TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Exterior, Interior, and Electrical
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
qbcsvt
Tri-State Addict

Member #17058

My Ride:
99 Ford Contour SVT - 91 MR2 Turbo

*Properly* installing a wing on a car, help!

Hey Guys,

I dont have the wing in possession but I want to make this as quick and smooth as possible when I get it in the mail (should be 1-3 more days).

The PO says it is brand new never used. Doesn't come with any mounting hardware.

My car is wingless and the holes have been welded/filled when I removed the stock wing. I understand the simple rule of installation to drill holes, and bolt on.

I am worried about water leaks, rattling and vibration. As for when I get bolts I figure I will use a bit of gasket I have lying around make it into a "gasket washer" (If I cannot find something like this at a local hardware store). This will prevent water dripping into the trunk.

Next I am worried about vibration. As for most spoilers they usually have some sort of thin gasket or rubber to prevent scratches during installation, vibrations during use and such.

Anyone have expertise in regards to this. I am sure my body shop will inform me of these things when I ask, but I would like techniques from everyone.

Pictures of the wing:

Pics of my car:

Thank You

- amyn

Last edited by qbcsvt; 10-04-2010 at 02:44 AM.
qbcsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Pretty much like you said, most wings come with some form of felt padding on the bottom to help keep off marring. If it doesn't, you can always cut and fit your own.

It wouldn't hurt to apply some silicone on the inside of the car once the bolt is in. Makes it a bit more of a bitch to take off again, but certainly not that terrible and it will definitely be much more water tight that way. Felt washers on the top side are also nice. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the wing scratching the paint under where it sits. Simply because if you take it off, you will have to refill the holes and repaint those areas in which case you'll cover up any marring that the wing may have caused anyway.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Foam tape will get rid of any vibrations. Or I'm sure you can find a thin rubber o-ring at Home Depot. I would run a bead of RTV on the inside of the trunk lid arroudn the hole to prevent water leaking.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Going greddy wing? gonna look sweet.

and i agree with soviet said 100% some nice sealant and a few felt/rubber washers will do the trick.

Do you still have the holes from the bottom side in the trunk?
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

Be careful when drilling the holes for the new wing, if they're going to be where the old one was mounted. Whoever did the filling/painting from your last wing may have just used plastic filler, and it way chip.

Also, when you go to mount the new wing, get yourself a paint marker and dab the bolt posts on the end of the threads. You can line the wing up, and the paint marker will transfer to the car and it makes it a lot easier to drill your holes.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
qbcsvt
Tri-State Addict

Member #17058

My Ride:
99 Ford Contour SVT - 91 MR2 Turbo

^ I usually use some sort of marker to do it. IIRC, the wing uses some of the same mounting holes as the previous wing.

I was in the shop the whole time when I prepped my car for paint. My trunk holes were both welded as well as filled. Hopefully this wont be as bad of a task as I think it is. I am hoping to get the wing on before the 16th for Bear Mountain.

- amyn
qbcsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:
2018 Pacifica Limited, 1995 F150, 2015 Hyundai Accent Sport, 06 Corvette Z06

no help for you but god damn is that a sexy ass lol big exhaust and star specs are always win lol

*CK*
ambitiousCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Since your trunk lid was already filled and painted I would find a new lid before drilling it again.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote