TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #2401
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

a swap and an issue that may be related to wiring, causing a CEL, which the owner cant figure out
Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #2402
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
a swap and an issue that may be related to wiring, causing a CEL, which the owner cant figure out
and numerous accidents
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #2403
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
I never got that either. Some people really think because you might invest so much into it means that it's worth a lot.

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #2404
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Send a message via AIM to grimm
so the area of our building i work in lost power. rest of the building is fine. how awesome!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #2405
Zaior
Tri-State Addict

Member #21850

My Ride:
2000 Toyota Solara SLE

Lol so the solara is worth more than something!! Lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
I would never hit a women, but I would punch a bitch in her mouth.
Zaior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #2406
Antonio
Tri-State Addict

Member #13850

My Ride:
2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Send a message via AIM to Antonio
yeah, retirements lol. I gotta get into that. My company matches up to 4.5% salary contribution in a 401k, and also have stock options in Comcast stock where I can buy at 15% below market, and sell in a year at market value or something like that. I really gotta get my butt moving and start taking advantage of those things before they start lowering them.

Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #2407
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

i'm doing 3% into 401k... the truth of the matter is, 401k's suck right now, at least from what i've read.

i'm putting a little chunk of change into a savings account each paycheck. it's one i don't see the balance too as it's an auto draw for my car loan, but they only take out the monthly payment. I'll give it a look in 2.5 years when i reach the half way point on the auto loan and decide whether i want to pay off the car, or keep on saving.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #2408
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

time to ****ing go!!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #2409
piku
Tri-State Addict

Member #12166

My Ride:
335i/M3

401k's aren't stupid. They're a bit of a scam compared to a pension though. Whereas a pension would simply fund you until you die, you have to decide when you will die when you start drawing on your 401k funds. That's not an easy thing to figure out! I've noticed what a lot of old people do is accumulate a lot of debt with reverse mortgages and stuff like that and hope it evens out. Nice but it screws your kids. That's ok, they're greedy bitches anyway.

The good part of 401k is that they are tax deferred as well as company match. The company match is free money - plain and simple, thus if you don't put that much in you're simply throwing away free money. That's not smart. Even if you cash out, the company match more than pays for the fees so again, it's stupid to not do it. The tax deferred I used to think was a scam based on the thinking that future tax rates will be higher. Sure, that's likely to be true, but since you will be taking in far less income at that age (only your 401k) relatively you will be charged a much lower rate since now you would be charged at the high rate on top of the rest of your income. In addition you get to earn interest/market increases on the amount you would have been taxed now whereas the future tax charge is not going to compound like that. Even if we moved to a flat tax I still think it's advantageous.

401k's are scammy in that the management charges are too high. You have limited fund choices that are typically poor performers. Also in that you really need to manage your investments. If you don't gradually move into secure bonds as you age you can really get ****ed as many current old people have. But the market has more than doubled since it originally crashed so those people who crashed from say $4mil to $1mil in their 401k are at least back to $2mil now, assuming they didn't freak out when the market crashed and move everything to bonds. I don't really want to think about it too much so I used something fidelity offers which based on your anticipated retirement date gradually moves your investments to safer choices. Right now I am in all kinds of scary investments but that will taper as I get older. I'm probably getting raped on the fees. I don't understand it enough to know for sure.

Above and beyond your company match the best long term personal investment you can make is to invest into an S&P 500 index fund. Little to no fees, and nothing beats the market. Nothing. 12% on average thus far. I put a couple grand into the S&P 500 a couple years back. As it happened I somehow managed to buy at the LOWEST level during the whole crash. I still don't understand how I pulled that off.

Oh yeah, and buy a house. Buy the cheapest house you can tolerate and pay it off as fast as possible.

But the cardinal rule of stock investments for someone who isn't a day trader is, don't invest money you can't afford to lose and don't invest money you need at a certain time. You have to be able to resist selling at a market low like all the other idiots do. You literally need to never NEED the money, or else you might be forced to sell at a time that isn't good for you.
piku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #2410
piku
Tri-State Addict

Member #12166

My Ride:
335i/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
i'm doing 3% into 401k... the truth of the matter is, 401k's suck right now, at least from what i've read.

