TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #341
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Interesting. They've got one for the GT350 and they're kind of interested in doing a back-to-back with one at autocross... Not class legal, but would be fine for testing at a local event or two You're in CAM... so run what ya brung lol
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #342
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Interesting. They've got one for the GT350 and they're kind of interested in doing a back-to-back with one at autocross... Not class legal, but would be fine for testing at a local event or two You're in CAM... so run what ya brung lol
Maybe you can call them up! I spoke with Jordan and Mike and will be coming up next week to let Mike examine the CAN network on my car, bolting a controller in and making any required firmware changes to the software. I told him I have an autocross on the 13th and he was very excited about getting something done.

He's big on the new Camaro and they have a GT350 there too. I guess the torch has been passed from the Germans to the Americans for racing ability now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #343
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Pretty wild how quickly it's swung, haha. German cars have gotten way too complicated for their own good (lol... German engineering) and while they have good performance they don't have astounding performance or race worthiness now.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #344
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Pretty wild how quickly it's swung, haha. German cars have gotten way too complicated for their own good (lol... German engineering) and while they have good performance they don't have astounding performance or race worthiness now.
Yeah it's really just this generation that got it right.

Mike (the engineer), was saying how excited he was once he saw the tub of the new Camaro. He said that if you took the tub from a 991 Porsche and compared it to the new Camaro, you would see that the identical materials, welding strategies and construction are used between them. Mike was pretty clear about how what GM is doing right now is absolutely insane.

He did mention the GT350 in there too for how capable it is around a track. I told him about my 997 and the mustang gt and he just laughed and said no contest. The new Camaro is capable of taking out GT4s and the 1LE is a second off their GT3.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #345
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Yeah it's really just this generation that got it right.

Mike (the engineer), was saying how excited he was once he saw the tub of the new Camaro. He said that if you took the tub from a 991 Porsche and compared it to the new Camaro, you would see that the identical materials, welding strategies and construction are used between them. Mike was pretty clear about how what GM is doing right now is absolutely insane.

He did mention the GT350 in there too for how capable it is around a track. I told him about my 997 and the mustang gt and he just laughed and said no contest. The new Camaro is capable of taking out GT4s and the 1LE is a second off their GT3.
That is NOT messing around, sheesh.

Also, my BRZ was slowly reeling in the GT4 when we were at the track day... Not impressed, haha. Slightly kidding, for a stock car, the Camaro keeping up with the GT4 is awesome. Gearing is truly awful on the GT4, I think that (and the apparent understeer) really hinders its potential
Old 08-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #346
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
That is NOT messing around, sheesh.

Also, my BRZ was slowly reeling in the GT4 when we were at the track day... Not impressed, haha. Slightly kidding, for a stock car, the Camaro keeping up with the GT4 is awesome. Gearing is truly awful on the GT4, I think that (and the apparent understeer) really hinders its potential
I attribute your BRZ to Ohlins, RE tires and mad driver skillz.

Camaro is a 3rd gear car. Even with 3.73's...just wide gearing. Not much shifting needed.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-01-2017, 11:13 PM   #347
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I hope I can get a ride in it down at DC. Seems like it should be a pretty quick combo. and hopefully we can get back to the track sometime...
Old 08-01-2017, 11:32 PM   #348
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I hope I can get a ride in it down at DC. Seems like it should be a pretty quick combo. and hopefully we can get back to the track sometime...
Agreed! Maybe this fall? I need to get through these runflat tires before winter, haha.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #349
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Agreed! Maybe this fall? I need to get through these runflat tires before winter, haha.
Runflats...

I'm essentially out of PTO, but maybe I can do the fall Shenandoah event since it's on a weekend. If we're going to do something it'll need to be signed up for soon before everything is sold out, lol
Old 08-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #350
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Runflats...

I'm essentially out of PTO, but maybe I can do the fall Shenandoah event since it's on a weekend. If we're going to do something it'll need to be signed up for soon before everything is sold out, lol
Ok I'll let you know asap. $600 is steep this month with the DSC controller expense.

Oh, some tasty caster camber plates just came out for the car. Super tempting.

Between them and the DSC, the car would be a world beater with the wheels, tires and brakes I want.

Need more funds buying a house soon-ish and moving further south so I'll have a garage to store the car in. It may end up becoming a weekend track toy soon at this rate of change haha.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #351
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

It's only money...
Old 08-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #352
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Bought a house closing in September.

Cancelled DSC Sport box to save the money right now

Short shifter has shipped. Requires a modification of the factory SS shift knob but super excited ��

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-09-2017, 11:47 PM   #353
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Awesome! Congrats dude
Old 08-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #354
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Awesome! Congrats dude
Thank you, dude it's got a 1.5 car garage with a wide driveway to make pulling cars in and out easier. Plenty of room to work

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #355
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

congrats man.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #356
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
congrats man.
Thank you!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #357
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

After over 6 months of waiting, the last pre-ordered item on my list has finally arrived: The 1LE short shifter. I won't be able to have this on the car in time for tomorrow's autocross, but will definitely have it installed over the next couple of weeks as it's really a missing piece to the car.

Also, while no real E85 stations exist up here in the DC Metro area, where I'm moving to has A LOT of them. So I'll be eventually getting the Flex Fuel kit for the car too.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #358
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

E85 should be a HUGE power gain... and it'll run cooler too. Glad to see you finally got the short shifter!

See you tomorrow
Old 08-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #359
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
E85 should be a HUGE power gain... and it'll run cooler too. Glad to see you finally got the short shifter!

See you tomorrow
Hell yeah! 25-35rwhp or so with matching torque, plus the ability to determine what percentage in the tank is E and automatically shift fueling tables to match. It's pretty amazing what can be done.

Had a blast today, thank you for coming down (although Zach wasn't as happy that he lost to a GT350 that badly, haha).

We'll definitely have to head to VIR next and get a comparison drive in soon.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 08-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #360
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I'm a little surprised it doesn't have flex-fuel from the factory, GM was ALL about that for a few years, haha.

Good to see you today! You have any videos to upload?

VIR next year & a comparison drive sounds like a good idea. Prepare to be whelmed