TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:
88 Merkur XR4Ti | 92 Mazda MX3 | 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer | 91 Ford Ranger89 | 89 Yamaha FZR600

Send a message via ICQ to R22B Send a message via AIM to R22B
R22B's 92 MX3 GX 1.8L V6 - RallyCar Rallycross Build (Car Gutted!)

History
Ever since I sold my 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, I missed the feeling of tossing around a light weight car. Don't get me wrong, I found the WRX fun, but I find eating twisties much more satisfying than getting pushed back in a seat from speed.

So for the past year or so, I've been keeping my eyes our for a somewhat clean Miata. Everyone asked me why I was going from a Subaru to a Mazda. Everyone gave me crap for wanting a Miata. I didn't care. Sure, I'm a big guy and I knew I probably wouldn't fit comfortably... but I still wanted one.

Fast forward until this past weekend. I had a few friends over and they started talking about one of their Mazda MX3. I asked them what it was and they explained it was a 1.8L V6, 2 door coupe. I was intrigued so I decided to do a quick Google image to search to see what it looked like. Honestly, at first, I didn't really like it. However, it was priced that I just HAD to look at it. So I ventured over and I took a look at it and I fell in love. It had a rx7 rear window slope, it had a very non-aggressive front end. It had very comfortable front seats. It had sporty rear seats. The only downfall was that its an automatic. Regardless, I decided to take a stroll in it.

It took a while to crank her over since it hasn't started in a year. A few seconds trying to start it, while it was being jumped, and pushing down the gas pedal it slowly started to turn over. As I sat in the driver seat, listening to running – I realized how calm it sounded. It was like she only sat for one day, not for a year.

So we went up and down a few roads in his neighborhood. It shifted very smooth, it ran very smooth, and the little V6 revved smooth – all the way up to 7k. Driving down a side street, throwing it around like I was avoiding chicanes, getting weird looks from his neighbors, I realized I was smiling from ear to ear. I was in love with the car.

After we parked it, I told him I love it – but I have to do more research about the car first. On the way home, I had the wife on her phone reading more about it. By the time we got home – I told him I wanted it. It needs brakes, rotors, and tires... and for the price, I'd be an idiot not to take it – especially it gave me that feeling that I haven't felt since I sold my 2.5RS.

Last night,we picked up the car, towed it home and parked it in my driveway. I spent 8 hours today cleaning it out, vacuuming it, and scrubbing the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipeda
The Mazda MX-3 was a four-seat hatchback produced from September 1991 to 1998. It was based on the EC platform. The MX-3 was marketed as the Mazda MX-3 Precidia in Canada, the Eunos 30X in Australia, and as the Eunos Presso, Autozam AZ-3 and Mazda AZ-3 in Japan.The MX-3 is quite popular for modification because of the range of performance engines which can be transplanted, such as the KL-ZE.

The MX-3 was notable for having one of the lowest displacement V6 engines ever fitted to a production vehicle with its 1.8 L V6.

The V6 MX-3 had a top speed of approximately 212 km/h (132 mph). The MX-3 GS could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 8.4 seconds, and could travel a quarter mile in 16.4 seconds. With a turning rate of 0.89 g (8.7 m/s˛), its handling capabilities were one of the best in its class.

The V6 engine was impressive for the time, belonging to the Mazda K-series, which were used in a range of Mazda vehicles. These engines were designed to be smooth, very long lasting, and hold a high torque across the RPM range. These engines used a variable length intake manifold (VLIM), in order to provide optimal torque using intake resonance. Mazda called their system on the MX-3 the "Variable Resonance Induction System" (VRIS). This engine had a 7000 rpm redline, and a 7800 rpm fuel cutoff. It is rumored that Porsche designers helped to create the K series engine.[citation needed]

The MX-3 used Mazda's proprietary Twin-Trapezoidal Link (TTL) for the rear suspension. It passively allowed the rear wheels to turn slightly in order to enhance handling. It has been used on a range of Mazda vehicles, providing a smooth ride, yet delivering responsive handling while minimizing body lean.
Quick Links

Last edited by R22B; 09-06-2010 at 06:55 PM.
R22B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:
88 Merkur XR4Ti | 92 Mazda MX3 | 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer | 91 Ford Ranger89 | 89 Yamaha FZR600

Current Mods
Exterior
  • Two auxiliary fog lights

Interior
  • Bone stock...

