Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-25-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
mazda6guy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #92

Send a message via AIM to mazda6guy
V-8 in RX-7

To all my fellow rotor headz I need your opinion. I was thinking about doing an V-8 conversion on my FB. What is your opinions and advice on this. I was thinking about going with a Chevy 350 along with a 700R4 tranny. Yes this car would be for the drag strip plus a daily commuter to and from work. I have plans of buying a TII in a couple of months so I still love the almighty Wankel!
Old 06-25-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
FeeJ
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #575

Send a message via AIM to FeeJ
http://v8rx7.com/

thats a pretty decent site I stumbled upon

I've seen some discussions of V8's in FB's being insane overkill in power, but I dunno and if you feel like getting everywhere fast and probably sideways go do it lol

I say if the 12A is still functional keep it till she blows, so its still an RX-7, most people go with LT1's and other vette motors, they seem to fit well or whatever, but if you decide to do it anyway, GL, and take many pictures along the way

2Lt USAF 62E1G
Edwards AFB, leaving the jughandles
FeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeeJ
http://v8rx7.com/

thats a pretty decent site I stumbled upon

I've seen some discussions of V8's in FB's being insane overkill in power, but I dunno and if you feel like getting everywhere fast and probably sideways go do it lol

I say if the 12A is still functional keep it till she blows, so its still an RX-7, most people go with LT1's and other vette motors, they seem to fit well or whatever, but if you decide to do it anyway, GL, and take many pictures along the way
I thought the older Vettes were running LS1 motors, except the most recent c6 vette.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
LSHatch
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #260

My Ride:
G3Fizzle

Send a message via AIM to LSHatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xEJ20x
I thought the older Vettes were running LS1 motors, except the most recent c6 vette.
C5's used the LS1. C4's used the LT1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
LSHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #5
moorefire
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #241

My Ride:
MS13 - V35

Send a message via AIM to moorefire
I want one. I love FDs but I hate rotarys

FD+LS1 or VG30DET= my dream street killer

http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/3...x7chevyv8.html
Old 06-25-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
mazda6guy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #92

Yeah a nice combo with the FD is the LS1 motor. I just love that rotary sound especially when it is a turbo rotary. Well if my FB was a 13B I would not think of this conversion. Just think it is cheaper to do a v-8 coversion than a 13B turbo conversion for my FB. The only thing that I hate about rotaries is that they are really exspensive. :thumbdow:
Old 06-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #7
mazda6guy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #92

Well since I am so impatient the project is about to begin. I pick up the 700R4 tranny today and my buddy is going to do a fresh rebuild on it. Next month I am going to order the 350 small block from Summit. This project should hopefully be completed by next summer.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:10 AM   #8
sPrSw2o
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #567

Send a message via AIM to sPrSw2o
v8 rx7's are GAY.

you mother was a lizard.
sPrSw2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:30 AM   #9
SilverTurboRidin
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #197

Send a message via AIM to SilverTurboRidin Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurboRidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sPrSw2o
v8 rx7's are GAY.
Hardly, They are some of the real street killer's.
Now it's a war you ain't on the side wit me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
SilverTurboRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
sPrSw2o

Member #567

rx7's were not designed for straight line performance. pulling the rotary and throwing in an anchor takes from the designs of the car, therefore ruining the car. this makes it GAY.

you mother was a lizard.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #11
LSHatch
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #260

My Ride:
G3Fizzle

Quote:
rx7's were not designed for straight line performance. pulling the rotary and throwing in an anchor takes from the designs of the car, therefore ruining the car. this makes it GAY.
Rotaries are heavy motors. You DO know this right?

Putting in an LT1 or LS1 will hardly hurt the handling. A lot of guys who have done the swap actually like the handling better with the Chevy.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:45 PM   #12
SilverTurboRidin
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #197

Send a message via AIM to SilverTurboRidin Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurboRidin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSHatch
Quote:

Putting in an LT1 or LS1 will hardly hurt the handling. A lot of guys who have done the swap actually like the handling better with the Chevy.
, Thank you!!! I knew you were a smart cookie like myself! LOL
Old 06-30-2005, 04:00 PM   #13
sPrSw2o

Member #567

Quote:
Quote:

you must be joking. 2 ppl can lift a 13b from an engine bay w/ no hoist. try that with an ls1. those guys that "prefer" the handling in the chevy say this b/c the ls1 moves the rx7's weight distribution extremely to the front, which would cause understeer problems. an ls1 camaro/vette's weight distribution is more neutral b/c the rear of the car is heavier. this is why there is a more positive feeling in the chevy.

you mother was a lizard.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:07 PM   #14
LSHatch
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #260

My Ride:
G3Fizzle

The TII 13b weighs in around 400lbs, while the LS1 almost hits 500. So a 100lb difference in the front which can easily be counteracted. Battery moved to the rear, fiberglass hood, take out all unnecessary parts. You end up with a car that has much more potential and reliability. The car ends up only being about 30-40 lbs heavier in the nose. Not too shabby.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #15
SilverTurboRidin
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #197

you also get a car that with enough weight reduction will lift the front tires lol
Old 07-01-2005, 08:36 AM   #16
mazda6guy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #92

Here is a little more info about this swap. I got to ride in one yesterday with an LS1 in it and it is the shiznit setup for an FC. The RX-7's layout and structure is well suited to engine conversions. The rotary engine's eccentric shaft centerline is way up in the center of the rotary engine, dictating a much higher transmission location than that of a piston engine. The net result is that Mazda designed the RX-7 with a HUGE transmission tunnel, big enough to fit even the monster T-56 6 spd manual transmission which was used in the Viper and Corvette. The rotary engine's low torque output required Mazda to use a very heavy flywheel and a high rear gear ratio, a combination of factors that combined induce large amounts of stress on the RX-7's rear axles and hubs. Mazda planned accordingly, and designed plenty of strength into the RX-7's rear differential/axles/and hubs. Experience has shown that the stock NA RX-7 components are strong enough to withstand low 10sec 1/4mi passes, a feat that requires around 500hp. Now does this sound GAY?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:22 AM   #17
G1GSX
Tri-State Addict

Member #566

Send a message via AIM to G1GSX
RX7 with a viper motor and a 6 speed that would be fun
G1GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:54 AM   #18
moorefire
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #241

My Ride:
MS13 - V35

Send a message via AIM to moorefire
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you must be joking. 2 ppl can lift a 13b from an engine bay w/ no hoist. try that with an ls1. those guys that "prefer" the handling in the chevy say this b/c the ls1 moves the rx7's weight distribution extremely to the front, which would cause understeer problems. an ls1 camaro/vette's weight distribution is more neutral b/c the rear of the car is heavier. this is why there is a more positive feeling in the chevy.
You sound like all the annoying armchair engineers that cry on drift forums like "you can't drift anything that doesn't have 50/50 weight dist!!" idiots

No one prefers the weight dist of the V8, but the benefits in reliability, drivability, and not having a car that sounds like a chainsaw on crack greatily outweigh the weight distribution problem.

PS, if anyone is intrested in a sweet sr20det powered fc let me know immediately
Old 07-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #19
FC3S4

Member #370

Send a message via AIM to FC3S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6guy
Experience has shown that the stock NA RX-7 components are strong enough to withstand low 10sec 1/4mi passes, a feat that requires around 500hp. Now does this sound GAY?

No, it sounds wrong.
FC3S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #20
sPrSw2o

Member #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6guy
Here is a little more info about this swap. I got to ride in one yesterday with an LS1 in it and it is the shiznit setup for an FC. The RX-7's layout and structure is well suited to engine conversions. The rotary engine's eccentric shaft centerline is way up in the center of the rotary engine, dictating a much higher transmission location than that of a piston engine. The rotary engine's low torque output required Mazda to use a very heavy flywheel and a high rear gear ratio, a combination of factors that combined induce large amounts of stress on the RX-7's rear axles and hubs.
your looking at it the complete wrong way. the "high" centerline of the e-shaft does NOT dictate a higher transmission mount. it dictates a LOWER engine mounting location, which is just another reason dropping an ls1 (or any other piston engine) hurts the cars ability to turn, b/c it raises the vehicles center of gravity. a stock tII does not produce comparably low tq numbers, and why you think engineers used a heavy flywheel b/c of "low tq output", is beyond me. other than being a mating surface for your clutch, an flywheel has no purpose other than to carry momentum, and to smooth power impulses (which is less neccessary in a rotary).

i've never weighed a complete 13b, but ive held most of the main components (rotors, housings, etc..), and im pretty sure that a complete 13b does not weigh 400 lbs. adding that much weight DOES throw off the balance of the car. i said nothing about drifting. im no armchair engineer, and i care nothing about what weight distribution is prefered for drifting. im speaking only of real racing, in which moving the weight forward in an rx7 is in no way beneficial.

you mother was a lizard.