TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Prius drivers found a new self centered way to be annoying

I've notice a new annoying and very selfish trend among Prius owners. Pulling that Pulse and Glide crap on the highway in the left hand lane when there is quite a bit of other traffic around them is bad enough and can get annoying. However this one is worse and probably causes other traffic to waste mroe fuel than the Prius saves.

I've seen this happen several times recently. When the Prius driver gets to an intersection where they are making a turn and they have a stop or yield sign and the traffic on the street they are pulling onto doesn't have a stop sign, they will wait until there is miles of space between cars so they can accelerate slowly only using the electric motor and batteries after making the turn. Often they don't pull out into sufficently large gaps in traffic that are large enough for most economy cars to safely pull out.

What they fail to notice is that the dozen or so cars behind them waiting for 5 minutes are wasting large amounts of fossil fuels. So even though the Prius owner is using less fuel, they are causing all the vehicles behind them to waste plenty of fuel idling away waiting to make the turn. Also it causes a large backup of traffic behind the Prius.

A recent example of this was when I was behind a Prius while waiting to make a right hand turn onto a road that was two lanes in each direction. Traffic on my street had a yield sign. There was a Prius in front of me making the right and they were waiting and waiting and not pulling out to make the right. Several minutes go by and some of the gaps in traffic are literally large enough that I could get out of my car and briskly walk to the center divider of the street and back before the next car got to our position. At first I thought something was mechanically wrong with the Prius in front of me. Traffic was backing up behind me. It was getting close to 5 PM on a weekday and there was well over a dozen cars behind me at this point waiting to make the right hand turn.

After an old lady doing 25 MPH in a 40 MPH zone in the right hand lane on the two lane road we were waiting to pull out onto passed by and there was no car for well over 1/4 mile behind her, the Prius driver slowly pulled out. I saw that there was more than ample room to make the right hand turn and pull out onto the road and I passed the Prius driver before the road went from two lanes to one. Many other cars and trucks waitign behind me also were able to pull out into this large gap in traffic.

At this point I figured out that the Prius driver was one of those self centered Prius drivers waiting for a large gap in traffic so that they could accelerate up to the speed limit without using the gasoline engine and use minimal electricity.

There wasn't enough room before the two lanes merged for me to safely pass the old lady doing 15 under the speed limit, so I got stuck behind her at the next light. Most of the traffic ahead of the old lady and the traffic that passed by while we were waiting to make the right hand turn made it through the light I was stoped at. Behind the Prius was over 8 cars, most of which were behind me waiting to make the right hand turn. When the Prius driver caught up to me at the next light, she started waving at me. At first I thought it might be someone I know, but I didn't recognize her. Then I figured out by the way she was smiling and being over dramatic that the was trying to make it known that she caught up to me after I passed her. I guess she thought her self centered, fuel wasting actions were amusing because she caused me not to make it through the next light and caught up to me.

Because of the Prius driver's actions not only did all the traffic behind the Prius waiting to make the right hand turn sit there for an unnecessarily long time wasting gas and diesel , but the same traffic had to sit at the next light, waiting more gas and diesel fuel. If the Prius driver pulled out when there was room to safely pull out, a few seconds after they stopped and waited to make the right hand turn, then the traffic wouldn't have been stuck behind the old lady doing 25 in a 40 and also would have made it through the next light instead of sat there wasting more gas and diesel.

It makes me wonder how much gas and diesel that driving behavior wastes because of all the traffic behind this driver waiting long times to make turns? Is the Prius' fuel savings from waiting forever to pull out into traffic largely offset by all the idling traffic behind the Prius and all the traffic that gets caught at the next traffic light because of the Prius driver's actions?

I added a photo to help clarify things if that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Chris B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

I think you should drive by one with your window down, holding a gas can and pour it on their car as you drive by. I'll follow you with the match.

/
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
I think you should drive by one with your window down, holding a gas can and pour it on their car as you drive by. I'll follow you with the match.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Ridachu
Tri-State Addict

Member #14535

My Ride:
...i dont have one 8'[

picture ftw!!!
Ridachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

They're trying to use their 30k investment efficiently... Stop bitching about it... I dunno about you, but I can think at least 20 things that drivers do that pisses me off more. It really seems that the Prius has a divided crowd. on the left, there are the owners and approvers and on the right are pitch fork yielding pricks. Live and let live for ****s sake.

