TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #21
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Car goes into the shop on Thursday, but I ran into a new problem this morning:

Getting out of my car after driving to work, I smelled something that resembled burning clutch. I find the smell coming from my rear driver side wheel, and along with the smell, a ton of heat. It would seem my caliper/E-brake locked up. Yea, so I am not too happy about that. I am hoping the caliper isn't shot and it is an easy fix but somehow I doubt it.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #22
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Car is gone. I got the Walbro 255 fuel pump in last night before I dropped it off this morning. Hoping for it back tomorrow, but I forsee me getting the car back on Saturday. Then it will be getting tuned and dynoed within the next week.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #23
OJ-SPEC
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #13937

My Ride:
2006 Nissan Sentra SE_R Spec V

how much was the turbo kit?
OJ-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #24
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ-SPEC View Post
how much was the turbo kit?
I put it together myself.

UPDATE: Saw the car this morning. Have run into many issues, ranging intercooler piping having a tight fit (currently having some new piping fabbed up at MB Racing), to the bigger issue of my radiator getting in the way of the turbo. I had to buy a funky turbo manifold that seats the turbo lower then most normal Spec-V turbos, so instead of sitting on top of the radiator, it is sitting inside of it. Here is a picture of the turbo installed with no radiator in the car. You can see how a stock Spec-V rad would not fit well.

SOLUTION: Picking up a 2 core half size Civic rad that my mechanic will make fit. I am going to have to upgrade it within the next week or two to something bigger so it cools my car better, but just to have the car back on the road, this needs to be done. No chance of me getting the car back today. If I can get the IC pipes back from MB Racing, and get the radiator to my mechanic today, I can shoot for tomorrow, but it is looking more like Monday or Tuesday now.

Last edited by Bates; 10-15-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #25
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

UPDATE:

Dropped off the half size radiator today with an extra slim fan. When I got there he was getting ready to modify my downpipe, and had just finished tapping my oil pan. He should be able to finish 75-80% of the work today.

Still waiting for MB Racing to get back to me about my custom IC piping. Once that is ready and it is in my mechanic's hands (early enough Monday I hope), the car won't take long.

So we are shooting for Monday, but it could be Tuesday.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #26
tristatesentra
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5347

My Ride:
2010 Honda Civic EX

Send a message via AIM to tristatesentra Send a message via MSN to tristatesentra Send a message via Yahoo to tristatesentra
noice!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

You Tuneit.com
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
I want to gouge out my eyes with a hot spoon
tristatesentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #27
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristatesentra View Post
noice!!!!!
Thanks Chris, next time I see you (hopefully at the Nissan meet at GSP) I'll take ya for a spin. It might even be tuned by then with one or two new mods.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #28
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Update: Well, I finally got my IC piping back today from MB racing at 6pm. Aside from over charging me, not getting a part they said they were getting for me, getting my parts back to me a lot later then they said they would, and doing a crappy looking weld job, I couldn't be happier.

Car may or may not be done tomorrow. I doubt it though.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #29
tristatesentra
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5347

My Ride:
2010 Honda Civic EX

Send a message via AIM to tristatesentra Send a message via MSN to tristatesentra Send a message via Yahoo to tristatesentra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
Thanks Chris, next time I see you (hopefully at the Nissan meet at GSP) I'll take ya for a spin. It might even be tuned by then with one or two new mods.
Better get there b4 130 at least after that I'm heading to work lol ill make sure I have my flip camera

You Tuneit.com

Quote:
I want to gouge out my eyes with a hot spoon
tristatesentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #30
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristatesentra View Post
Better get there b4 130 at least after that I'm heading to work lol ill make sure I have my flip camera
At the rate things are going now, I'll be lucky to have my car by Thanksgiving.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #31
itwillboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17521

My Ride:
GDE6, L30T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates View Post
Update:

Walbro 255LPH fuel pump ordered
A case of 0W-30 Amsoil motor oil ordered
Waiting to hear back from a site to place my order for ARP Head Studs.

