TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #181
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Put some snow meats on the car. They don't fit very well and rub too much, but I'm still dailying it. The tires are 215/55/17 Blizzaks, on 7" wide, et55 wheels with a 25mm adapter currently. However, I have new 20mm adapters on order.

Untitled by Pat, on Flickr
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #182
sleeperSL2
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8422

Send a message via AIM to sleeperSL2
I don't know what it is but OEM mesh wheels look good no matter what. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Kyle
sleeperSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #183
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

wow, thats super flush.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #184
GolNat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #26054

My Ride:
2013 GTI 6MT Coupe

Those look sexy!!! OEM mesh is always a good way to go!!
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #185
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Thanks guys. I love these wheels.

I snagged some 20mm adapters from 42 Draft Designs during the Black Friday sale and dang they are super nice as far as adapters go.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #186
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Just did a bunch of maintenance on my car the weekend before last. Oil and filter, fuel filter, cabin filter, fresh stock engine mounts. I was going to put helper bags in the rear springs, but didn't get around to it. All of this, along with the hitch a while back, in preparation to make a return trip to Daytona for the Rolex 24 Hour.

Sadly, right after all that maintenance, I'm pretty sure my flywheel started rattling and making a bunch of noise. So, while I'm still daily driving the car, I'm not risking the flywheel fully failing somewhere in the middle of our 2000 mile round trip drive. Called an audible and found another vehicle to take and I'll further diagnose and **** with the flywheel after Daytona.

If it is 100% the flywheel, it'll probably get an uprated South Bend clutch, to future-proof it regarding power, and a fresh dual mass flywheel (these common rail TDIs have ****ty synchros that go bad with a single mass flywheel).
Old 01-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #187
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Let me know how you like the South Bend. I know I'll need to eventually upgrade the OEM one and I was looking towards SB with the DMFW
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #188
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

For sure. I was originally considering doing either the Sachs Race Engineering jobbie, the DIY HS Tuning RSR clutch (TTRS components), or the DKM twin disc, but I recently saw a really positive review on the South Bend on one of the TDI facebook groups and a link to KermaTDI's website. I actually hadn't seen the South Bend around anywhere until just the other day for whatever reason. And there really isn't a ton of discussion around of dual mass flywheel friendly clutches.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #189
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Welp, back from Daytona and back to work, so sad. It was a wild trip; so fun to have three of my friends with me. We drove straight through the night both ways. We drank a ton of beer. My watch said I walked a bajillion miles. And we still didn't do and see everything. It was the trip of a lifetime.

Anyway, I sat at my friend's coffee shop yesterday and sorted through all of my pictures. Here's some of my favorites and an album link, if you're interested.
2020 Rolex 24

IMG_8339 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_8268 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_8244 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_8421 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_8427 by Pat, on Flickr
IMG_8495 by Pat, on Flickr
Old 01-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #190
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Incredible pictures. I should do this at one time.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:46 PM   #191
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Love the pics. Wish I had gone, weather looked amazing too!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #192
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Man, I couldn't believe the weather! Such a 180 from last year and the rain, wind, and 30s*F temps. It was so beautiful the entire time.

Daytona is such a spectacle when you're there in person. Totally worth it, IMO.

I'm excited to get to some other races now. I'd love to do, maybe, Sebring next year and maybe Petit Le Mans. Watkins Glen is close by and would be really fun. My ultimate goal is to make it to Bathurst in the next five years.

Last edited by mckpat03; 01-30-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #193
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Man, I couldn't believe the weather! Such a 180 from last year and the rain, wind, and 30s*F temps. It was so beautiful the entire time.

Daytona is such a spectacle when you're there in person. Totally worth it, IMO.

I'm excited to get to some other races now. I'd love to do, maybe, Sebring next year and maybe Petit Le Mans. Watkins Glen is close by and would be really fun. My ultimate goal is to make it to Bathurst in the next five years.
I would love to make it to this race sometime. What not to love, florida in february and some awesome racing.

We used to go to Watkins Glen for Indy Cars and had a blast. Going for IMSA race would be cool. It's a beautiful track/area.

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:00 AM   #194
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Those shots look great! I love the clarity of the 6d at higher ISO.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:51 AM   #195
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Thanks, haha. As a total amateur, I do love this camera. However, I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to the low light environment of trying to get those ferris wheel shots lol. I should probably look at the exif and see what other photographers were doing last weekend, haha.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #196
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Thanks, haha. As a total amateur, I do love this camera. However, I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to the low light environment of trying to get those ferris wheel shots lol. I should probably look at the exif and see what other photographers were doing last weekend, haha.
Yeah, if only Shipman were still around these parts. I dove into photography a lot more over the past year before my Oregon trip (finally bought the 16-35mm L glass I had been dreaming of for a long time). I have no idea how to shoot low light, fast motion, though. You've gotta keep shutter speed way fast, and if you don't have a fast lens with ample aperture you have to make up for low light with ISO, which is never ideal. But the 6D is good enough in low light that there seems to be a wide range of compromise there!
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #197
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Ugh, yeah, I love Shipman's work.

Since my company is an utter **** show during all of this pandemic madness, Monday was my Good Friday holiday and yesterday was my 4th of July holiday, but that's neither here nor there.

However, I took the opportunity to throw some new dampers on the Jetta and went with Koni sports/yellows. It's been on lowering springs (Neuspeed sports I think) over factory dampers for about 60k miles; the car is at 82,500ish miles, currently. Holy crap. I can't believe the slop I was driving on before. It's not even the same car. I guess it's been longer than I thought since I've done a good suspension upgrade on a car because I forgot how dramatic the transformation is, lol. I set the adjustable damping according to an old recommendation from an autox guy on the VW forums and man it handles so good, even just on my commute to work today.

Last edited by mckpat03; 03-26-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:54 AM   #198
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Yeah, decent shocks and springs transform almost any car, especially OE stuff that was probably dead, lol
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #199
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

No doubt, haha. It was long overdue.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #200
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

I forgot to update. Another road trip down. Pictures first:

Recently did another big road trip in the Jetta. The dang thing is just a great road trip car. I averaged 43mpg across 7 fill-ups with the roof box on. Worst tank was 38mpg with the cruise set at 80mph (75mph speed limit) for about 4 hours up through Michigan. Best tank was 47mpg when I was farting around the north shore at about 45mph for a whole day. Honestly, I can't ask for anything better in a road trip car; between that fuel mileage with a fridge on my roof, and the thing has plenty of power to pass and accelerate, handle turns as well as I could ever need, and just whatever I ask of it.

I went up through Michigan and across the UP to Duluth to visit a friend, explore the north shore, and stop at every brewery and cidery around, haha. Also ran down to Minneapolis to visit my friend and tattoo artist after she moved to a new shop up there early this year and got a new piece started. And then came back through Milwaukee, ferry across Lake Michigan to Muskegon, and back down and across I80. I think I ended up with around 2700 miles on the trip and overdue for an oil change lol.

The only way a trip like this/the car could get better is if it was a 2015 Sportwagen* or maybe an Alltrack. But my brother had a '17 Alltrack SEL DSG, and with cross bars and unloaded bike racks, he only got about 20mpg which is kind of just, yikes. Regardless, I think I'm going to upgrade eventually, hopefully before wherever the road takes me next year.

*Wagon lust: I've gotten into sleeping in the car on some of these longer road trips, to split up the drive, and generally just working my way up to a longer, hopefully multi-week, tour of a larger portion of the country. Sleeping in the Jetta is okay, I can lay down and stretch out (I'm 5'11") - I've been doing feet at passenger corner of trunk, head at back of driver seat. I've got it figured out well at this point, and the roof box helps tremendously. However, the space of a wagon, both for road trips and for camping, would suit me so much more. The only catch is that I really only want a 2015 TDI SEL with lighting package and manual transmission. Same goes for an Alltrack if i went that route; I'd only want a 2018 SEL 6MT. Both of which are very hard to find, lol.

Last edited by mckpat03; 09-15-2020 at 08:27 AM.