Drivetrain
  • Cheap eBay strut tower bar that came with the car.

Current Plans
Exterior
  • Eibach lowering springs (and possibly new struts)

Interior
  • JVC KDR210 Headunit
  • Infinity Speakers
  • Replacement OE rear seat

Drivetrain
  • None yet...

Last edited by R22B; 05-31-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:

Pictures

May 5, 2010

Last edited by R22B; 05-05-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:

So because it sat for a year, I decided to do a few things before daily driving it. I ended up doing an oil change (last one was 11/2008), dumping some coolant in there because it was nearly dry (hopefully its not a head gasket...) and doing the spark plugs today as well as rear rotors/brakes.

I noticed that once it warms up and I rev it.. the rpms will rise and then fall below idle and almost stall. I'm not sure what to think about it, as I'm sure 1 year old gas doesn't like to be run haha. So we will see if that fixes itself down the road.

I just ordered some new rubber for it. Really no *updates* haha.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:

Just fixed the problem with it almost stalling by adjusting the idle. I raised it where it should be so now its good
Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
JDMTyler3326
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9917

My Ride:
^

Send a message via AIM to JDMTyler3326
This should be a awesome build.
JDMTyler3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
FazdaGt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3161

My Ride:
compensates for my size.

Send a message via AIM to FazdaGt
the first car i owned that legally saw the road was an mx3 v6, same color, ad automatic as well.

this takes me back man!

good luck with it, those auto trans' are junk so be nice to it. but a manual swap is cake when the time comes....

Quote:
"Hi, Italy? I broke one of your Lambos, I can has new oil pan and bumper?"
FazdaGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
CR4CK
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16240

My Ride:
1994 Acura Integra GSR

Any plans for a manual swap?

Good luck with everything!
CR4CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
XxaltezzaxX
Tri-State Addict

Member #2364

My Ride:
02 WRX, 99 foz, 03 p5

looks like a mint mx3, good base for a project.
XxaltezzaxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4CK View Post
Any plans for a manual swap?

Good luck with everything!
Short term - no. This is my 'beater' car so I really don't want to do too much, but if the trans decides to leave its innards all over the highway -- I'll definitely do a trans swap. From my research, the these trans are complete and utter crap so I have to keep some extra funds around for a swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxaltezzaxX View Post
looks like a mint mx3, good base for a project.
Nah paint is definitely rough haha. Clear coat is popping up in places... but its a good base for some future things.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
Cool little car, I always wondered if they were fun to drive. Guess i have my answer now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:

So last weekend I did the front brakes and rotors on it. This weekend I attacked the rear. One of the reasons I got the car for cheap was because there are two screws that hold the rear rotors onto the hub. One was stripped and the rest refused to come out. It was nothing a drill couldn't handle. Also, the rear rotors were really rusted onto the hub. I sprayed everything with some pb blaster and let it soak overnight. The next morning, it still took some convincing with a hammer to break them loose.

Another reason I got the car for so cheap was the hood refused to latch. It would go all the way down, but it the latch wouldn't click. With some investigating, it looks like the hood latch wire was routed wrong and it didn't allow it to give enough slack. It took all of five seconds to fix that.

Now I drained all the gas out of it yesterday since it was over a year old. The thing smoked white and I took a gamble on it being a head gasket or just being water ladened gas. It doesn't burn coolant but it still smokes white. Could be oil, but doesn't smell like it and its definitely white. We will see.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:

Well, I was letting the car idle and I noticed it sounded like my car was gurgling water. Very interesting. Looks like I'll be draining the exhaust haha. Damn muffler fluid must be low :D
Old 05-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:

White smoke issue has cleared up. Not sure what was up with it, but it stopped!