These people arent driving a Prius to be "Smug" "self centered"... They're driving them to save money, END OF STORY. They want to maximise their ROI with their 30k car. Do you realize that the Prius gets about 15-17 MPG flooring it? They're ball slow and if they had to floor it all of the time they wouldn't save much on gas at all. They just need the additional space to accelerate due to lack of HP.

With all of that said... I think they all should have bought used metro or civic hatchbacks....
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Nick 95 6sp
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3675

My Ride:
'95 Supra Turbo 6sp

Thanks for giving me another good reason to hate Prius drivers, or at least most of them that fit my stereotype. For some reason I don't mind hating on them even more since they are so annoying. Starting tomorrow this may cause me to yell out my window every time I see one "Fuk you, asshole, and your annoying piece of szchit car"
Nick 95 6sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
I just can't believe you drew a picture.

I can agree that it's annoying, but it's not just Prius owners.

I myself plead guilty to being "that guy" sometimes because I know my vehicle doesn't have the acceleration to safely "merge" from a stop.

Even my teg was sketchy sometimes because I'd lose traction.

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
GmFwd
Tri-State Addict

Member #7981

My Ride:
S15 DD, srt4 drift missile

Dont sweat this so much. Just follow them out and overtake it before the merge and be on your merry way.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

Send a message via AIM to ThePrimerSuspect
its all hybrid owners. i carry nuts and bolts to throw at them on the highway. i figure the cost of replacing the windshield offsets the fuel savings. i passed an altima hybrid a couple weeks ago on the highway at about 75 and the dude gave me the finger. made me laugh. youre just mad casue my 20 year old v8 gets the same highway mileage as your $40k hybrid. you only buy hybrid cars if youre already an asshole.
ThePrimerSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
RedWabbit
Tri-State Addict

Member #16558

My Ride:
00 VW Jetta Vr6, 97 Audi A4, 84 VW Rabbit Vert. Vr6, 81 VW Rabbit diesel truck, 81 VW Rabbit Hatch

dude not only did you write a really long paragraph to express your anger, you took a google picture of said intersection and drew some cars. you must really hate the bitch.

that being said I hate people that stop at a yield when they can clearly merge safely into traffic without stopping. I would had cussed her out if she waived at me.
RedWabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
Slevin
Tri-State Addict

Member #19794

prius drivers around me are ridiculous. they go 90 in a 25, then 25 on the highway. the hate i have for prius drivers would take me ten lifetimes to get over
Slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
2wdlaser
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #19951

My Ride:
91 plymouth laser rs turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrimerSuspect View Post
its all hybrid owners. i carry nuts and bolts to throw at them on the highway. i figure the cost of replacing the windshield offsets the fuel savings. i passed an altima hybrid a couple weeks ago on the highway at about 75 and the dude gave me the finger. made me laugh. youre just mad casue my 20 year old v8 gets the same highway mileage as your $40k hybrid. you only buy hybrid cars if youre already an asshole.
lol good stuff.
2wdlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
2001teg
Tri-State Addict

Member #7004

My Ride:
2001 Integra GSR/Type-R

I agree with OP. ANY hybrid vehicle owner does this. They go slower than slow and always back traffic up.
2001teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #14
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
"You know what sound a Prius makes when it drives by? iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'm gay."

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #15
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

Send a message via AIM to ThePrimerSuspect
The only thing a prius is good for is a bunch of old homeless dudes to have an orgy in. You know what they call that?
ThePrimerSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #16
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridachu View Post
picture ftw!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPancoast View Post
I just can't believe you drew a picture.
Yea, I figured I'd have to be completely clear so I wouldn't get a million questions asking me about the intersection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPancoast View Post
I can agree that it's annoying, but it's not just Prius owners.

I myself plead guilty to being "that guy" sometimes because I know my vehicle doesn't have the acceleration to safely "merge" from a stop.

