TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #721
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

whats the difference between euro bumpers an whats on there now?
Old 10-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #722
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
whats the difference between euro bumpers an whats on there now?
The US ruined the early model E30 because of impact regulations, requiring the bumpers to be huge aluminum beasts we call “diving boards”.

Check out this black early model e30 like mine, just with European bumpers.

Night and day!

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...rol-ronal-9000
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #723
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
The US ruined the early model E30 because of impact regulations, requiring the bumpers to be huge aluminum beasts we call “diving boards”.

Check out this black early model e30 like mine, just with European bumpers.

Night and day!

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...rol-ronal-9000
do i recall some mod about drilling out the impact cylinders and pushing the bumper in as a "cheap euro conversion"
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #724
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

After looking at the 2 side by side, i really like the look of the euro bumpers.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #725
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
do i recall some mod about drilling out the impact cylinders and pushing the bumper in as a "cheap euro conversion"
Yessir- you can also use '88 bumper shocks for a "mild tuck", as they're about an inch shorter if that's your thing, or you can drill into the shocks to relieve the pressure in there and just push the bumper all of the way in. IMO, the tucked bumpers never look right, so I've never done it. It's what you'd do to your car if you're 18, got an E30 for $1200 and don't have any money to mod it, so you tuck your bumpers

It's not very well accepted, and I don't think it looks right due to the bumper only being a front piece, not wrapping the sides of the valance like euro bumpers or late model plastic bumpers (which don't fit at all). Thus you have the trim on the sides that throws everything off with the bumper tucked in.

Quote:
After looking at the 2 side by side, i really like the look of the euro bumpers.
They look great!

1988 cars are cool, because they got late model valances front and rear, but early model metal bumpers.

So you can convert a 1988 car to plastic bumpers with just plastic bumpers and their respective mounting hardware.

1987 and down (like my black car), however, the valances are totally different and thus it's not a possibility to do the plastic bumpers, which is why the Euro bumpers are the popular option, albeit expensive, normally bent/rusty, and hard to find.

The early model (1987 and down) cars also had higher rear arches, so they look really good/unique with the euro bumpers, compared to a late model car. It's a really nice differentiation.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #726
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
They look great!

1988 cars are cool, because they got late model valances front and rear, but early model metal bumpers.

So you can convert a 1988 car to plastic bumpers with just plastic bumpers and their respective mounting hardware.

1987 and down (like my black car), however, the valances are totally different and thus it's not a possibility to do the plastic bumpers, which is why the Euro bumpers are the popular option, albeit expensive, normally bent/rusty, and hard to find.

The early model (1987 and down) cars also had higher rear arches, so they look really good/unique with the euro bumpers, compared to a late model car. It's a really nice differentiation.
Wow, i never realized how many intricacies there are.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #727
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Sitting at my desk dreaming of Turbo LS E28 touring. Thought you should know. Lets make this happen some day
Old 10-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #728
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Wow, i never realized how many intricacies there are.
Yes, and there are quite a few other OEM options like the MTechnic kits (MT1 and MT2) . The fun stuff is found in the various aftermarket companies at the time developing some pretty serious products, all of which are rare and highly sought after now. Companies like Racing Dynamics, Hartage, Dinan, Zender, BBS, and many others made some full body kits, valances, full car spec builds, etc. Pretty cool stuff.

Quote:
Sitting at my desk dreaming of Turbo LS E28 touring. Thought you should know. Lets make this happen some day
Man, e28 tourings get me good.

I’m gapping this 3.1L so I can do whatever I want with it in the future..... high compression 3.1L, twin scroll, efr..... you need an E30 for a test vehicle to make a twin scroll mani and get it produced like you do your LS log manis! Only one dude makes a twin scroll mani and it’s $2k and never available. I’ll be your first customer.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #729
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Yes, and there are quite a few other OEM options like the MTechnic kits (MT1 and MT2) . The fun stuff is found in the various aftermarket companies at the time developing some pretty serious products, all of which are rare and highly sought after now. Companies like Racing Dynamics, Hartage, Dinan, Zender, BBS, and many others made some full body kits, valances, full car spec builds, etc. Pretty cool stuff.

Man, e28 tourings get me good.

I’m gapping this 3.1L so I can do whatever I want with it in the future..... high compression 3.1L, twin scroll, efr..... you need an E30 for a test vehicle to make a twin scroll mani and get it produced like you do your LS log manis! Only one dude makes a twin scroll mani and it’s $2k and never available. I’ll be your first customer.
i'd be willing to give it a shot. I have been looking into buying thos ICengine blocks. If I do i'll just mail em to you and have you build it and mail it to me. Lets do it
Old 10-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #730
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
i'd be willing to give it a shot. I have been looking into buying thos ICengine blocks. If I do i'll just mail em to you and have you build it and mail it to me. Lets do it
That would be fantastic! Those model blocks have to be so helpful in manifold fabrication. Whenever the time comes, I plan on using a 7163 EFR (or something close).

You didn’t move any closer to Philly did you? My brother is still there and parts out E30s. Once you get a big ole fab building we can get you a front E30 clip!
Old 10-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #731
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

First off- my garage is an absolute mess, as I am in the middle of 100 different projects, so please excuse.

I am pretty excited about this roof rack I pulled off of my parts car. It just looks "right". I also picked up a 618 pressure plate that I'm going to be running with a stock clutch disc and a lightweight euro flywheel for extra clamping force, but with stock-ish pedal feel.

I buttoned a few more things up on black betty and went for a long drive today on some good ole country roads. It was a treat, and really made me wish I hadn't ripped apart the iS again. Does anyone else get incredibly sick of dumping money into cars? I've been there for a while now. I'm hoping things slow down soon.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Last edited by blue91lx; 10-17-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #732
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Quote:
Does anyone else get incredibly sick of dumping money into cars? I've been there for a while now. I'm hoping things slow down soon.
Without a doubt. My 2010 xB that I had a members journal on here for..... My airride was around 7k because I was stupid. After that was my mustang, stupid amount of money on that bucket of bolts. A lot of it was caused by **** installs from a shop in west chester. I sold the car with tons of work done to it and barely broke even on it.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #733
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
I hate spending money on **** and getting nothing out of it. If I can spend money and have it do something, great. Spending money for no performance or other benefit is the worst. Not being able to drive a car for a long time because of money being spent on **** is even worse.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #734
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Without a doubt. My 2010 xB that I had a members journal on here for..... My airride was around 7k because I was stupid. After that was my mustang, stupid amount of money on that bucket of bolts. A lot of it was caused by **** installs from a shop in west chester. I sold the car with tons of work done to it and barely broke even on it.
Some of these projects seem like good ideas, initially. Then, you get in too deep to turn back and realize the associated costs of "other" necessary items to complete your task take your original figure and double or triple it. My financial model has always been one of freedom. I typically have a way to get things for "free" through a part out, flip, or other (in exchange for my time, of course). Even with the Evo build, I had a second Evo I parted to pay for the build. Each E30 build I've done I have a part out/flip alongside it to fund it, etc.

The exchange of my time for side hustle (I think) is what is growing old, to where I'd like to purchase my time back, not take on lustrous projects that always get out of hand, and enjoy the cars for once (or my time, otherwise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I hate spending money on **** and getting nothing out of it. If I can spend money and have it do something, great. Spending money for no performance or other benefit is the worst. Not being able to drive a car for a long time because of money being spent on **** is even worse.
I heavily relate to this. Time is a big factor. When the investment is large, and over such a long amount of time that keeps the car down, it ultimately just beats me up to where I get to the point where I am (over it).

We'll see where it goes. The M3 build is also looming in the distance, which I'm sure isn't helping my perception.

----------------

I stopped by Zionsville Autosport today to help Dwight disassemble an S52. In exchange, I got to borrow this!

Dwight, pulling the rear main off.

The old 3L is pulled apart. Now that I have the torque plate, he's going to clean the block early next week and then send it out to get honed.

I found this when Kevin and I pulled apart the oil pump. Looks like old bearing material from a different engine and some other goodies.

Last edited by blue91lx; 10-19-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #735
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
Damn that black on is clean af.

Just dropping in to say HI!
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #736
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Nice, building it right.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #737
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by empera View Post
Damn that black on is clean af.

Just dropping in to say HI!
HEY! Yeah she's a cruiser, man. It needs an M30, and a road trip.

Quote:
Nice, building it right.
I was thrilled about finding the torque plate.

I ordered engine bolts tonight. I ended up just going with OEM components rather than ARP. The ARP rod bolts were $170 vs the $40 of OEM. Head studs were $220 vs the $40 of OEM. It just didn't make sense to get ARP since I'm not even close to pushing the limits of the stock components.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #738
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Black Betty is all done!

​​​​​​​IMG_5348 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 11-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #739
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Woo! Looks great. How's the driving experience?
Old 11-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #740
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Woo! Looks great. How's the driving experience?
It is great- much akin to the classic 80s experience.

Linda's old motor (low mile bottom end with worked cyl head/billet 272 cam/tune) paired with a 3.91 LSD and a classic suspension setup (H&Rs/Billies) and some sticky tires make this thing a hoot to drive!

It needs euro bumpers, though.