Went to my mechanic today to get a price on my turbo install. He wants to hold my car for 2 days which is something I can't do (It needs to be done on a Saturday-Sunday), so it looks like I am back to doing it myself (well with help anyway). Anyone in the North NJ area who has turbo install experience, and who wants to make a couple bucks helping me, please let me know. I am looking to get this installed before Nov, on a Saturday since I work during the week. I have no problem bringing the car somewhere as long as wherever I bring it has the tools needed to get the job done.
Dude the build looks sweet goodluck. If you need any help me and a couple of my boys only work on nissans. Any help you need or if you bring it to a shop the one we use the guy is sick and his prices are good.

5th annual Northeast Nissan Summer Meet
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #32
itwillboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17521

My Ride:
GDE6, L30T

And dude you gotta bring this to the year end meet, I know alot of people would like to see this.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #33
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwillboost View Post
And dude you gotta bring this to the year end meet, I know alot of people would like to see this.
Thanks, I'll let you know if I ever need any help, and I will be at the Year end meet you can count on it (being my car is ok). We can talk before hand and meetup there if you want.

Update: All the car needs is a 90 degree 2.5 inch coupler. I am in stuck in work and MB won't deliver it to my mechanic. FML.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #34
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Just got a very pleasing phone call: CAR IS DONE. My mechanic is waiting for me to get out of work to pick it up. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning... until I see the bill lol.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:56 AM   #35
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

1st day of boost:

What a damn nightmare!! I got the car and it ran good. It runs rich, so until I get a tune I am going to dump a lot of fuel. The turbo spins up so quickly and so fast, and because my BOV does not re-circulate when slowing down and coming to stop, it will begin to choke out unless I give it a bit of gas, no big deal.

I leave my mechanics, hit boost a bit car feels great, only set to 4 PSI right now. I drive up to my friends, car is still running good. I park wait a bit and then get back in the car to take my friend for a ride. It's not boosting right and I am spiking at 15 PSI, not good. My car begins to choke out bad. I pop the hood to find the weak little vacuum hose from the WG is melted and blown off, which caused the spike which caused me to blow out all 4 spark plugs.

Thankfully I have a good friend who had some extra One Step Colder plugs from his Spec-V so I got them and threw them in and put on a new THICK vacuum line. The car is still choking out bad. Upon further inspection I find a coupler that was blown out. Well a little midnight maintenance, lots of cursing, and a headache later, I get the coupler back on and now the car runs fine. I am going to get longer couplers for the area that blew and just take it real easy on the car for now. Pictures will be up tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:27 AM   #36
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Don't beat on it so soon if its 1)untuned 2)all new parts 3)your not 100% confident its 100% complete and good.
Wouldn't want to see you blow it up this quick over stupid issues that you seem to be runnign into during the whole build.

Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #37
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTsi97 View Post
Don't beat on it so soon if its 1)untuned 2)all new parts 3)your not 100% confident its 100% complete and good.
Wouldn't want to see you blow it up this quick over stupid issues that you seem to be runnign into during the whole build.
Thanks for the advice.

Wasn't planning on beating on it, it is a brand new turbo. I need to break that thing in. But it spools up so damn quick, I have to be so easy on the gas or the car really takes off. It does feel like a whole new car, it's crazy.

Hopefully today will go better. :D
Old 10-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #38
itwillboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17521

My Ride:
GDE6, L30T

That's the worst thing about building a car, it takes a tune and 500 miles before you can really enjoy it. Also just let me know about the meet I think like 15 of us are meeting at my house that morning.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #39
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:

Update:

Car is running ok still. Just talked to ATX Motorsports, and I am taking the car to them tomorrow so they can look at it. Taking it back to them next week for a the tune, plus the injector, return fuel rail, and FPR install. I am very excited about this.

Tonight, I am going to move some things around like the MAF and BOV. I think they are causing my car to choke out because they are in the wrong locations.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #40
itwillboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17521

My Ride:
GDE6, L30T

Just wondering are you running it recirc ? And are you running the stock maf, also what's your a/f's look like right now ? And last question are you going to dyno it while tuning it ?