Even my teg was sketchy sometimes because I'd lose traction.
I think there is a difference between pulling out with ample room to accelerate if you lose a little traction or are driving a 3 cylinder geo metro and waiting until there is a 1/2 mile of traffic free road before pulling out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr-4-Life View Post
They're trying to use their 30k investment efficiently... Stop bitching about it... I dunno about you, but I can think at least 20 things that drivers do that pisses me off more. It really seems that the Prius has a divided crowd. on the left, there are the owners and approvers and on the right are pitch fork yielding pricks. Live and let live for ****s sake.

These people arent driving a Prius to be "Smug" "self centered"... They're driving them to save money, END OF STORY. They want to maximise their ROI with their 30k car. Do you realize that the Prius gets about 15-17 MPG flooring it? They're ball slow and if they had to floor it all of the time they wouldn't save much on gas at all. They just need the additional space to accelerate due to lack of HP.
So basically they are being self centered because they are wasting the money(fuel) and time of other drivers so that they can save a few cents when making a right hand turn. I do know the Prius gets crappy mileage when flooring it, worse than a BMW M3 if you believe 5th Gear. The driver had ample opportunity to pull out and accelerate with using a penny or two worth of gas. Yes, the prius isn't fast, but its quicker than the 3 speed auto trans Geo my mom had and I drove that on occasion without too much trouble and could have safely pulled out into the gaps in traffic in that situation without waiting 5 minutes for 1/2 mile of clear road.

I'd like to point out that this isn't the only Prius driver I've seen doing this either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr-4-Life View Post
With all of that said... I think they all should have bought used metro or civic hatchbacks....
If they bought the Prius because care about the environment then I agree. Buying a used car that gets good gas mielage is better for the environment over the lifetime of the car than getting a new Prius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWabbit View Post
dude not only did you write a really long paragraph to express your anger, you took a google picture of said intersection and drew some cars. you must really hate the bitch.
I have to say its wonderful therapy. I still hate when people do that, but after making the picture to point out how much of a self centered idiot she was, I feel a lot better about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWabbit View Post
that being said I hate people that stop at a yield when they can clearly merge safely into traffic without stopping. I would had cussed her out if she waived at me.
I'm sure she could have continued without stopping if she pressed the accelerator down a little further, but then she would have had to run on gasoline and not batteries alone.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #17
98GSXdude
Tri-State Addict

Member #155

Ever since I took a Prius over 100 at my last job, I've wanted one. I just think it would be so funny getting a speeding ticket. Reminds me of the trailer for that new movie Horrible Bosses. "You wanna explain why you were going 65 in a 25 zone? I was drag racing. In a Prius? I don't win a lot."
E36 M3
Ex's: E46 M3, 350Z, 300ZX TT, E39 M5, 1G GSX, 2G GSX
98GSXdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

I test drove a Prius before I got my Civic and they do not accelerate fast at all... It felt like something was wrong with the car.. Could be why they are waiting for a bigger space to merge.
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:
'98 240sx, 98 Impreza L, 00 SV650

Send a message via AIM to 420sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post
"You know what sound a Prius makes when it drives by? iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'm gay."
Hahahaha YES.

I love the people that say its for money savings. The car was 30k. Do the math, youll find out that you have to drive your hybrid for 300,000 miles before starting to save money over an equivalent, non-hybrid car.

I did the math comparing the base model Civic with the Civic hybrid. Hybrid is $8000 more. It would take 313,000 miles (based on the difference in fuel economy at current gas prices) before the hybrid owner has saved enough to EQUAL the price of the gas civic. Only THEN they start saving money.

Not to mention that hybrid cars leave a much larger carbon footprint due to the expense of manufacturing and disposing of them.

I could go on about the idiocy of hybrid cars, and the idiocy of the average American for days.

I just give hybrids a "thumbs down" when I pass them.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #20
accordguy04
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #18243

My Ride:
2004 Honda Accord 6-6

Send a message via AIM to accordguy04
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GSXdude View Post
Ever since I took a Prius over 100 at my last job, I've wanted one. I just think it would be so funny getting a speeding ticket. Reminds me of the trailer for that new movie Horrible Bosses. "You wanna explain why you were going 65 in a 25 zone? I was drag racing. In a Prius? I don't win a lot."
I'm pretty sure Dr. Phils kid got pulled over a couple years ago for speeding. He was doin over 100 mph in his prius, was drunk, and had pot on him. haha
accordguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote