TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
pharnhyte
Tri-State Addict

Member #2787

My Ride:
98 supra tt/(2)97 supra tt

Send a message via AIM to pharnhyte
My barn find: 1998 Toyota Supra TT

New pics on page 5

I never really considered myself to be lucky. Maybe a bit fortunate, and definitely hard working. For years I have wanted a mkiv supra, like many of us I suppose, and through hard work, and sacrifices I was able to accomplish my goal. In February, I flew to Chicago, and purchased a 98 6 speed supra, and drove it back. Having a supra, really allows you to meet new people. Whenever I drive it; it gets attention, mostly good, sometimes no so (hi haters), and people are always wanting to talk.

Well not to long after I picked up my supra I met this girl who owned an EVO, and her boyfriend who I thought was a nice dude. One day after cruising with a bunch of people we were all BS’n around, and he mentioned to me that there was a guy that had a supra the same color as mine down the street, and it was just sitting on his farm. I just stood there for a minute taking it in. I was like if it’s the same color as mine, or appeared to be, it was either a 96,97, or a 98. He said it was a twin turbo 6 speed, so I figured if he knew what he was talking about, then it could only be a 97 or a 98. So the next day we met up, and sure enough, 5 miles from my house there was 1 of 14 IJM supra’s in the country sitting behind a barn. I have an IJM car myself, so I couldn’t get past the fact that 1, a mkiv supra was sitting behind a barn, and 2, it was the same color as mine, and there are only 13 other identical cars as mine, and what were the chances of it being 5 minutes away from me for the past few years. Destiny? I don’t know.

Well I talked to the owner, I pulled up in my supra, and he barely gave it a second glance, He told me that he was driving it, and it started snowing, he lost control, hit something, I forget what he said then spun around and hit the rear. That’s understandable, though I would never drive my car in the snow ( I did once down the street),what I cant explain is when he went to go get estimates to get the car fixed, it was pretty high, and the insurance company didn’t want to fix it, they were going to give him money. But oddly, and for the life of me, I cant figure out why he told them no, and just took the car off the policy, and didn’t get a penny for it. Makes no sense to me. Whatever.

Since I had just purchased my supra, I wasn’t really in the position to purchase another supra, and on top of that I was switching jobs. He told me to take my time saving up, which I did, because that was July or so, and not to worry because the car wasn’t going anywhere. It was down a long driveway behind a few vehicles, and he didn’t seem to be in any hurry to sell it. I got the impression that he was pretty well of, and could give two ****s about the car, So long story shorter, today I picked it up. I should have the title this week, and it should be clear. As for my plans; I don’t know. I am supposed to be starting engineering school soon, so cash will be tight, so I think I may just clean it up, start it, and sell it, to get through school, but who knows, I just don’t want to see the car get parted out. it’s a 98 tt, so it kind of means a lot to me to see it back on the road someday. My co worker one of maybe three people I told wants it so bad, but his plans seem to involve painting it orange, and a body kit, but he said he would give me ten grand, but I think id rather let it sit in a garage then see it orange one day.

Here are a few pics. I have a long way to go.

No I am not saying how much I got it for, but it wasn’t cheap.
I will update and all as I go along.

Steve

97 Supra TT auto bpu daily #1
97 Supra TT auto #2

Last edited by pharnhyte; 08-04-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: New pics on page 5
pharnhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
pharnhyte
Tri-State Addict

Member #2787

My Ride:

At any rate, I started working on the interior of the car today, and started cleaning up the engine bay before work.

In this pic the MAF is missing I am wondering if someone took it from the time I first saw the car until the time I purchased it. May have been the same person that took the keys haha:

This was the interior when I first saw the car in July or so:

I went to town on it however, and this is how I have got it so far:

The carpet looks really dark, because I really had to soak it and go at it with a scrub brush, so in the pictures its still pretty wet. I will attack the interior some more tomorrow or Wednesday when it stops raining.

In the hatch was a pile of parts. There is one headlight, two taillights, both front corner lights, and running lights/turn signal things, however I don't see the MAF.

The fender, still has the vin number on it, so before the crash the car had all vins lol

The rear bumper:

I didn't buy the car to flip it, I got it only so someone else wouldn't part it out, else I would have told the world about it.

My plans for the rest of the week include cleaning it some more, getting a key made, getting the title and checking its status and figuring out the best way to start the engine, or prepping one that hasn't been started for over a year.

Afterward; I will try to figure out what I plan on doing with the car
97 Supra TT auto #2
Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

ddamn son,not bad.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
pharnhyte
Tri-State Addict

Member #2787

My Ride:

to further complicate matters, someone offered me this car a 97 supra auto tt in a straight up trade:

97 Supra TT auto #2
Old 11-24-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
Cardriverx
Tri-State Addict

Member #5090

My Ride:
1993 Miata Turbo ; 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Cardriverx
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharnhyte View Post
I am supposed to be starting engineering school soon, so cash will be tight, so I think I may just clean it up, start it, and sell it, to get through school, but who knows, I just don’t want to see the car get parted out.
Where are you going? Im currently a sophomore at Pitt for Mech E.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Cardriverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #6
Cardriverx
Tri-State Addict

Member #5090

My Ride:
1993 Miata Turbo ; 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Cardriverx
double post

Cardriverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #7
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
I wish I could be jealous, but I just find myself stoked to have such an awesome car fall into such an obvious enthusist's hands. Enjoy it, man, though that auto TT is very, very nice, too.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 AM   #8
///chrism3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5960

My Ride:
07 sti / 94 supra / 95 m3

ive been trying to find me a wrecked project supra for quiet some time now..gl with the car man

///chrism3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 AM   #9
doug
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #450

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi Limited, 1969 Z/28 Camaro

i'd say keep it and fix it up through time.. would definitely continue to be an awesome story.. plus owning 2 of 14 cars in the country is pretty baller. if that car is ever orange with a body kit.. i will hunt you down
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:23 AM   #10
pharnhyte
Tri-State Addict

Member #2787

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
i'd say keep it and fix it up through time.. would definitely continue to be an awesome story.. plus owning 2 of 14 cars in the country is pretty baller. if that car is ever orange with a body kit.. i will hunt you down
Lol I would cry the day my co worker showed up with it painted orange
97 Supra TT auto #2
Old 11-24-2009, 03:31 AM   #11
doug
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #450

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi Limited, 1969 Z/28 Camaro

hah yeah definitely.. i would weep also. good luck with it and i hope things work out so you can keep that diamond in the rough.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 AM   #12
telopyros
Tri-State Addict

Member #15126

My Ride:
06 MS6

awesome story, and such a rare car.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:09 AM   #13
JST2KWIK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6855

My Ride:
2021 Ram TRX, 2014 Camaro Z/28, 2017 Shelby GT350, 1991 Mercedes 350SDL

I remember you telling me about this on the train you are a lucky man Steve! and if you do decide to sell it, I wouldn't put a body kit on it or paint it a different color
JST2KWIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:20 AM   #14
nissamax
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9190

My Ride:
Magic Carpet

Send a message via AIM to nissamax
lol that guy watched the the fast and the furious the cars gona look like this if he get it.

great find. looks like it needs some work i wish i had it

nissamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #15
92sileighty
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #6020

My Ride:
05 S2000

there were only 14 1998 green tt 6 speed supra's ever produced? and you have 2? wtf. but honestly, keep it. just get loans for school. get the car completely back to stock, then build it a bit. sell it later down the road if you want to, or trade it for another car that's just as rare.
92sileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #16
phsdrummer2
Tri-State Addict

Member #4697

My Ride:
'90 300zx 2+2 TT, '07 Yamaha R6S, '05 Ram 2500

Send a message via AIM to phsdrummer2
damn steve. Now your only problem is how do you get 2 Supra's to Ross meets lol.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #17
OBEEWON
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1315

My Ride:
Lansdale Local

Send a message via MSN to OBEEWON
Wow, that honestly better than winning the lottery.

OBEEWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #18
EklipzGSXkid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4554

I really enjoyed reading the story, And seeing the pics more then anything. I cannot believe that car was just sitting there. Kind of reminds me of carsinbarns.com , With all the high dollar cars just sitting in barns/fields rotting away. If you decide to sell it, Please send me a PM and I will give you more then you paid for it, So it is worth it to you. I know your not trying to sell it, But you never know, you might!

Great find, And you are very lucky to have had someone tell you about it, When they could have purcahsed it!!!!!!!!
EklipzGSXkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
BlackBulletTSi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #224

My Ride:
99 Eclipse GSX

Send a message via AIM to BlackBulletTSi
OMG thats awesome! I would love to have one of those cars myself . Look forward to seeing the progress

New DJ community being built,
COMING SOON!!
BlackBulletTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #20
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

wow.. i cant believe that it was just sitting there rotting.
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote