TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Auto-X
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
Looking to get into the scene

I bought my miata last summer and fixed it up this winter. She is pretty much ready I think. I do realize because the car isnt stock I will have to compete in a higher class or something? idk i heard that. I dont really care, I just want to become a better driver and have some fun.

I dont necessarily want to compete either. Idk much about how autocross works organization wise. I know englishtown and other places have times when u can show up, pay, and do some runs. Thats what im interested in for now I think just to get my feet wet.

How does that work? What do I need to start doing it?

As of now i think all I need is a helmet.

Please school me people
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

Get ready for alot of standing around and working
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
DV2000NJ
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #18275

My Ride:
2000 Silverado | 1992 Miata

Definitely keeping track of this one.

White '92 Miata -- OEM hardtop - Star Specs - RPF1s - Flyin' Miata front sway bar - BossFrog roll bar
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DV2000NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
fitftw
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15351

My Ride:
96 Miata 2,040lbs full tank, hardtop, half-cage

in the same boat, brother. I don't want to go out there in a competitive mode right away.

fitftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
autox4u.com & http://www.phillyscca.com/ are a good start to get info and figure out what events your able to participate in.

It really has nothing to do about competing but you need to figure out your class, keep up to date on the particular events, sign up, arrive handle your driving & workers assignment and go from there.
I know the philly region is having at least one if not 2 instructional days. Class day on saturday at JSC speed and sunday is on course. You may want to look into that.
Also you can have a instructor ride with you on every lap during the regular events as well.

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Candyman
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTsi97 View Post
autox4u.com & http://www.phillyscca.com/ are a good start to get info and figure out what events your able to participate in.

It really has nothing to do about competing but you need to figure out your class, keep up to date on the particular events, sign up, arrive handle your driving & workers assignment and go from there.
I know the philly region is having at least one if not 2 instructional days. Class day on saturday at JSC speed and sunday is on course. You may want to look into that.
Also you can have a instructor ride with you on every lap during the regular events as well.
+1 -- def take the novice school.
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Please learn how to use the search function. There's is a bunch of threads essencially asking the same thing on here.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
Spanky
Tri-State Addict

Member #15013

My Ride:
2001 Neon R/T

Send a message via AIM to Spanky
There is a ton of things i asked my self last year when i first started in the south jersey region.First thing i learned real quick is that it will take awhile to even become competive with others in your class.Mods to your car is putting you into other classes other then stock but a lot of people with just an intake will put you into a higher class. Run as a Novice your first few events just to learn to read the course and if your region provides seat time with instructors TAKE IT! It will only make you a faster driver and they have tons of info to give you. Solo is a awesome time and you'll have tons of fun. Any questions just shoot them to me.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
tougetuned_DA9
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19996

My Ride:
92' integra DA9

im going to participate in my first event on 4/10. its at citizens bank park in philly. i will post my experience afterwards. ill be in the beat up flat grey da with black roof. i got this car last april so 1 year of non stop work and i think she is ready for a spankin! OP, where are you located?
tougetuned_DA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
superg6819
Tri-State Addict

Member #1540

My Ride:
evo 9 rs

Send a message via AIM to superg6819
does the event at citizens bank park have noise regulations? if so, Colby i think your car might be too loud. Does the silencer work good? I wanna run my civic but the tires i have suck. If we arent running at the same you think i can use your wheels for my runs?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Spanky
Tri-State Addict

Member #15013

My Ride:
2001 Neon R/T

Send a message via AIM to Spanky
Philly does have the noise violation of 93db but they state at the last event that it was 103 db but people that were hitting 88-90 db they were penalizing.I cant run in philly with my car its too loud and you only get 4 runs at most.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #12
Ts7x
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16286

My Ride:
1993 MR2, 2003 ZX636R, 2013 500 Abarth

gettin into auto-x myself. still building my mr2 for it but it should be fun when everythings done

#Twisties>highway.
Ts7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
strat
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #21071

My Ride:
2002 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport

for your first time out, you'll want to make sure you have a helmet that meets at least snell 2005 rating. (although some regions are more leanient than others)

tech usually checks for a stiff brake pedal, throttle functioning properly, battery tied down, lack of play in wheel/wheel bearings, and helmet rating. (again, basing this off of my experience in the NEPA region)

most regions have "regulars" that compete at alot of events and in my experience most are willing to help newcomers get started by helping with tips/ride alongs/etc.

as mentioned, the best way to get into autox is start in a stock car. you'll be in a more reasonable class and the more you drive it, the more you can focus on the car's shortcomings and what modifications will help improve your times. it's also a good indicator of what level a driver is at as a modified car will often hide a bad driver's habits. better to be fast in a slow car, then slow in a fast car.

good luck and if you get the chance, come run a nepa event or two. our region is super laid back and i've yet to have a bad time at any of our events!
strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
Khellen
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5720

My Ride:
05 STi 30R Brotated 400awhp

Send a message via AIM to Khellen
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat View Post
good luck and if you get the chance, come run a nepa event or two. our region is super laid back and i've yet to have a bad time at any of our events!
Bumping an old thread for anyone thinking about getting into autoX. For the past year I've been doing small, local, just for fun autoX's and it's been great. Just recently went to my first SCCA event with NEPA-SCCA and they are all a great bunch of guys. Very laid back and the whole event was run very well.

The best thing you can do to get into autoX is get a helmet and get out to an event. Don't hesitate to ask someone to ride along with you if you feel like it'll help you get accustomed to the flow of things. When I first started I rode along with a friend a bunch of times then had him ride in my car while I drove. Now whenever I bring new people out to the events I always offer to ride along with them or let them ride in my car.

If anyone wants to get into autoX and doesn't mind driving up/down to Bartonsville PA we are having a local autoX next month. No trophies, no pressure, just for fun. The only person you're competeing against is yourself. It's a great first event for anyone who wants to try it out.

I'm not going to post the info on here because we like to keep the event small since it's not a very big lot but if a few people want to come out I'll set you up with the info...just shoot me a PM.
2004 Honda S2000
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean
Khellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
JB'sLGT
Tri-State Addict

Member #10156

My Ride:
05 Legacy GT, 97 M3

Most regions offer loaner helmets free of charge at the events. Check with the event coordinators to make sure they are available prior to the event.