TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Subaru Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
DaveTheWhiteAsian
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1307

Send a message via AIM to DaveTheWhiteAsian
Misfire

So my car is misfiring when i get to 4500 rpms, every gear, happens everytime. The shop has so far replaced my plugs and coil packs and its still doing it. Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_JOHN
hahaha....I hate you turbo cars....a little bit of this, a llittle bit of that, and all of a sudden i'm the slowest car on the street.
DaveTheWhiteAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
05CGMSTi
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1488

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWhiteAsian
So my car is misfiring when i get to 4500 rpms, every gear, happens everytime. The shop has so far replaced my plugs and coil packs and its still doing it. Any ideas?
What mods, and CEL codes are you getting?
05CGMSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:06 AM   #3
DaveTheWhiteAsian
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1307

just an up pipe, nothing at all and 301 and 302, they did an engine compression test too and 145 psi in cylinder 1 and then like 150 in the rest something around those lines

Quote:
hahaha....I hate you turbo cars....a little bit of this, a llittle bit of that, and all of a sudden i'm the slowest car on the street.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
DaveTheWhiteAsian
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1307

bump

Quote:
Old 03-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

Hmmmmmm. My car has been misfiring lately around the same RPMs. Only happens when it is very wet/humid out and the car is still a little cold. My car has around 100k miles of abuse on it, so I am not surprised.
MuddyREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
DaveTheWhiteAsian
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1307

i have 90k of pure abuse

Quote:
Old 03-16-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
DaveTheWhiteAsian
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1307

any other ideas anyone?

Quote:
Old 03-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
TehWagon
The Calendar Master

Member #34

My Ride:
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon MBP

Send a message via AIM to TehWagon
that's wierd. i've been dealing with misfires for a long time and have researched the crap out of it, but you've covered all the bases so far. and since you listed an uppipe as your only mod, i'm assuming you don't have lightweight flywheel? you bought the car new?

coilpacks, plugs... hmph. when did it start happening? any changes to the intake? maybe a dirty filter?
~Ashley *formerly CarWidow* {TST Orig No. 34 / HP#002}
{{{---MPIBTY

My favorite wagon quote:
Quote:
I needed to both haul stuff and haul arse.
TehWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
DaveTheWhiteAsian
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1307

I didnt buy the car new i just got it a little while ago i should have waited longer and found a different one. I dont think i have the lightweight flywheel im not sure. to my knowledge the cars all stock except for that. im completely puzzled

Quote:
Old 03-16-2006, 11:10 PM   #10
TehWagon
The Calendar Master

Member #34

My Ride:
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon MBP

Send a message via AIM to TehWagon
hm. be interesting to take a look at it at the next meet, does it still have all the heat shields/green brackets etc?

it'd be interesting to take a look and see if there's signs of it having been modded before... that could be your problem...
~Ashley *formerly CarWidow* {TST Orig No. 34 / HP#002}
{{{---MPIBTY

My favorite wagon quote:
Quote:
I needed to both haul stuff and haul arse.
TehWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:16 PM   #11
EjTwentyFiveSTi
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #1422

My Ride:
05 STi

Send a message via AIM to EjTwentyFiveSTi
A misfire can be caused a multitude of items such as tuning (timing, fuel, etc), plugs (fouled) ignition (weak spark), air intake (clogged filter), fuel (clogged filter or poor gas)...etc. The list could go on and on.

Does the misfire feel harsh, light? Are the plugs gapped correctly? Have you tried the copper plugs? Do you have any sort of monitoring equipment, boost, egt, etc? Have you checked all hoses, lines, gaskets?

With just an upipe, the car should be fine, but if you bought it used, im going to guarantee it had other mods.
EjTwentyFiveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:50 AM   #12
DaveTheWhiteAsian
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1307

it definitely had other mods..it had a utec in it too, they just put the stock spark plugs back in and im assuming that theyve checked my hoses and what not theyve done it before. suposedely the guy thats working on it isnt one of those just out of school ASE techs. idk i just want my car back

Quote:
Old 03-17-2006, 12:56 AM   #13
DaveTheWhiteAsian
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1307

and the misfire is very light, i didnt even know it was a misfire until i took it into the shop i thought my turbo was ****ed because it was making crazy winding noises, but those stopped and its actually throwing misfire codes

Quote:
Old 03-17-2006, 01:14 AM   #14
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
in muddys case.

id look at your MAF sensor. my car was doing this same thing when it would get moist out/ rain. Id be driving along, it would start raining, BAM the car would fall on its face. Bad maf sensor, replaced it and bingo
Old 03-17-2006, 02:14 AM   #15
Orbit
Tri-State Addict

Member #32

My Ride:
2002 WRX

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via AIM to Orbit
check your spark plug gap. it should be between 0.028 and 0.031 .
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:28 AM   #16
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
I dunno what it could be, but I know when I heard you leave from the meet last week it didn't sound good. You car makes a wierd winding noise as it drives, I would check that out too.

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #17
DaveTheWhiteAsian
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1307

that was my turbo gasket leaking+a seized idle pulley, all fixed and there using the stock NGK plugs so i dont see a problem with that

Quote:
Old 03-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #18
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh DIRT
in muddys case.

id look at your MAF sensor. my car was doing this same thing when it would get moist out/ rain. Id be driving along, it would start raining, BAM the car would fall on its face. Bad maf sensor, replaced it and bingo
That'd be two bad MAFs in two years.
MuddyREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #19
DaveTheWhiteAsian
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1307

anyone have any other ideas?

Quote:
Old 03-20-2006, 04:00 AM   #20
DaveTheWhiteAsian
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1307

I don't know if this is gonna help or not, but i got my car back from the garage temporarily until another mechanic comes back from vacation to look at it. Anyways, they swapped new plugs and a new o2 sensor in the car and they were saying it was still misfiring but it seems to be more random now. I dont know if that helps at all

Quote: