TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Cardriverx
Tri-State Addict

Member #5090

My Ride:
1993 Miata Turbo ; 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Cardriverx
09-10 Pitt FSAE car

EDIT

Hey guys, just so you know I re did our website, chect it out for all future updates!

University of Pittsburgh - Panther Racing

Hey guys, the new season for FSAE is in full swing, figured I would make a thread about it for you guys to follow.

So far I have been tasked with designing a new lever shifter (we used a mechanical paddle before) and a new pedal box. I am also going to design a shifting system that uses a electric solenoid to shift. Oh, the adjustable throttle throw/ratio was my idea .

We just started the jigs for the chassis, stay tuned

Here are some pictures and renders of the pedal box and shifter, all using solidworks (solidworks kicks ass btw).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Cardriverx; 01-20-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Cardriverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
ScubaSteve
Tri-State Addict

Member #2599

My Ride:
1993 s13 coupe Ka-t; 2005 Legacy GT Ltd

Looking good. I've always stuck to CAD since Temple seems to prefer it but you're making me want to give Solidworks a try. I wish I still worked with Temple's SAE team. I don't even know if we still have a team.

ScubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
R33E8
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1362

My Ride:
a slow car

Cool, Our 09-10 car is actually closed to being finished.. We just made the switch to Solid Works from Pro-E.. We may end up switching to Catia in the future if Boeing sponsors us..

Last edited by R33E8; 11-03-2009 at 08:38 PM.
R33E8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
NOPSTNS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3176

shifter huh? my roomate used to help build the FSAE car for one of the cal state universities. being on a pro race team helped them a lot. he used solidworks.

they also ran the yamaha sequential gearbox and they retrofitted it with paddle shifters. I got really interested in it and would stop by, they even asked me to drive it for them. but i moved away

keep me up to date on it man. i wanna see how other people go about it.
NOPSTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
R33E8
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1362

My Ride:
a slow car

It seems like most teams these days use electronic or pneumatic shifters with push button or paddles.. We've been using electronic shifters with push buttons for years now but we also have a mechanical shifter for backup (VERY useful)

Are you guys getting your tubes laser cut? We did got some of ours this year and it really sped up welding it together..
R33E8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
Cardriverx
Tri-State Addict

Member #5090

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R33E8 View Post
Cool, Our 09-10 car is actually closed to being finished.. We just made the switch to Solid Works from Pro-E.. We may end up switching to Catia in the future if Boeing sponsors us..
Man I hate Pro/e, I have to use it in my mech design class... not a fan haha.

Never used Catia

Quote:
shifter huh? my roomate used to help build the FSAE car for one of the cal state universities. being on a pro race team helped them a lot. he used solidworks.

they also ran the yamaha sequential gearbox and they retrofitted it with paddle shifters. I got really interested in it and would stop by, they even asked me to drive it for them. but i moved away

keep me up to date on it man. i wanna see how other people go about it.
Damn, that sucks. haha, but really, driving one of these cars is like nothing else ive experenced, pretty much a really fast go kart that is surprisingly forgiving on the edge.

Quote:
It seems like most teams these days use electronic or pneumatic shifters with push button or paddles.. We've been using electronic shifters with push buttons for years now but we also have a mechanical shifter for backup (VERY useful)

Are you guys getting your tubes laser cut? We did got some of ours this year and it really sped up welding it together..
Please PM me how your shifter system works/what you use, I would like to know as a reference to what I already have.

Negative on the laser cutting, just costs too much. Plus making chassis tubes are fun .

Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
Cardriverx
Tri-State Addict

Member #5090

My Ride:

some pictures of the chassis so far, including the before shot of the oil pickup.. all taken with the HTC hero.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Pretty cool project. For the pedals, why are they straight? I would have them bent a little. Just create a tangent arc in a sketch and extrude it.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #9
Cardriverx
Tri-State Addict

Member #5090

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
Pretty cool project. For the pedals, why are they straight? I would have them bent a little. Just create a tangent arc in a sketch and extrude it.
Maybe so that they are cheap and easy to make? Why would you have them curved?

Old 01-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Cardriverx
Tri-State Addict

Member #5090

My Ride:

Hey guys, just so you know I re did our website, chect it out for all future updates!

University of Pittsburgh - Panther Racing

Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
98ludeMC
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13645

My Ride:
98 Prelude 5spd, 94 camaro z28 40k miles

the funny thing is i go to pitt and get the panther racing emails and never went, i should probably hit this up
98ludeMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardriverx View Post
Maybe so that they are cheap and easy to make? Why would you have them curved?
I looked at it again and I had a different idea of mounting them. The way you guys have it doesn't need a curve.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #13
Cardriverx
Tri-State Addict

Member #5090

My Ride:

We got the dyno in, I cant wait to get it set up =D