TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Exterior, Interior, and Electrical
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
jschristian44
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #17143

My Ride:
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

How to make a switch for underbodys?

My underbody lights have a control box. I want to make a switch so that when I flip the switch the underbodies come on. Currently the only way to make them come on is by my remote control keychain thing or by actually pressing the on button on the control box itself. The problems here is that the keychain battery dies every few months and it's like 7 dollars for the ultra small size, like half AAA battery. The second problem is the control box is mounted inside the engine. I would mount the control box in the interior, but how I have the wires already setup it's going to be a big pain to unravel them all and put them back in their place. I was wondering if anyone made a switch that somehow goes to the control box to flip it on, then mounted that switch inside? If it can be done, I think you would have to take apart the control box and wire the switch up to something inside it, and if anyone knows how to do this with a 3 toggle switch or a 2 toggle switch please let me know!
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Step one, establish power wire
Step two, cut power wire
Step three, wire in switch
Step four, flip switch
Step five, profit?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
jschristian44
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #17143

My Ride:
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

yeah see the problem with that is, there is a power wire and ground wire. if i wire a switch to the power wire , it will just cut power to it on or off, it won't actually turn the control box on. i am pretty sure i need to go inside the box, and wire a switch to the on button controller in there somewhere. i know there are 2 different types of switches. the 2 prong are for on/off of the circuit. the 3 prong have power, acc, and ground wire leads to them. i think i need the 3 prong one but i have no idea what to hook the leads up to.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
So, instead of hooking them up to a permanent source, hook them up to an interrupted source that shuts off when the car is off, and run the switch in-line with them.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
jschristian44
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #17143

My Ride:
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

that is what im going to do, but somehow they still draw power when the car is off so i wake up to a dead battery. i have it hooked up to pigtail fuses in my fuse box. im getting a toggle switch and using the switch as sort of a butt connector between all the pigtail fuses, so that when the car is off, i turn the toggle switch to off so it cuts power when the car is off. (this should work without one, but my car constantly draws power from them somehow even though their hooked up to windshield wiper fuse that is supposed to be switched). that is why im getting a toggle switch to cut power on/off, but i think i need another one to actually turn on the control box and i dont think running one in line with the wires will do that. i think the only way is to take apart the thing. but then again i never did wire up switches because of this very thing, it seems too difficult. pics would be helpful..