i'm putting a little chunk of change into a savings account each paycheck. it's one i don't see the balance too as it's an auto draw for my car loan, but they only take out the monthly payment. I'll give it a look in 2.5 years when i reach the half way point on the auto loan and decide whether i want to pay off the car, or keep on saving.
Is your auto loan rate awesome? I'm guessing it's like 5% or something like that. If your savings account rate is 1% like most are right now, the best destination for all extra money is your highest rate loan - with the exception of whatever buffer you want to have for "I lost my job and I'm defaulting on everything" status.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #2411
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by piku View Post
Is your auto loan rate awesome? I'm guessing it's like 5% or something like that. If your savings account rate is 1% like most are right now, the best destination for all extra money is your highest rate loan - with the exception of whatever buffer you want to have for "I lost my job and I'm defaulting on everything" status.
auto loan is 2.99%, house is... 3.something

as far as 401k, from my understanding with the market right now, 401k ain't doing much. however, definitely get that free company money. g2 matches 50% up to 3%. currently putting away my own 3%, so getting 1.5%... will be going up to 6 or 10% in the future.

not sure what my savings is, i should take a look. but that account is sort of my "hide from me" savings account. I have my "i lost my job" account doing pretty well, and enjoy looking at it, but it's still my main savings at the time for everything. i may look into investing more in the next few years when i double the #
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #2412
piku
Tri-State Addict

Member #12166

My Ride:
335i/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
auto loan is 2.99%, house is... 3.something

as far as 401k, from my understanding with the market right now, 401k ain't doing much. however, definitely get that free company money. g2 matches 50% up to 3%. currently putting away my own 3%, so getting 1.5%... will be going up to 6 or 10% in the future.

not sure what my savings is, i should take a look. but that account is sort of my "hide from me" savings account. I have my "i lost my job" account doing pretty well, and enjoy looking at it, but it's still my main savings at the time for everything. i may look into investing more in the next few years when i double the #
Wow 3 something on the house? That's awesome. You can really take your time paying that back, market investments are sure to do better... It was hard for me to get over the idea that saving money is smarter than paying down debt. I mean when do you stop saving. When is "enough" enough in your oh **** fund? The car loan is pretty good too. That pretty much makes up for the depreciation.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #2413
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

if you are optimistic 401k could be great for us since right now what we contribute will go towards these "low priced" options, "hopefully" within the 20-30 years we have left working they will rise and we can profit. My wife and I have no car payments, pay 500+ on top of our mortgage ever month, and carry no other "balance" exception for my school loan. i'm trying to save some to invest in some stocks. Been watching for a while, still don't know my elbow from my asshole in regards to it all, but i certainly think if you are smart you can make some money in time.

in other news....

Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #2414
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by piku View Post
Wow 3 something on the house? That's awesome. You can really take your time paying that back, market investments are sure to do better... It was hard for me to get over the idea that saving money is smarter than paying down debt. I mean when do you stop saving. When is "enough" enough in your oh **** fund? The car loan is pretty good too. That pretty much makes up for the depreciation.
3.75 i think it is... we got an fha loan, which is now even lower https://www.fha.com

the best part about the loan is that it goes with the house, so in the future when we sell the next buyer get's that interest rate. not entirely sure how that works out, but it should be a good selling point.

we missed paying the extra mortgage payment, "one extra payment a year each year can reduce the total mortgage from 30 years to 23 years"

ultimately, i don't see us here past 10 years... it's a little small for a family. but in either case, i should shoot out an extra mortgage payment...

as for the oh **** fund... who the hell knows. i think we'd be good for 4-6 months. i socked a lot away while i was a contract employee. sadly, when i went f/t i basically lost that amount to save each paycheck.

i'm beginning to wonder why i chose f/t now... their health insurance is embarrassing. the time off is good though. the main reason was to place myself strategically within the company prior to their move. we lost a lot of developers who didnt want to travel to philly. figured i better get hired before someone else does. try to be "the man" before others come in

Last edited by Scapegoat; 05-08-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #2415
Zaior
Tri-State Addict

Member #21850

My Ride:
2000 Toyota Solara SLE

Woot! Post #500 lol

Quote:
Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #2416
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

A little courvoisier, a perdomo habano, and some pellegrino sounds like a good way to end the night.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #2417
Zaior
Tri-State Addict

Member #21850

My Ride:
2000 Toyota Solara SLE

Hello everybody! I have a job interview today at a Mechanic Shop!

Quote:
Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #2418
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Congrats. I'm still waiting to hear about my 2nd job that I interviewed for last week.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #2419
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

http://news.yahoo.com/against-tom-ga...013552291.html

Full retard right here.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #2420
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

....when wearing skinny jeans and deep V shirts goes too far...