TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Engine Performance
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
spoolinSTi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3356

My Ride:
1998 Eagle talon TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to spoolinSTi
Need some help here, car wont start

hey guys

well went out to my car this morning and now my car wont friggin start. I was back into the snow and the exhaust was packing snow and ice so i thought that was the problem. Got that out of there and still nothing. It sounds like it wants to start but it wont turn over at all. I did have a problem before with the timing was off and fixed it. Is there any way it could have jumped timing again? Any idea or suggestions would be great since this is my DD and i cant be with out it.Oh and it was running perfectly fine before this, even last night when i brought it home

heres a video of what its doing. I checked timing 15 times today and it dead on right now. it look like this right now who knows what its suppsed to look like.

plastic cover---------------\ /---------------
Crank pulley---------------I I I----------I---- IM guessing thats how i need to have it because thats how it worked before. Please let me know
spoolinSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
i just know the basics: check spark and check fuel. not sure specifically what to tell you to do in this situation.

the other basic is... this shouldn't be in the PA forum...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:
88 RX7 TII, 2012 WRX hatch

Send a message via AIM to Silverfc88
Could it be flooded?

When mine does that its flooded. I cut power to the fuel pump and it starts right up. Of course we have different motors so I'm not sure what your problem could be.

Check fuses for fuel and ignition maybe.
Streetport 13bt, Haltech Sprint RE, FIC 1150cc + Delphi 1000cc injectors, Walbro 255, Borg Warner s360 .88, HKS mani, JGS 50mm, Greddy FMIC, HKS Twin Power, AEM water/meth inj
Silverfc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

Send a message via AIM to redline
05 with no warranty? Have them come and get it.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
spoolinSTi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3356

My Ride:
1998 Eagle talon TSi AWD

opps sorry guys this is on my 92 honda civic dx hatch
Old 02-19-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

Send a message via AIM to redline
First thing, turn the key and listen for the fuel pump, if it has a schrader valve on the fuel rail check it for pressure. If it has fuel pressure pull each plug one at a time and ground it out while your are cranking it over to check for spark. If it isn't either of these 2 it is possibly a sensor. Hope it helps!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
spoolinSTi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3356

My Ride:
1998 Eagle talon TSi AWD

ok heres the story for today. Fuel pump does turn on for a little bit when i turn the key. All 4 plugs show spark on them. Timing is perfect where the plastic arrow meets the single notch on the crank pulley. But once an awhile will puff smoke out the intake. Did check timing once or twice and its still dead on. Just keeps on chugging and no start, please give me some advice.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #8
na is best!
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3643

ay first

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
i just know the basics: check spark and check fuel. not sure specifically what to tell you to do in this situation.

the other basic is... this shouldn't be in the PA forum...
do what he said... for a car to start it needs fuel,spark, and compression..

second, why isn't this in the honda/acura threads? It is a 92 honda you said right...

anyways... check spark.. stick a screwdriver in the spark plug wire and hold it over something metal.. such as a valve cover nut.. so if a lil spark connects the two

then check fuel... loosen the nut on the fuel filter.. the one that holds the line that goes to your fuel rail... then turn ket on car.. DONT START.. just turn ket to when the fuel pump kicks on.. should leak gas.. or crank and have someone spray starting fluid in the throttle body

as for timing yes the pulley line up with the mark on the cover and also when those are lined up, on your cam gear it says up and there are 2 notches.. the notches should be parellel with the cover and the work up should be.. well up.. so you can see if it jumped timing like that...

na is best! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
na is best!
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3643

also reset your ecu and tell me if there are any codes being thrown.. is it the stock original motor or swapped?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
spoolinSTi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3356

My Ride:
1998 Eagle talon TSi AWD

ok figured it out now, i think it was a combo of timing off, water in the fuel lines freezing up, firing order and dizzy timing. after making sure that crank timing was perfect i changed the dizzy and fixed the firing order, also cleaned the spark plugs and regapped them, some were off, and it started right back up, whatever happened i fixed it and hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
na is best!
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3643

were you getting spark before you changed the dizzy?? most likely the problem was your ICM or coil.. anyway good luck to you

Old 02-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #12
spoolinSTi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3356

My Ride:
1998 Eagle talon TSi AWD

yea i was getting spark before that so i dont know, but it work and im happy