learn the car a little bit.

- Steering/Handling: Still breaking the car in, but the levels of grip are definitely higher and the most surprising thing to me is how agile the car is. The extra 200+lbs isn't felt vs. the SS so far (but I'm sure on an autocross I'll feel something).

- Brakes: The SS would slide a bit when you applied the brakes. Could be break-in, could be pads, whatever. The ZL1 just hauls your ass down. And I love that.

- Ride quality: Wonderful. So comfortable.

- Noise level: The exhaust is definitely louder. My wife said she can hear the car coming into the neighborhood now. The SS was heard but not as far away. I'm going to be putting the exhaust into Stealth mode before I enter the neighborhood now.

So, while the shifter feels the same as my SS since I had put the 1LE shifter in that car, the suspension does not. I swear the factory bolts things on better, because despite both having the 1LE mag ride setup, the ZL1 just rides quieter, smoother and softer. It could just be new car glue, but overall it's a nicer drive. Steering is quick but a little light, brakes feel much stronger and the power is just hilarious.

This is the right car for me. It's the only other car other than the 911 where driving it makes me laugh like a kid at the capabilities of the machine. The driver involvement (due to the wide tires) is very similar as well. You're much more connected to the experience.

What an incredible machine...and it's all mine.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 06-28-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Awesome. Congrats dude! Big upgrade. Interesting to hear how it feels better than the SS even though you had so many ZL1 parts.

Sunroof is interesting. Camaro cabin could definitely use the extra light, that's great. Not a fan of the weight or loss of headroom, but... You're not racing it (even if you were the difference is likely negligible) and you're not freakishly tall like me, haha.

I'm interested in your feedback on how you feel the eDiff helps. That's a HUGE step up over a standard diff, supposedly.

Does the offer to beat on it carry between Camaros?

Last edited by DocWalt; 06-28-2018 at 11:30 AM.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Awesome. Congrats dude! Big upgrade. Interesting to hear how it feels better than the SS even though you had so many ZL1 parts.

Sunroof is interesting. Camaro cabin could definitely use the extra light, that's great. Not a fan of the weight or loss of headroom, but... You're not racing it (even if you were the difference is likely negligible) and you're not freakishly tall like me, haha.

I'm interested in your feedback on how you feel the eDiff helps. That's a HUGE step up over a standard diff, supposedly.

Does the offer to beat on it carry between Camaros?
Thanks man! It's a lot more car than I've ever had before.

Yeah, could be new bushings, glue and new tires all making the car more comfortable yet more taut to response...i really don't entirely understand it although i do know that the ZL1 has different rear knuckles and of course stiffer bushings.

Yeah, the sunroof cuts into the headroom a lot, although the Recaro seats do sit noticeably lower than the SS seats do, which is going to help a lot. and since i'll never be close to pro-level in track abilities, doubt i'll ever notice the negative handling impacts. In the meantime, the interior isn't a cave. haha

I've been driving the car around my workday today and finally got a turn where I could feel the eDif. It is AMAZING. The SS would have gone wide out back, the ZL1 just pulled the ass in on its own. Really different feeling to the car...it's like the Performance Pack GTI but in reverse and at a much higher limit.

Still struggling with the new clutch engagement point from a stop.

Of course it does, it's an autocross, you won't leave...1st gear

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

I'm confused I think. The ZL1 gets the SS1le suspension package. This is not a ZL1 1LE right? (I don't see a big wang and canards) So no DSSV.

Regardless this is an awesome car and I have a jealous.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
I'm confused I think. The ZL1 gets the SS1le suspension package. This is not a ZL1 1LE right? (I don't see a big wang and canards) So no DSSV.

Regardless this is an awesome car and I have a jealous.
It's Chevy's fault for all of the letter/number nomenclature.

The mag-ride suspension that is optional on the SS Camaro is the FE3

The SS also has an optional package called the 1LE that is uprated spring rates, swaybars, stiffer control arm bushings F+R, and mag-ride tuning...that package is called the FE4. (This also comes as an optional kit for the FE3 cars which is what I had done on my SS)

The regular ZL1 that I bought comes with the FE4 but with different front spring rates due to the extra engine weight over the regular SS.

The ZL1 1LE comes with the DSSV dampers, replacing the mag-ride, solid aluminum bushings, different swaybar out back and that suspension is called the FEA.

If you want to go deeper indepth, the rear knuckles change between the FE3 and FE4/FEA too.

So my ZL1 is 100% FE4 but with modified front spring rates.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 06-28-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:37 PM   #8
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Just did a quick thrust comparison... Holy crap the ZL1 is fast in a straight line.

Diff sounds amazing. I really need to try a PP GTI, it's a bit easier to approach the limits of

Are you going to try the DSC controller on the new car?
Old 06-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Just did a quick thrust comparison... Holy crap the ZL1 is fast in a straight line.

Diff sounds amazing. I really need to try a PP GTI, it's a bit easier to approach the limits of

Are you going to try the DSC controller on the new car?
Mind showing the thrust calcs? I'm curious to see

Haha, much easier! They come with all-seasons

Yes.

Took the car out last night with my wife. She doesn't find it to be as comfortable as the SS was...must be the seats. Ah well. It's not uncomfortable either, so I'll take that. She didn't like the 911 at all for long drives so this is a win in my book.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 06-29-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
It's Chevy's fault for all of the letter/number nomenclature.

The mag-ride suspension that is optional on the SS Camaro is the FE3

The SS also has an optional package called the 1LE that is uprated spring rates, swaybars, stiffer control arm bushings F+R, and mag-ride tuning...that package is called the FE4. (This also comes as an optional kit for the FE3 cars which is what I had done on my SS)

The regular ZL1 that I bought comes with the FE4 but with different front spring rates due to the extra engine weight over the regular SS.

The ZL1 1LE comes with the DSSV dampers, replacing the mag-ride, solid aluminum bushings, different swaybar out back and that suspension is called the FEA.

If you want to go deeper indepth, the rear knuckles change between the FE3 and FE4/FEA too.

So my ZL1 is 100% FE4 but with modified front spring rates.
Thanks for the clarification.

I almost think mag ride is the way to go for a street car. Kinda the best of both worlds race/street.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 06-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

I almost think mag ride is the way to go for a street car. Kinda the best of both worlds race/street.
Anytime...it's a bit of a cluster because these are trim packages within model trims and the options vary within the packages.

Agreed...I always wanted mag-ride and once I got it, want to keep it. I have no interest in the DSSV setup no matter how good it makes the car on track.

I am looking forward to getting the DSC controller back and hooking that up. It seems to maximize the car's potential with mag-ride.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

One of those "look back" moments

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #13
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

That's assuming 305/30-19 tires for autocross on your car. Approximate Gs with no driver and not traction or aero limited, etc etc. In reality I see like 0.55G accel in 2nd gear, IIRC.

I really want to experience DSSV but it doesn't sound great for street use yet. Maybe if they can add an electrically controlled valve system to bleed off force on the street and make it more comfortable.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #14
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:

That's assuming 305/30-19 tires for autocross on your car. Approximate Gs with no driver and not traction or aero limited, etc etc. In reality I see like 0.55G accel in 2nd gear, IIRC.

I really want to experience DSSV but it doesn't sound great for street use yet. Maybe if they can add an electrically controlled valve system to bleed off force on the street and make it more comfortable.
Thanks for sharing! It took me a little to understand what that chart was showing. It looks like some slower cars pull more g’s in the first two gears than the ZL1?

I’d be running 305/30/20 out back, so my accel may be slower.

3.73 rear end it that helps at all. Ive read that it’ll do 60 in first gear.

200 miles in on the car now. First oil and eLsD oil changes due at 500.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #15
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Yeah, gearing helps the other cars, but the ZL1 just pulls and pulls! When they have to upshift you're still pulling. Besides, none of them can put down power in first gear.

I'll have to re-do it with 305/30-20s and I'll update the graphic.

vv with the correct size tire you'll be on.

Last edited by DocWalt; 07-01-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #16
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Yeah, gearing helps the other cars, but the ZL1 just pulls and pulls! When they have to upshift you're still pulling. Besides, none of them can put down power in first gear.

I'll have to re-do it with 305/30-20s and I'll update the graphic.

vv with the correct size tire you'll be on.

Thank you for doing this!

GM's instructions are to keep the engine below 4k for the first 500 miles. Normally, I'd disregard it but after the SS engine....

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #17
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Man the ZL1 seems to have very long gearing. 2nd over 80 mph. Good thing they have all that power to keep the thrust up!

1rst gear autos are quite short, I hope the shift quickly.

Great chart DocWalt

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 07-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #18
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Man the ZL1 seems to have very long gearing. 2nd over 80 mph. Good thing they have all that power to keep the thrust up!

1rst gear autos are quite short, I hope the shift quickly.

Great chart DocWalt
Yeah it does, but it honestly doesn't feel that way in the limited miles that I've had the car due to all the torque.

Here's a great thread with all the technical information on the car in one spot:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482277

The vehicle weight of 3883 for the manual coupe is lower than I expected. Still a lot, 200lbs more than a 1LE SS.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #19
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Got to drive the car more this past weekend to extend the mileage to 472 miles. It's now ready for the first oil change and eLSD oil change. Expectation is quite a bit of metal flakes in the rear differential as it breaks in. I'd like to do the changes myself since they're relatively easy to do, but the first two changes are free from Chevy and having a service history might not be a bad idea with how the SS turned out.

I got some knick knacks for the ZL1 and did a detail day on the car using Adam's wash/detailer/wax on the exterior and invisible glass on the windows. The wheels take forever on this car to clean since there are so many spokes. The exhaust tips cleaned right off at this low mileage.

Door striker covers are back on

Adam's foam cannon works well:

After the wax:

Pictures didn't capture how wet the car looked after this wax, but the reflections are really nice. GM uses good quality paint processes on this car.

Next time I will be clay-barring the car and applying ceramic coat. I just wanted to get something on there in a few hours over the weekend.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 07-09-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #20
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

I was going to recommend ceramic coating the wheels asap but then I read the whole post haha. The last new set I bought I ceramic coated before anything else and they have held up nicely to DD duties.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-