TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
c7scayman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9644

ABS vs no ABS. Opinions?

I know ABS means you get a way better stopping distance, but I don't like it. I feel like I have less control with ABS and I hate that you can feel the ABS kicking in when you stop the car hard for a sudden red light or getting cut off.

I drove without ABS for 6 years, then in this past year, I have been driving another car with ABS.

I did not feel in control. Basically with ABS, I cannot feel or predict my stopping distance like I can without ABS.

Has anyone else went from NO ABS to ABS and thought the same thing?
13 MK6 GTI 2020 - Current
c7scayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Two things: 1. Get better tires. 2.Do some threshold braking exercises so you know where your ABS kicks in. Whenyou feel ABS kick in, back off the pedal pressure just a touch...just like you would if you felt your tires lock up (if you didn't have ABS you'd be skidding at this point, which is not controllable or effectively slowing you down).

The only time I do not want ABS is on the race track. Even then I don't remember ever getting into my ABS while tracking the one car I take on track that has ABS...I've never had my ABS kick on while driving on the street either.

Some cars have very intrusive ABS computers 996s), but, even so while your butt-stop-o-meter might _feel_ like it is taking longer to stop, most likely your ABS is stopping you faster than if you didn't have it.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

ABS doesn't really help you 'stop faster' but it does allow you to keep control of your car rather then locking them up and just sliding, IMO... ABS is one of those things that has to be manditory on any car I get(exceot for a Viper but I belive there is a stand alone that can be programmed with ABS).

I hate driving cars without ABS. But like above, def learn the limits of your car. If your kicking your ABS in then chances are you would of slid into something anyway.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Unless you practice threshold braking enough to make it your normal braking instinct when you run into an emergency braking situation, ABS will stop you faster almost every time on dry roads and in the rain. For you to stop quicker without ABS, you have to practice threshold braking on a regular basis for a very long period of time. Face it, you are not Michael Schumacher, Sebastian Vettel, Ayrton Senna, Lewis Hamilton or even Randy Pobst or Mark Daddio. You probably can't threshold brake in an emergency as well as most ABS computer can slow down your car. The partial pedal braking most people do in daily driving really doesn't make a difference between ABS and non ABS.

I went from driving multiple cars with no ABS to several cars with ABS and ABS saved my @ss a few times when unexpected things happened. I did AutoX some of the non ABS cars on a regular basis for a while and tried o master threshold braking, but in daily driving situations with different pavement textures and conditions, I don't think I can brake as well as a 4 wheels ABS system that can sense wheel speed 60 times per wheel rotation and adjust the braking of each wheel accordingly.

In reality, from a 60 MPH stop doing threshold braking on smooth pavement with an even texture and letting a modern ABS system do the work the actual difference in stopping distance is probably no more than a few feet and using the ABS, you can steer the car easier when braking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Chris B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
98GSXdude
Tri-State Addict

Member #155

I delete ABS (pulled the fuse) on all my cars, not a fan. I'm sure its for some people though, I just had a bad experience with it.
E36 M3
Ex's: E46 M3, 350Z, 300ZX TT, E39 M5, 1G GSX, 2G GSX
98GSXdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
The Alchemist
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14803

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GSXdude View Post
I delete ABS (pulled the fuse) on all my cars, not a fan. I'm sure its for some people though, I just had a bad experience with it.
Thats not the same.

I prefer non abs over abs, like said above, not in total control. Its like traction control on a rear wheel drive car.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
Thats not the same.

I prefer non abs over abs, like said above, not in total control. Its like traction control on a rear wheel drive car.
If you pull the fuse the ABS does not function anymore, thus it won't operate under hard braking which makes it the same as not having ABS.

I do not like ABS, I started driving without ABS and have had 4 vehicles in the past 6 years, 2 without ABS and 2 with, I prefer no ABS. I now have a vehicle with ABS but its a tank so it may help one day.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
renn
Tri-State Addict

Member #13821

bunch of racecar drivers in here
renn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by renn View Post
lul.

I am by far the best driver in the world, nor do I have a lot of seat time. I enjoyed autocross, I did it with both ABS and non ABS vehicles and I hated when the ABS kicked in.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Hell yes.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

I'm not a huge fan of abs. Its ok in the snow but thats about it. I was dating a girl years ago that got into an accident because abs kicked in and she didn't know what was going on when the pedal started going crazy. She let off the brakes and hit someone.
Honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
Spawne32
Tri-State Addict

Member #20424

My Ride:
95 Acura Integra

Send a message via AIM to Spawne32
90% of the people who yank the ABS from their cars and try to justify it as some sort of performance modification are either A) ricers or B) absolute retards. Every single production car that a person drives on the street performs better in braking with ABS, everytime, consistently. We dont drive supercars, with 100,000 dollar braking systems, and we arent all proffesional racecar drivers driving formula 1 cars on the highway. Pulling your ABS from your honda civic hatch doesnt improve braking performance, it makes you a danger to the rest of society when you try to stop in the rain because you drive like an asshole and crash into 5 cars in front of you.
Spawne32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

i don't mind abs, if the car manufacturer did their homework, i used to have a car where the abs locked the pedal down and you had no control what so ever of the brakes, it actually made me slide off the road because i couldn't let off the brakes to allow weight transfer to the front wheels to turn,and it would release the pedal til you came to a complete stop. that car had the fuse pulled immediately. but there are times when I'm glad i have it. but coming from driving dirt track cars i prefer no abs, because i was slowing from 100 to less then 20 in short distance on wet dirt before i even had my permit. but i agree that abs is definitely good for your average drive/ pretty much anyone on a dd
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
bordin34
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16443

My Ride:
1973 Dodge Charger SE......1974 Plymouth Valiant

I've never owned a car with abs but this is how I prefer it
Snow/Dirt - No ABS, turns on too easily and doesn't allow you to build a berm of snow in front of your tires to stop.
Pavement - ABS
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto-Sold,in Croatia
Mahwah,NJ
bordin34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #15
renn
Tri-State Addict

Member #13821

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordin34 View Post
Snow/Dirt - No ABS, turns on too easily and doesn't allow you to build a berm of snow in front of your tires to stop.
are you joking?

trolololled me if you are.
renn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #16
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Quote:
are you joking?

trolololled me if you are.
It's kind of like on pavement. Tires grip so much that you end up tearing up the pavement and building said berm and you stop on a dime, kind of like my Huffy did back in 1996.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #17
Spawne32
Tri-State Addict

Member #20424

My Ride:
95 Acura Integra

Send a message via AIM to Spawne32
Quote:
I've never owned a car with abs but this is how I prefer it
Pavement - ABS
it becomes more and more clear to me why there are so many accidents on the road lol
Spawne32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #18
bordin34
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16443

My Ride:
1973 Dodge Charger SE......1974 Plymouth Valiant

It does actually help to a point. Also when driving on snow if one side of the car is on ice and one on pavement the system comes on when it shouldn't.
1974 Charger SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto-Sold,in Croatia
Mahwah,NJ
bordin34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #19
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
90% of the people who yank the ABS from their cars and try to justify it as some sort of performance modification are either A) ricers or B) absolute retards. Every single production car that a person drives on the street performs better in braking with ABS, everytime, consistently. We dont drive supercars, with 100,000 dollar braking systems, and we arent all proffesional racecar drivers driving formula 1 cars on the highway. Pulling your ABS from your honda civic hatch doesnt improve braking performance, it makes you a danger to the rest of society when you try to stop in the rain because you drive like an asshole and crash into 5 cars in front of you.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
i don't mind abs, if the car manufacturer did their homework, i used to have a car where the abs locked the pedal down and you had no control what so ever of the brakes, it actually made me slide off the road because i couldn't let off the brakes to allow weight transfer to the front wheels to turn,and it would release the pedal til you came to a complete stop. that car had the fuse pulled immediately. but there are times when I'm glad i have it. but coming from driving dirt track cars i prefer no abs, because i was slowing from 100 to less then 20 in short distance on wet dirt before i even had my permit. but i agree that abs is definitely good for your average drive/ pretty much anyone on a dd
If the ABS didn't kick in you probally would of locked your wheels and slid through the turn anyway. Also, how old was the car when that happened? ABS/computers have gotten much better since the early 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
it becomes more and more clear to me why there are so many accidents on the road lol
Yep.

Quote:
It does actually help to a point. Also when driving on snow if one side of the car is on ice and one on pavement the system comes on when it shouldn't.
It comes on when the DRIVER makes an error and hits the brakes too hard. It is doing its job.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
WolfsFang
Tri-State Addict

Member #17214

My Ride:
2013 Scion FRS

100% sure if you're on ice it well go of no matter how hard you hit the breaks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk