TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
2slowMX5
Tri-State Addict

Member #1351

Fraternal order of police tag. Consenquences of using one.

A friend who works at a car dealer gave me a FOP Badge. Its a small round metal badge (looks like a coin) and is about the size of a half dollar coin.

Now before you start wondering whats shady here, he was told to remove the badge from the car. A trade in came in that needed to be prepped for sale (at the dealer). Tags like these can not be on the car once it is sold. They are only supposed to be used for actually FOP members or family members of said officer. In addition to the tag, a tag holder must also carry a wallet card with information on it stating the officers' name and other pertinent information.

Of course this card I do not have. I know that officers are more lenient to cars with the badge (your "one of their own). It means you less likely to get pulled over in the first place given your not doing anything TOO stupid. A speeder going a little to fast may not get pulled over. An obvious drunkard will.

So I got the badge from him and was wondering about using it. Should the occasion arise and I'm being questioned, I can always mention the car was purchased with it on, and I never knew it had to be removed. What can happen here if the cop doesn't buy into this? He just takes the badge? The fine may also increase?

I'm not looking at this as a way to break unnecessary laws even further. Its just nice to know that given a situation where a cop may be 50/50 on pulling you over, but the badge swings him to the "not gonna pull you over side", you can enjoy a nice relaxing drive and a fatter wallet.

Whats the TST consensus?
2slowMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
05GT
The TST IT Ninja

Member #1598

My Ride:
2007 SRT8 Jeep / 2013 Shelby GT500

Keep in there...play dumb if he questions you. Just like you said, bought it with the car, didn't know it had to be removed. I use to have a PBA card and didn't actually know any cops, but it still worked lol.
05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Vypurr
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #58

My Ride:
06' SGM STi / 05' ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to Vypurr
You bought a car and transfered the existing plates to yourself?
Vypurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
.brian.
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3919

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GT View Post
Keep in there...play dumb if he questions you. Just like you said, bought it with the car, didn't know it had to be removed. I use to have a PBA card and didn't actually know any cops, but it still worked lol.
that wouldn't work unless he is using the old plates

edit: vypurr beat me to it :P
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

Send a message via AIM to ThePrimerSuspect
everytime i get pulled over they always ask if im a cop, or who i know. its really worthless if you dont know someone cuz your getting stopped either way. a while back it may have swayed a cop in the "not pull you over" direction, but now they're so easy to come across, that hes still gonna stop you.i heard something about thieves were targeting cars with FOP tags cause the could get away with driving them and not getting stopped because of it. like said already, put it on your car and if your ever stopped, play dumb. but its not gonna keep you from getting stopped. although, i've never gotten a parking ticket since i put mine on.
ThePrimerSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
05GT
The TST IT Ninja

Member #1598

My Ride:

Hey I don't even know for sure wtf it is haha, so I threw in my best guess haha.

So I'm lost then...what does it have to do with plates???
Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
2slowMX5
Tri-State Addict

Member #1351

Plates, as in a FOP plate? That I have NO idea about, sounds like an instant jail sentence to me. Because that plate would have to be linked you YOU and your car. I believe they might be only for the police officer him-her self in question.

Mine kinda looks like this:
Only slightly different. It looks to be made of brass with a very hard layer of clear coat on the front to protect the lettering. Its look to be very durable to stand up to the elements...
Old 07-13-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
2slowMX5
Tri-State Addict

Member #1351

Plates, as in a FOP plate? That I have NO idea about, sounds like an instant jail sentence to me. Because that plate would have to be linked you YOU and your car. I believe they might be only for the police officer him-her self in question.

Mine kinda looks like this:
Only slightly different. It looks to be made of brass with a very hard layer of clear coat on the front to protect the lettering. Its look to be very durable to stand up to the elements... Its also about the same size as the picture I just posted.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

yea, thats what i got. i really think you would be better off not using it. or, make good friends with a cop and if it comes into question just say hes your step brother. thats what my friends do and it really pisses my brother off.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
ScoobyNubieToo!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #862

My Ride:
WRB 2004 WRX Wagon with 07 STI Trans and Longblock inside!

Re-read the post guys....it's the silver dollar sized stick-on emblem you put on the plates. I had one each car but two of the three were stolen off of my car! A good friend of mine is an officer and got me the hookup. It was pretty funny the one time I got pulled over because the cop yelled at me for like 5 straight minutes telling me only immediate family or actual cops are supposed to have the badge I had. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ScoobyNubieToo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 PM   #11
05GT
The TST IT Ninja

Member #1598

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyNubieToo! View Post
Re-read the post guys....it's the silver dollar sized stick-on emblem you put on the plates. I had one each car but two of the three were stolen off of my car! A good friend of mine is an officer and got me the hookup. It was pretty funny the one time I got pulled over because the cop yelled at me for like 5 straight minutes telling me only immediate family or actual cops are supposed to have the badge I had. LOL
OK so thats what I thought. So its not anything about the plates really. So the people in the beginning trying to correct me were wrong.
I love it when people try to correct and are wrong.

So my first post stands, I would play dumb like PrimerSuspect said too.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #12
agoodall
Tri-State Addict

Member #4049

My Ride:
01 Lexus IS300

Send a message via AIM to agoodall
i had one of those it was given to my by a college roommate, i put it on my car, and when i got pulled the cop gave me the 3rd degree about even having the badge, and how i must have thought i could do anything as long as i had it. (got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop at stop sign) and when i explained myself he became even more enraged...so not every cop is lienent towards FOP badges, unless you are the cop or its your pops or brother...good luck to all who use the FOP badge
i find whipping it out as soon as possible gets rid of that gray area that leads to the "friend zone". but thats just my experience. your results may vary
agoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #13
.brian.
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3919

Quote:
OK so thats what I thought. So its not anything about the plates really. So the people in the beginning trying to correct me were wrong.

no, we were not.

if i recall correctly, the FOP badge that the OP is talking about is like a sticker that can be placed on the license plate. how are you going to play dumb? if you have the badge like sticker on your plate, are you going to tell the cop that you forgot that you put it on there or that it was on the car when you bought it? the only way that would work is if the tag was transferred over to his name and still had the FOP badge on it.

and if he is referring to the actual plate itself that says 'fraternal order of police' which he is not, the tag would have been transferred over to him as well. so either way, the tag would have had to of been transferred over to use the 'durrrrr i dun kno' argument, IMO.

Last edited by .brian.; 07-14-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #14
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

it doesnt have to be on the plate. my dad and mom keep theirs in the window so it doesnt get stolen.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #15
ScoobyNubieToo!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #862

My Ride:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
no, we were not.

if i recall correctly, the FOP badge that the OP is talking about is like a sticker that can be placed on the license plate. how are you going to play dumb? if you have the badge like sticker on your plate, are you going to tell the cop that you forgot that you put it on there or that it was on the car when you bought it? the only way that would work is if the tag was transferred over to his name and still had the FOP badge on it.

and if he is referring to the actual plate itself that says 'fraternal order of police' which he is not, the tag would have been transferred over to him as well. so either way, the tag would have had to of been transferred over to use the 'durrrrr i dun kno' argument, IMO.
Ummmm...... OP seems to clearly use the word "badge" here not sticker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slowMX5 View Post
A friend who works at a car dealer gave me a FOP Badge. Its a small round metal badge (looks like a coin) and is about the size of a half dollar coin.

Now before you start wondering whats shady here, he was told to remove the badge from the car.

Of course this card I do not have. I know that officers are more lenient to cars with the badge (your "one of their own).

So I got the badge from him and was wondering about using it. Should the occasion arise and I'm being questioned, I can always mention the car was purchased with it on, and I never knew it had to be removed. What can happen here if the cop doesn't buy into this? He just takes the badge?
I think I'll take a picture of mine today for OP to see if we're talking about the same thing if I have time after doing all around brakes and a fender and bumper swap for someone. My opinion on it is, go ahead put it on and use it. You can't get a fine for having it. Just say you got it from a friends who is a police officer in "pick furthest township from where he is pulling you over". Worst that can happen is he won't cut you a break. If I ever meet you in person at a meet, ask me about how my FOP bad on my plate saved my ass big time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #16
ScoobyNubieToo!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #862

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrimerSuspect View Post
it doesnt have to be on the plate. my dad and mom keep theirs in the window so it doesnt get stolen.
I think I know what you're talking about is it one of those badges that comes on a stand?

Old 07-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #17
.brian.
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3919

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrimerSuspect View Post
oh, well in that case, i guess you could try the "i didn't know" excuse and it might work. i always thought it had to be on the plate. i have never seen them in the window. you learn something new everyday.

Quote:
Ummmm...... OP seems to clearly use the word "badge" here not sticker
ummmm, he calls it a badge then he calls it a tag.

and i beleive i called it a "badge like sticker" in my post, not sticker. it is a badge with adhesive on the back of it.

Last edited by .brian.; 07-14-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:23 AM   #18
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

Quote:
I think I know what you're talking about is it one of those badges that comes on a stand?
exactly. but you can take it off the stand. like the one i have now was on a stand in my dads old car which i bought off him. but i took it off and put it on my plate when i tinted it. so, in the case that we werent related, i could just have said it was already there.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #19
05GT
The TST IT Ninja

Member #1598

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
ummmm, he calls it a badge then he calls it a tag.

and i beleive i called it a "badge like sticker" in my post, not sticker. it is a badge with adhesive on the back of it.

Blah blah blah blah blah.....
Old 07-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #20
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Send a message via AIM to grimm
Mine looks like this

and i have a card.

Cops wave to me now. I wave back
grimm is offline   Reply With Quote