TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #81
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Kinda bummed I missed the PCA event. I know people were hitting 95 there... I "only" hit 90 at the NEPA event this weekend.

What Megasquirt are you going to run?
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #82
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Kinda bummed I missed the PCA event. I know people were hitting 95 there... I "only" hit 90 at the NEPA event this weekend.

What Megasquirt are you going to run?
It's an MSlabs MS3. Plug and play and should have all the capabilities I need. Along with accommodating turbos if I ever get the itch. I have a lot of learning to do with it though, hopefully I get it down pat over the winter.

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #83
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
It's an MSlabs MS3. Plug and play and should have all the capabilities I need. Along with accommodating turbos if I ever get the itch. I have a lot of learning to do with it though, hopefully I get it down pat over the winter.
I don't have any experience with the MS3, but feel free to ping me if you have any questions about how you can dial in certain things.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #84
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
I don't have any experience with the MS3, but feel free to ping me if you have any questions about how you can dial in certain things.
Cool thanks. I did some tuning with my evo on evoscan/ecuflash, Im assuming this will be similar. I just need to figure out idle stuff and target A/F ratios for a NA car.

Once I go ITB i have to go alpha tuning. Tuning off the throttle position. Im sure that will take a while.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 09-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #85
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Megasquirt has an ITB mode that blends alpha-n & speed density. I've played with it only to learn it when I got around to doing ITBs, it seems pretty easy to tune. The default mode blending and whatnot seemed to work half-decently. Definitely time consuming though...
Old 09-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #86
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Cool thanks. I did some tuning with my evo on evoscan/ecuflash, Im assuming this will be similar. I just need to figure out idle stuff and target A/F ratios for a NA car.

Once I go ITB i have to go alpha tuning. Tuning off the throttle position. Im sure that will take a while.
Quote:
Megasquirt has an ITB mode that blends alpha-n & speed density. I've played with it only to learn it when I got around to doing ITBs, it seems pretty easy to tune. The default mode blending and whatnot seemed to work half-decently. Definitely time consuming though...
Progress looking good! I envy the seat time that both of you get- I'm sure you guys have a blast.

E30s face the same same ITB tuning problems- I didn't want to go with MS with the M20 to run ITBs which is why I went 24V (you can run airbox and tune w/MAF).
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #87
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
That's how I understand it and it does seem pretty straight forward. Its definitely going to be an uphill battle VVT + ITB + engine swap = lots of time. Maybe its good Pennsylvania winters are long .

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Progress looking good! I envy the seat time that both of you get- I'm sure you guys have a blast.

E30s face the same same ITB tuning problems- I didn't want to go with MS with the M20 to run ITBs which is why I went 24V (you can run airbox and tune w/MAF).
I know I said it before but a miata with big slicks has to be the most fun you can have without breaking the bank.

I know ITBs are a pain, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up using a manifold for a while.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #88
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

I pulled the intake manifold of the VVT engine this weekend. I'm a little nervous about all the blackness in there. I realize It most likely means a PCV issue. I'm nervous there is a bad valve seal or something. I will probably pull the head and get it checked out. Maybe a valve job is in the future. I was debating just throwing the motor in the car and seeing what I got. I still might do that but seems more risk now.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #89
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

I have not been making any kind of progress for a couple months now. Hunting season dictates that I spend my time in the woods this time of year. After some success hunting my season is essentially over so its back to car stuff.

I have been spending money though, stock pilling parts for when I get back at it.

I did manage to get the car running on the megasquirt last weekend. At least I know it works now and can count on it for the engine swap. I am now prioritizing inspecting the VVT engine I have to get it ready for the swap.

I have also located a complete ABS system I hope to get this weekend and swap while the engine is out.

I have a few other things happening with the car atm but will let the for some suspense!

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #90
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Geez, I read that as "swapping the ABS system this weekend" and was thinking that Miatas must be REALLY easy to work on.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #91
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Geez, I read that as "swapping the ABS system this weekend" and was thinking that Miatas must be REALLY easy to work on.
To be honest, it could be done in a weekend.

here is the list:
ABS computer
ABS Controller (the block where all the lines go)
All spindles
Wheel speed sensors + all associated wiring
Wiring harness
Axel shafts (To bad I knocked the rings off when I bough them)

All these things are not difficult just a bunch of tasks to complete. The big question is does it bolt into a non abs car in a CSP legal way.

On an NB the swap is even easier, the controller and computer are one unit. I would use that but it doesnt bolt up in a legal way.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #92
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Sounds like fun

Too long until the next season
Old 12-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #93
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Photo dump time.

Yesterday I received next year wheels. 949 racing 6uls in 15x12! At this point I believe I am one of the few people in the world that possess these things. As you can see they are wide a Sh!t. Im excited. The carparison picture is them next to 275/35-15 hoosiers on 15x10s.

Invigerated by the new wheels I started tearing down the VVT engine. Everything under the valve cover looked okay but needs a more detailed inspection.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #94
Khellen
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5720

My Ride:
05 STi 30R Brotated 400awhp

Send a message via AIM to Khellen
Needs more unicorn vinyl!
2004 Honda S2000
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean
Khellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #95
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khellen View Post
Needs more unicorn vinyl!
Look who rises from the depths.

It sure would be nice to have some unicorns and rainbows .

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #96
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Do it.

Also, good lord those wheels are fat.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #97
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

I pulled the head off of the VVT engine this weekeend. Some carbon build-up but overall looks okay. Cylinder 3 did look wet, Im not sure if it just sat with the valves open or has a valve seal leak. Either way I plan to rebuild the head, springs, valve seals, if I feel ambitious I'll lap the valves.

If anybody has a good method to clean carbon build-up feel free to clue me in.

I also bought this. Another wrecked miata (that makes 5 miatas Ive owned this year ), this one is a 93 automatic with ABS. I plan to swap ABS to the race car which is no small task. Neither is finding a NA ABS car as they are sorta rare.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-11-2017, 11:26 PM   #98
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Simple green or purple power for the carbon. Don't let it sit on the aluminum.

NA ABS systems are über rare, nice
Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #99
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Simple green or purple power for the carbon. Don't let it sit on the aluminum.

NA ABS systems are über rare, nice
Thanks, Ill give simple green a shot tonight.

I made sure I snatched up the ABS car quickly even though it means I need to go through another partout which has become annoying.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 12-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #100
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Ive been busy parting the ABS car out. Looks like I will get all the parts I want for nothing, plus make a little cash.

Unconventional engine pulling.

Hopefully, next week I can finish up the ABS car and get back to building the race car.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-