TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Drag Racing
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 06-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
09civicsisedan
Tri-State Addict

Member #10467

My Ride:
What month is it?

Send a message via AIM to 09civicsisedan
First time at the track ... Cobalt Turbo

Well I took out my stock cobalt turbo for the first time to the drag strip (Cecil County Dragway in Rising Sun, MD). She had 3400 miles on the clock and I just changed the oil on Thursday myself with Mobil 1 Synthetic.

It was a pretty good run overall.

Here are my times in order:

#1: 14.320 @ 102.93 with a 2.566 60' (first time tracking and launching the car at a strip)
#2: 14.179 @ 102.46 w/ a 2.442 60'
#3: 14.028 @ 103.41 w/ a 2.360 60' (almost high 13's )
#4: 14.113 @ 102.71 w/ a 2.295 60'
#5: 13.847 @ 104.18 w/ a 2.315 60'
#6: 13.827 @ 104.39 w/ a 2.293 60'

I know this car can do better, but I think I did pretty good all things consider. My times were starting to get consistent in the high 13's so I figured I'd give her a rest for the day and watch the 6 second cars go by! I hot lapped the car and never really turned her off. I had a 1/4 tank of gas. Tire pressure in front at 20psi and 40 in the rear.

I need to work on my 60's and I'll get better. The best stock 1/4 time I've seen is 13.58 @ 103, so I know I can do that, but I need to work on some of my timing.

This was done using a 2400 rpm launch and No lift shifting (yes, this car has it built in) every gear.

On for pics:

Best run of the day - almost identical :

Next up is some power mods - downpipe, intake, charge piping, tune and new tires.

Let me know what ya guys think....
Old 06-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
4DR_DB7
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #13599

My Ride:
97 Acura Teg

since u asked...I think you're a bit not-smart to drag race a brand new car w/ 3400 miles on the motor... its barely even broken in yet. Are you just gonna keep beating on it until you get into low 13s? to prove what to whom?

I guess voiding your warranty and potentially paying to replace a motor (esp. if you're using Mobile 1, ie. Half-synthetic) out-of-pocket isn't a major concern? must be nice...
4DR_DB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
Very nice. These have a ton of potential.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
09civicsisedan
Tri-State Addict

Member #10467

My Ride:
What month is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DR_DB7 View Post
since u asked...I think you're a bit not-smart to drag race a brand new car w/ 3400 miles on the motor... its barely even broken in yet. Are you just gonna keep beating on it until you get into low 13s? to prove what to whom?

I guess voiding your warranty and potentially paying to replace a motor (esp. if you're using Mobile 1, ie. Half-synthetic) out-of-pocket isn't a major concern? must be nice...
This argument can go up in arms and has been for years now. Some say drive it, some say don't. Go figure. I don't want this to become a debate on how I should drive my car. I appreciate the insight, but I have no intentions on running back to the drag strip to run it stock again until I have all of the above listed installed.

PS - I only use full synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanNeon98 View Post
Very nice. These have a ton of potential.
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
06evors
Tri-State Addict

Member #4563

My Ride:
00 MX-5 LS

Send a message via MSN to 06evors
Quote:
This part made me lol. The motor is well broken in by 3400 miles. I guess he'll beat on it all he wants since, well it is his car, go figure.
06evors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
4DR_DB7
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #13599

My Ride:
97 Acura Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09civicsisedan View Post
This argument can go up in arms and has been for years now. Some say drive it, some say don't. Go figure. I don't want this to become a debate on how I should drive my car. I appreciate the insight, but I have no intentions on running back to the drag strip to run it stock again until I have all of the above listed installed.

PS - I only use full synthetic.

Thanks!
not if you're using Mobile 1.... ;)

Listen, if you're rich and have a garage full of cars, I wouldn't have said anything. Since it appears this is your only car and a daily driver, I again say wait a little while before overhauling the engine or turbo system. You'll be in tears if something happens to your brand new $20,000 investment (its not a toy, unless it was a gift to you, ya know?) and its not covered by warranty (see: Soda Popinski's thread).

then again, maybe you're rich... idk.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9456

My Ride:
03 GTI w/ F4h-T 250-260hp goal

Send a message via AIM to Elliott18t
nice, but half second more off of what they where quoted at for stock 1/4mi? where they just being modest? just wondering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

TST's Dub Cult
Elliott18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
4DR_DB7
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #13599

My Ride:
97 Acura Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06evors View Post
This part made me lol. The motor is well broken in by 3400 miles. I guess he'll beat on it all he wants since, well it is his car, go figure.

Not really. And not according to manufacturer's spec-- which in terms of warranty, is all that matters... not your opinion.

and in fact he said he's not going to beat on it...
Old 06-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
since u asked...I think you're a bit not-smart to drag race a brand new car w/ 3400 miles on the motor... its barely even broken in yet.

Dumbest thing I read in a while. So I guess all the people that drag their cars should break them in for 5000 miles before racing them? I along with a lot of other people I know that drag their cars build a motor, start it heat cycle it, change the oil and strap it on the dyno, tune it and go race it. If it is not built right it will come apart. If your motor is put together properly what is driving it for x number of miles going to do? Help seat the rings better, lube the bearnings more? HAHA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Northeast Drag Racing Club/Performance Parts Webstore
underpressure02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
alwaysinboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1454

My Ride:
04 EVO Wrecked by Oakes Detailing

my EVO had 1100 miles on it the first time it saw the drag strip... a couple hundred 1/4mile passes & 102k miles later its still running strong.
I also used Mobil 1 5w-30 for MOST of those miles, go figure.

Jessie James
alwaysinboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
09civicsisedan
Tri-State Addict

Member #10467

My Ride:
What month is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott18t View Post
nice, but half second more off of what they where quoted at for stock 1/4mi? where they just being modest? just wondering
mag racing times are weak ... plus they stick in drivers who have ran the car for maybe an hour and throw em on the drag strip ..

There have been passes of 12.7 fully tuned and bolted for these guys
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
09civicsisedan
Tri-State Addict

Member #10467

My Ride:
What month is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post
my EVO had 1100 miles on it the first time it saw the drag strip... a couple hundred 1/4mile passes & 102k miles later its still running strong.
I also used Mobil 1 5w-30 for MOST of those miles, go figure.
exactly what I use
Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
4DR_DB7
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #13599

My Ride:
97 Acura Teg

lol.

1- A Cobalt is not an EVO. Its does not have a time-tested 4g63.
2- Mobil 1 will not definitely harm your engine (though its def not fully synthetic)... but there are PLENTY of stories out there of engine failure while using Mobile 1.. including my previous car.

UnderPressure - READ son. Its a brand new daily driver. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have a garage full of cars like Blkz06. I'm trying to save this guy some consternation like Soda Popinski had. Kids just join this site, think they can fully mod out their car, void their warranty, run it balls to the ground... because thats what seems to be the thing to do on here, and no one will tell them not too... then, they are in a pile of SH*T when their motor blows and its not covered under the warranty. The best built motors still blow up every so often buddy... I've seen quite a few [according to some people on here] "bulletproof" 2jz's take a big oil dump going down the track... If a 2jz can go, then I think a Cobalt motor can too.... thats all i'm saying. no need to be so defensive.

If you want to beat on a car, just buy a used car... I hate to see brand new cars getting beat on and abused, then the owner cries when it blows. :D But obviously, if you parents bought u the car and pay for it...what do u care? lol
Old 06-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
4DR_DB7
Tri-State Addict
Banned

Member #13599

My Ride:
97 Acura Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09civicsisedan View Post
exactly what I use
exactly what I used too.... before my engine threw a rod threw the block @ 50K due to an undetermined oiling issue.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
09civicsisedan
Tri-State Addict

Member #10467

My Ride:
What month is it?

whoa whoa whoa, you're making accusations like I'm half of this forum board here (this 18 year old kid who had mommy and daddy buy me this car). I bought it myself and have another car as my DD.

I know the reprocutions of modding my car and dragging it. This is becoming silliness. We all know the saying of you gotta pay to play and I have the utmost comprehension of this. Simply because I took my car to the track with 3500 miles on it doesn't throw me in the loop with the rest of the crowd that tunes, mods and expects their cars to last 100k.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
underpressure02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #645

Quote:
lol.

UnderPressure - READ son. Its a brand new daily driver. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have a garage full of cars like Blkz06. I'm trying to save this guy some consternation like Soda Popinski had. Kids just join this site, think they can fully mod out their car, void their warranty, run it balls to the ground... because thats what seems to be the thing to do on here, and no one will tell them not too... then, they are in a pile of SH*T when their motor blows and its not covered under the warranty. The best built motors still blow up every so often buddy... I've seen quite a few [according to some people on here] "bulletproof" 2jz's take a big oil dump going down the track... If a 2jz can go, then I think a Cobalt motor can too.... thats all i'm saying. no need to be so defensive.

If you want to beat on a car, just buy a used car... I hate to see brand new cars getting beat on and abused, then the owner cries when it blows. :D But obviously, if you parents bought u the car and pay for it...what do u care? lol

Trust me kid I have a few years on you.

And last time I checked it was his car so he is free to do what he wants to it. Who cares where or how he got it. I am sure he knows the risks of racing a car and things can break. You have yet to provide any information as to why the car is not broken in and why he should not be racing it.

Brian Ballard and Jason Hunt have put those ecotech motors through hell and they seem to hold up pretty well. Much more dependable then the b series motors I run and the 4g63 motors other people run.

From your posts you seem to be another person that reads a lot and thinks they know about cars. Once you get some real world experience and engine building experience come tell this kid how to break in his motor.

Back on topic. Good luck on reaching your goals with your new car. Get those 60 foot times down and your times will improve.

Northeast Drag Racing Club/Performance Parts Webstore
underpressure02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #17
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

that car will only go that fast at cecil, gotta love how downhill that track is. my truck was noticably faster there.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #18
06evors
Tri-State Addict

Member #4563

My Ride:
00 MX-5 LS

Send a message via MSN to 06evors
Quote:
Not really. And not according to manufacturer's spec-- which in terms of warranty, is all that matters... not your opinion.

and in fact he said he's not going to beat on it...
The part of your post I highlighted had nothing to do with waranty or what chevy recomends. Your the one who elevated your opinion to fact when you insult him for driving his car how he wants well beyond any "break-in" period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
that car will only go that fast at cecil, gotta love how downhill that track is. my truck was noticably faster there.
My eclipse was noticably slower at cecil and faster at ATCO. Didn't know it was downhill.

Last edited by 06evors; 06-24-2009 at 06:16 PM.
06evors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #19
rmiii28
Tri-State Addict

Member #3368

My Ride:
G body

Send a message via AIM to rmiii28
Quote:

lol I know if i pay over $20000 for a car im not going to let it sit.I am going to go out and have fun. Regardless it if it runs 13s or not its pretty respectable for what it is. Don't get mad cause you got to do a bunch of mods to your car to get it to where his is stock. Anywhays good luck with the colbolt
Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #20
05 mazda6s
Tri-State Addict

Member #5265

My Ride:
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Send a message via AIM to 05 mazda6s
Might actually want to check out castrol edge synthetic claims it has 8x better wear protection than mobil 1 in their tests.