TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
3rdGenMr2Girl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9924

My Ride:
1993 Toyota Mr2 Turbo

Send a message via AIM to 3rdGenMr2Girl
Does anyone have a horrible landlord?

My landlord is the biggest piece of s**t in the world. The ceiling was leaking for months and although I had told him multiple times about it, he did nothing to fix it. I already had slipped and fell on my ass because of it. About a month ago a pipe burst above the bathroom and water came through like niagara falls, which caused a good two inches of water on the ground. He fixed the pipe, but not the concave plaster ceiling. After repeatedly calling and bugging him, the ceiling collapsed..when I had just got out of the shower and left the bathroom 30 seconds before. I wish the plaster would have taken my ass out so I could have sued..
Does anyone else have a horrible landlord??? I just want to punch him in the face.

)

Last edited by 3rdGenMr2Girl; 07-29-2009 at 02:14 AM.
3rdGenMr2Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

never had these kinds of issues... you might want to move. his actions are a breach of contract... i'd bolt

hope your ass feels better
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
Omar_MSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2201

My Ride:
MSP

our landlord is cool as a mofo, sorry to hear about yours.

he just installed new windows to our apartment, new sinks, he plans to do more work. everytime we had a concern he's be on it, like our ceiling was collapsing and they fixed everything up the next day and while they were at it they even painted our apartment again just to make it look new again.

sorry to brag, i'd move out if i had a landlord like yours.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Omar_MSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:45 AM   #4
3rdGenMr2Girl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9924

My Ride:
1993 Toyota Mr2 Turbo

it just sucks cause it's so central to my school and work...and it's relatively cheap, allows animals, and you can smoke it in...i guess you get what you pay for huh?
)
Old 11-19-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
DC Hunny5
Tri-State Addict

Member #2807

My Ride:
02 Acura RSX-S = Totaled :( 07 Jeep Compass

Send a message via AIM to DC Hunny5
you can find better.

either that or you need to find a copy of a renters agreement, which states that the landlord is legally responsible to make the apartment fit for a safe living.
having your ceiling falling in is extremely dangerous, and is against many codes.

Quote:
colleen is wild as hell, she'll def give someone the bizz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DC Hunny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
Omar_MSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2201

My Ride:
MSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenMr2Girl View Post
it just sucks cause it's so central to my school and work...and it's relatively cheap, allows animals, and you can smoke it in...i guess you get what you pay for huh?
if you were looking just because its close to school than you fell for the trap. people tend to commute for a reason, they may live an hour away or even 15mins. i'd say, find a better place and ask questions before you get a new place.

thats what i'd do. i been to college, i know i got lucky but i heard what many people have done.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Omar_MSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:
'68 Kaiser M715/ '37 Ford truck/'47 Dodge truck

Call your local officials. There is a good chance that the guy has more than one property and might have violations all over. No reason to live like that.
1937 Ford pick-up
1950 Crosley Farm-o-Road
poolmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Snoozie
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1887

Fortunately, we have an awesome landlady. When we dropped off the rent to the realtor last month he told us that she wants to replace the stove. Its perfectly fine, albeit a little old, but its in perfect working condition. So I guess score for us? lol

"Everyone learns faster on fire." - Alkaline Trio
Snoozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
bjc26
Tri-State Addict

Member #158

My Ride:
'00 Lightning

Send a message via AIM to bjc26
In an apartment I rented in Philly I had the same exact issue with an overhead leak and ceiling failure.

Your best bet is to do the following. First take pictures of the damage for your records. Write a letter to the landlord explaining the damage and make an actual request that he fix it, have this letter delivered certified mail. If he does not respond or fix the problem within a "reasonable" period you can pursue further actions. Sending a certified letter not only covers your own a**, but also lets the landlord know you are serious about the problem.

If he fails to make those repairs in a reasonable period of time then I would put in a call to the City Bureau of Codes Enforcement and request a housing code inspection. At this point be prepared, because this will more than likely piss off the landlord. The bureau will give the landlord a period of time to fix the repair and will come back out for a compliance inspection.

Good luck...

Here is the PA Landlord Tenant Law - http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/landlord-t...enant-law.html
Old 11-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
upperguy
Tri-State Addict

Member #375

Send a message via AIM to upperguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMeanie View Post
Fortunately, we have an awesome landlady. When we dropped off the rent to the realtor last month he told us that she wants to replace the stove. Its perfectly fine, albeit a little old, but its in perfect working condition. So I guess score for us? lol
is the old one electric? I want a cheap one to play around with powdercoating

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If you are a racist, I will attack you with the north.
upperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
Snoozie
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1887

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperguy View Post
is the old one electric? I want a cheap one to play around with powdercoating
Yes it is. I guess I will find out what they are going to do with it for you. haha

Old 11-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
upperguy
Tri-State Addict

Member #375

Send a message via AIM to upperguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMeanie View Post
Yes it is. I guess I will find out what they are going to do with it for you. haha
Haawt

Quote:
If you are a racist, I will attack you with the north.
upperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
robbieloko
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #9734

My Ride:
2000 Mustang Gt Convertible

I used to work for a landlord in philly and some of the places you couldnt imagine how people lived there. And then if people wanted something done he would jack the rent. One time there was an emergency for a burst pipe. and it looked like the ceiling was a sprinkler system.
robbieloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
Xavier
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7219

My Ride:
has that V-Twin rumble

You can move in with me. Though you'd have to share my bed.

But that is why I am in an apartment complex rather than a standalone, so that if there is a problem (which I haven't had any yet) I can go to an office and inform them then maintenance people come out to take care of the issue.

I can't believe you've put up with the ceiling caving in, I'd have had a few choice words with the landlord if something like that happened.
$50 if some one will break nicks fingers. i dont know how many times i can read just how cool he is.
Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #15
SuperMan_is_Bac
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5607

My Ride:
2008 r6

wow.. sorry 2 hear.. my lanlord is banging!! sometimes he forgets that i owe him money .. and jus let me slide. one time i came up to his office to pay rent .. he said "wtf dude?" "u paid me yes2day" .. i said ok and walk out lol
Make him write it on your chest and photograph it. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. He probably just wants to be involved in the creative process of posting pics of your tits on an internet forum for a bunch of guys. And if he does have a problem with that, then he's obviously not the guy for you. And I think scape is.
SuperMan_is_Bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
3rdGenMr2Girl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9924

My Ride:
1993 Toyota Mr2 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc26 View Post
In an apartment I rented in Philly I had the same exact issue with an overhead leak and ceiling failure.

Your best bet is to do the following. First take pictures of the damage for your records. Write a letter to the landlord explaining the damage and make an actual request that he fix it, have this letter delivered certified mail. If he does not respond or fix the problem within a "reasonable" period you can pursue further actions. Sending a certified letter not only covers your own a**, but also lets the landlord know you are serious about the problem.

If he fails to make those repairs in a reasonable period of time then I would put in a call to the City Bureau of Codes Enforcement and request a housing code inspection. At this point be prepared, because this will more than likely piss off the landlord. The bureau will give the landlord a period of time to fix the repair and will come back out for a compliance inspection.

Good luck...

Here is the PA Landlord Tenant Law - http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/landlord-t...enant-law.html
Thanks so much for that info. I actually did mail him a letter prior to the ceiling caving in, and he failed to do anything to stop it. He was supposed to come over yesterday to "look" at the ceiling and never called me back. If nothing happens within the next couple days I'm calling the Bureau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
You can move in with me. Though you'd have to share my bed.

But that is why I am in an apartment complex rather than a standalone, so that if there is a problem (which I haven't had any yet) I can go to an office and inform them then maintenance people come out to take care of the issue.

I can't believe you've put up with the ceiling caving in, I'd have had a few choice words with the landlord if something like that happened.
Yeah the problem was most of the complexes don't allow animals..i have 12 animals in my apartment lol. Oh and I did have some choice words with him. I'm sure he's well aware that I hate his guts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan_is_Bac View Post
wow.. sorry 2 hear.. my lanlord is banging!! sometimes he forgets that i owe him money .. and jus let me slide. one time i came up to his office to pay rent .. he said "wtf dude?" "u paid me yes2day" .. i said ok and walk out lol
Why can't I be this lucky???
)
Old 11-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #17
SuperMan_is_Bac
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5607

My Ride:
2008 r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenMr2Girl View Post
Why can't I be this lucky???
well u can lol. im planing to move out..
Make him write it on your chest and photograph it. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. He probably just wants to be involved in the creative process of posting pics of your tits on an internet forum for a bunch of guys. And if he does have a problem with that, then he's obviously not the guy for you. And I think scape is.
SuperMan_is_Bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #18
3rdGenMr2Girl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9924

My Ride:
1993 Toyota Mr2 Turbo

)
Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #19
~Brian~
Tri-State Addict

Member #1019

My Ride:
2014 Honda Accord V6, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale, 2018 Yamaha R1

Oh damn, that sucks.

Seriously though, pull out a copy of your renters agreement and shove it in his face. He is legally responsible to make prompt repairs for issues this serious. If he doesn't, you can take legal action against him.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #20
Snoozie
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1887

WOW! That really sucks.