I took it for a drive and I heard some unfortunate clunks over bumps. I took the wheel off on the front passenger side and noticed the endlink had more play in than a Nintendo. I got some OE replacements from Mazda and replaced the front driver and passenger side. That cleared up that issue.

Another issue is the headlights on this thing SUCKS. Everyone that knows me knows I'm a light bar machine. Give me a car and I can fab a light bar up for it. So I got two cheap fog lights, did some cutting on the bumper, created a light bar, welded some bits, and wired it up. I didn't have a chance to really align them since its not dark enough out.

Honestly, it still needs more light. I have two driving lights I debated on installing because I thought these would be bright enough. It looks like I was wrong.

Last edited by R22B; 05-31-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:

Nothing really exciting. I started driving it Thursday, finally got it inspected on Saturday and everything passed. I lasted a day with no stereo. Seriously, driving 60 miles a day with nothing but freeway air noise is quite boring. I picked up the cheapest unit I could through my work which I just happen to like. Just a cheap JVC KD-R210 unit.

One problem with the car I did find was that the air filter was missing a crucial piece so I ended up sucking in nothing but unfiltered air for a few days. I ordered a cheap K&N universal filter.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:

So the car just took a 90 degree bend in terms of being built. Anyone that knows me knows how much of a rally fan and I am and after watching the rallycross @ NJMP, I started thinking.

A week passed and I mentioned it to my wife - she gave me the go ahead

Its going to be a long drawn out build as I don't have a ton of spare money just laying around, but I will slowly be building it to compete in the 2WD class in RallyCar Rallycross Championship.

In Rallycross rules, you are allowed to an engine from the manufacture of the vehicle. Being how mine is a little slow (130hp), my plans are a swap to a KLZE which is at 200hp. I also plan on converting it to manual when the motor is out.

200hp in a car that weighs 2500-/+ pounds is quick enough to move and it would definitely be competitive in the 2WD class. Turbos will get me up top, but I'll be a V6. I can't run turbo as I don't have the license to do so.

My goal is every weekend, I'll do something to the car to get it ready to compete, regardless if its installing flexon windows or installing mudflaps. As long as I'm moving forward, the project won't stall.

So roughly in 3 hours, I gutted the car. I took everything out nice in case I want to sell them to members on mx-3.com or ebay. This car IS my DD as well so I can't have a ton of down time (although I do have another vehicle I can drive)

Here are a few pictures:

Before:
MX3 Interior Before by JamesHenry, on Flickr

After:

MX3 Interior After by JamesHenry, on Flickr

A look back by JamesHenry, on Flickr
Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #17
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:

I got tired of having no sun visors so I cut some tint and made myself a sun visor. Its down far, but it works really well.

Driverseat by JamesHenry, on Flickr

I also ordered some KYB GR2's. I still need new springs and top hats, but the GR2's for my car are discontinued (odd since they fit like 8 other different cars) so I got them now before its too late.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #18
20tibby07
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #17212

My Ride:
2007 Hyundai Tiburon

this build is sweet. good luck with the rest!
20tibby07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:

I guess one nice thing about working where I work is I get parts at cost -- makes building a car a bit cheaper ;). The MX3 desperately needs new struts, springs, and top hats so this week I ordered the struts. Three came in today and the other one will be in Monday.

New KYB Struts by JamesHenry, on Flickr
Old 12-27-2023, 03:41 AM   #20
Upligigoa
Noob-Jersey

Member #29558

Send a message via AIM to Upligigoa Send a message via Yahoo to Upligigoa
You need to evaluate all user messages: say something and ask a relevant question in one sentence of a relevant topic, write without using user nicknames without emotions.
Upligigoa is offline   Reply With Quote