TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #21
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
I test drove a Prius before I got my Civic and they do not accelerate fast at all... It felt like something was wrong with the car.. Could be why they are waiting for a bigger space to merge.
There is a difference between waiting for enough room to safely merge and being unreasonable. We were pulling onto a street with a 40 MPH speed limit where most traffice never exceeds 45 MPH.

Depending on the year of the prius and the transmission it has, 0-40 MPH times vary from 5 seconds to 6.5 seconds looking at various automobile magazine reviews. That's better than the 3 speed auto trans Geo my mother owned a while back. That Geo car could safely get up to 45 MPH with much much less than the 1/2 mile gap between traffic that the Prius owner waited for. The gap in traffic was large enough for not only the Prius to pull out, but me, several cars behind me, an 18 wheeler and at least one more car behind the 18 wheeler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Chris B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #22
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:
'98 240sx, 98 Impreza L, 00 SV650

Send a message via AIM to 420sx
I would have just gone around him.

Or test your horn.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #23
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420sx View Post
I would have just gone around him.

Or test your horn.
Unfortunately there wasn't room around them unless I wanted to hop a curb. Maybe its time for air horns.

Chris B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #24
JST2KWIK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6855

My Ride:
2021 Ram TRX, 2014 Camaro Z/28, 2017 Shelby GT350, 1991 Mercedes 350SDL

My buddy has a big, lifted diesel Ford with a smoke switch and everytime there is a Prius or hybrid behind him he makes it disappear LOL. I'd love to hear that that driver is thinking... This thread is hilarious/awesome btw
JST2KWIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #25
Diablo2424
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1423

My Ride:
16 Jetta GLI

Send a message via AIM to Diablo2424
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST2KWIK View Post
My buddy has a big, lifted diesel Ford with a smoke switch and everytime there is a Prius or hybrid behind him he makes it disappear LOL. I'd love to hear that that driver is thinking... This thread is hilarious/awesome btw
hahahah that's GREAT! I'm all about that... I should install a smoke/fog machine in my trunk and do something like that...

But yes Air horns FTW in this scenario! I've always wanted to get a train horn to hook up to my car... that'll get them out of your way... as well as flashers (like undercover cops have) that can be controlled independently (front / rear)... just to get idiots out of my way... (obviously I would only use them if I KNEW there were no cops around)

Previous: 2006 Nissan Altima SE-R - NWP | z32/z33 Brakes |

Previous: 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4'ed
Diablo2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #26
clubken
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13951

My Ride:
VW hatch with a peanut sized turbo

Send a message via AIM to clubken
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420sx View Post
Hahahaha YES.

I love the people that say its for money savings. The car was 30k. Do the math, youll find out that you have to drive your hybrid for 300,000 miles before starting to save money over an equivalent, non-hybrid car.

I did the math comparing the base model Civic with the Civic hybrid. Hybrid is $8000 more. It would take 313,000 miles (based on the difference in fuel economy at current gas prices) before the hybrid owner has saved enough to EQUAL the price of the gas civic. Only THEN they start saving money.

Not to mention that hybrid cars leave a much larger carbon footprint due to the expense of manufacturing and disposing of them.

I could go on about the idiocy of hybrid cars, and the idiocy of the average American for days.

I just give hybrids a "thumbs down" when I pass them.
Also factor in the battery replacement for the Prius which is 2500-4000 from what I've heard. Not saying the Civic wouldn't need maintenance as well, but the Prius isn't maintenance free.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #27
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubken View Post
Also factor in the battery replacement for the Prius which is 2500-4000 from what I've heard. Not saying the Civic wouldn't need maintenance as well, but the Prius isn't maintenance free.
Sorry, but if you want to get all scientific. If one costs 8k more than the other, they aren't equivalent.
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #28
sundaybikes
Tri-State Addict

Member #8522

My Ride:
is red

if anyone in the bensalem area gets stuck behind a silver prius going atleast 10 mph under the speed limit then you are driving behind my grandfather

sundaybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #29
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:
'98 240sx, 98 Impreza L, 00 SV650

Send a message via AIM to 420sx
Your grandfather will be seeing my thumbs down.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #30
xdrift0rx
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #17727

My Ride:
1987 Mazda RX-7

see prius' in delaware that i see seem to do the exact opposite. I'll be doing 70-75 down the highway in the right or middle lane, and i'll get passed by a prius doing 90. Do they really think they are getting better gas mileage?? And i see it on side roads too, slam the accelerator to get going...maybe PA drivers are really different from delaware.
xdrift0rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #31
clubken
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #13951

My Ride:
VW hatch with a peanut sized turbo

Send a message via AIM to clubken
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
Sorry, but if you want to get all scientific. If one costs 8k more than the other, they aren't equivalent.
I don't see how you took that as me getting "scientific" or how i said either of the cars were equivalent...
Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST2KWIK View Post
Best part of that is knowing the Prius driver is fuming inside because of all of the "pollution" from the diesel lol.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #33
rodder
Tri-State Addict

Member #6807

My Ride:
2005 STi, 1987 S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrimerSuspect View Post
you only buy hybrid cars if youre already an asshole.
new sig!!

http://www.canada.com/life/Green+sho...734/story.html

Quote:
"When (people) feel that their morality is lacking, they're more likely to engage in good behaviours as compensation," he said. "But when they observe or perceive themselves to be morally satisfied or content, that creates licensing effects for them to engage in ethical behaviours that are less likely to be moral."

rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #34
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

****ing sheeple.

Aren't the costs of owning a Prius higher then owning a normal car in its class in the long run?

Isn't the carbon footprint on them not much better, if not wortse then driving a normal car?

I don't get the appeal of it.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #35
rodder
Tri-State Addict

Member #6807

My Ride:
2005 STi, 1987 S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
****ing sheeple.

Aren't the costs of owning a Prius higher then owning a normal car in its class in the long run?

Isn't the carbon footprint on them not much better, if not wortse then driving a normal car?

I don't get the appeal of it.
it makes you feel like less of an asshole for all the other asshole-ish behaviors you have. Check out the article I linked in my last post.

The people buying these things aren't doing so in an effort to save the planet, they're buying them so they can feel better about themselves.

rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #36
qbcsvt
Tri-State Addict

Member #17058

My Ride:
99 Ford Contour SVT - 91 MR2 Turbo

Looks like you had space to get around them :P

- amyn
qbcsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #37
Fifteen
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #20697

My Ride:
02 Subaru Forester, 91 E30

This is an awful thread to be a Prius owner in.

I don't think what you're talking about is limited to just Prius drivers on the road, it's any idiot in any car.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #38
pmanliu
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #17965

My Ride:
2008 Infiniti FX35

I'm thinking about picking up a used civic hybrid, debadging it, and then putting 5% tint on all the windows. After that, whip out my headscarf and sunglasses. I do not want to be seen in a hybrid, but i drive a crapload every week so it might be cost effective.
pmanliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #39
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
Isn't the pollution to make the Prius more costly than what people are saving?

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #40
Sublime1304
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15678

My Ride:
MK5 TDI Cup Edition Jetta, MK5 GLI

Nuff said

Sent from my HTC Inspire using tapatalk

IG: @mike_perfectstance

Last edited by Sublime1304; 06-22-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Sublime1304 is offline   Reply With Quote