TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 01-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Keeper1343
Tri-State Addict

Member #5714

My Ride:
99 Honda Prelude... get some.

Send a message via AIM to Keeper1343 Send a message via Yahoo to Keeper1343
Vascar Discussion

I have been thinking of how they were allowed to use this system. There are so many variables for this method that it almost seems like a bunch of BS... If you figure because you have to take into consideration for reaction time, angle of view, distance traveled in association with reaction time. If you were to measure 10 sec (just an example) across a 50ft section of road, depending on the officers angle of view, and reaction time, he could come up with higher or lower time. Just some food for thought. Anyone else ever think of this??? or am i just being retarded???

Edit.... and how would he be able to see the marks to be able to react fast enough or even see clearly. I know the ones on the turnpike are clear enough to see but anywhere alse. 50 ft not on a highway is a hard spot to test. how could you judge that??? On the highway, your finger couldn't even react fast enough to flip the switch. but 300 feet is too far to see with the eye. IDK

Last edited by Keeper1343; 01-10-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Keeper1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Send a message via AIM to den9
its definetly not accurate, but they know when your speeding.

im pretty sure pa is the only state that doesnt use radar on streets, i wish they did because id buy a 500 dollar radar detector
den9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Jeffros Spec V
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #263

Send a message via AIM to Jeffros Spec V
There is a sticky I think about Vascar...check it out.
Jeffros Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
J.Ralli
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4202

My Ride:
Just a Lancer and a Civic

Send a message via AIM to J.Ralli Send a message via Yahoo to J.Ralli
when i did my internship with Marple Township they showed me exactly how it works, usually its any landmark or line in the road that the use. all they do it flip the switch when your front tire cosses the mark nd then hit the switch when your front tire crosses the second mark. the reaction time for both start and finish are really close to each other so it doesnt even matter. alot of cops even give the benefit of doubt and start timing when your front bumper crosses and then stops when your rear bumper crosses. On top of things, the more experienced cops can tell how fast your going by eye sight which is weird. So basically the little calculator generates your speed as you cross the markings and its pretty accurate.
Quote:
CleanNeon98 is the kind of guy that wold sit in the corner crying if the world would ever be ending and he would want someone like J.Ralli to bring him a razor.
J.Ralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
Keeper1343
Tri-State Addict

Member #5714

My Ride:

what i am saying is that at 60 MPH your are going 88ft per second. So you figure they have to do atleast 200-300ft to even be physically possible to flip it accuratly. But 200-300 ft is far as hell. What would be there point of view to be able to see when you cross. I will draw something and put it up

Edit... i know how the system works... Its so simple but the variables are what i am quesitoning.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
J.Ralli
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4202

My Ride:

easiest one is the lines on the road, your front tire hits the first line, flip switch, you cross the second line n flip switch, its clear as day to see the tire cross the road
Quote:
CleanNeon98 is the kind of guy that wold sit in the corner crying if the world would ever be ending and he would want someone like J.Ralli to bring him a razor.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
J.Ralli
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4202

My Ride:

and when your watching a car go perpendicular to your view, the moving object is not that fast where you cant watch it move
Quote:
Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
i think you don't realize how little 300 feet is when you're travelling on the highway...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Keeper1343
Tri-State Addict

Member #5714

My Ride:

i am not talking about the driver AT ALL. How the hell can a officer see a mark 300 feet away and be able to tell when my car crosses the spot??? thats far

Jralli.... you can see a little line in the road from 300 feet away. Accuratly enought to be able to say when my front tire crossed it???

Last edited by Keeper1343; 01-10-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
WhiteXFire
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #305

My Ride:
2007 Infiniti G35x, 2008 MB SLK55 AMG

Send a message via AIM to WhiteXFire
It's very accurate, if I have to prove it later with math I will...

In the meantime, here:
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...ad.php?t=10896

2004 Chrysler Crossfire - Gone
2007 Infiniti G35x Sedan -

2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG -
WhiteXFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
J.Ralli
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4202

My Ride:

to be a complete ass i can say i can see 300ft away and see when a tire crosses a line cause i have 20/15 vision but thats irrelavent. you dont need 300ft, how far your away from the car doesnt matter because your picking 2 lines off the road that you can visibly see from where you sit. im not sure where you are from but im sure you have seen random white lines on the roads that serve no purpose to drivers. the lines are only 50-100 feet apart. if you stand on the side of a road and watch cars go by at 50-60mph, you can give a 100ft area and watch them cross the area as well as flick a switch.
Quote:
Old 01-10-2008, 09:20 PM   #12
Keeper1343
Tri-State Addict

Member #5714

My Ride:

but at 88 ft per second thats pretty fast reflexes for such a short distance.

Whitefire.... The system is so simple because it is just a simple math equation. Not questioning the system but more of the variables. The system itself is a math equation which will give you the correct answer all the time. Cause you are inputing the info to be. But the variable of the distance/Reaction time, or even sight is what i am talking about.

If you have a 100ft mark, 88 ft per second is going to be a quick couple flips of a swich. Almost to the point where your kinda rushed. A 1/4 of a second doesn't sound like much but if you have a longer distance the speed becomes more accurate because your not rushing the swtich (lesser variables). But the distance is where the eyesight variable comes in at.
Longer distance would be more accurate even if you were off 1/4 second. But shorter distances are more critical.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #13
Keeper1343
Tri-State Addict

Member #5714

My Ride:

o and the minimum distance that is recommended is a tenth mile with is like 528 FT. So good luck seeing that
Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #14
J.Ralli
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4202

My Ride:

long distance would be really bad, lets say you have 200ft markers, cars traveling at 75 mph in a 45 zone, in that 200ft a driver can slam on the brakes and come to a complete stop, speed=inconclusive, on the other hand if its about 100ft or less, the car could slow down to about 55 or so but since the officer saw them speed and slam on the brakes they would write the ticket for 10 over if they want. when you watch a car go by in front of you, its really not that fast to the human eye, you would have to actually look from a regular spped trap to tell. tomorrow morning after work ill try to stop by one and snap a quick picture, flipping a switch twice in a matter of a few seconds is not that hard as well and like i said the reaction time balances out in the end.
Quote:
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #15
J.Ralli
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4202

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper1343 View Post
o and the minimum distance that is recommended is a tenth mile with is like 528 FT. So good luck seeing that
vascar by aircraft....
Quote:
Old 01-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #16
Keeper1343
Tri-State Addict

Member #5714

My Ride:

i am talking about a car... not a plane. You can't argue with the plane cause it is the ideal spot. Which would be right on top of you at all times to be able to pick the spots and clearly see them.

But your argument for the trooper being able to is.........??????

actually... 100 ft is pretty a fast reaction. But as stated...... the minimum recommended distance is 528 Ft.

Last edited by Keeper1343; 01-10-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
J.Ralli
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4202

My Ride:

ugh ill just take a video/pic in the morning, im headed to work now, check this thread around 9am or so
Quote:
Old 01-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #18
Keeper1343
Tri-State Addict

Member #5714

My Ride:

I know i am prob just being hard headed but seemed like something worth saying or discussing.

Damn troll stop moving things lol... i thought it would be considered off topic. Plus it gets more attention there.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #19
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

Send a message via AIM to ThePrimerSuspect
bottom line, if a cop has you on vascar your done. argue the variables all you want. it is what it is, very accurate. next time you see the lines just go as fast as you can then argue in court that you were going so fast that there is no way the cop could have reacted that fast. i wonder if that would actually work?
ThePrimerSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #20
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper1343 View Post
I know i am prob just being hard headed but seemed like something worth saying or discussing.

Damn troll stop moving things lol... i thought it would be considered off topic. Plus it gets more attention there.

put it in the right place and i wont have to move it...

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote