TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #501
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
It's certainly a lot different. The Evo was $$ (still not M3 money), but it was replaceable. The M3 adds a second dynamic of expensive and irreplaceable if something were to happen to it.

I have been preparing myself for the M3 acquisition in this regard, and I really think it'll be a hermit, but at the end of the day it's a drivers car and needs to be driven. I just wish 98% of the drivers on the road didn't stare at their phones so we didn't have to be in defense mode 24/7 with these cars that we all pour our time, money and a little bit of soul into.
Very much this. You used to have to pay attention at intersections and such. Now you can just cruze down a straight road and find somebody coming at you in your lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
I insure all of my classics by way of agreed-value policies through JC Taylor, so they carry proper coverage thankfully. It's the **** minimum coverage of other drivers that gives me anxiety. When my Subaru got hit I had to fight up and down to get them to cover an OEM body panel, and they never agreed on it so I had to take their **** check and fix it properly myself.

And I agree, the M3 will be a long winded project which I think will naturally allow me to sit on it for a while. I still don't know if the head/block are cracked, and if they are, I'm up creek with no paddle because a used 150K mile motor is $12K now.
What is going on with these cars haha

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #502
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
$12k for a 150k mile stock engine. what. the. f*ck.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #503
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post

What is going on with these cars haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
$12k for a 150k mile stock engine. what. the. f*ck.
Isn't that crazy? IF you can even find a decent, verified good longblock they're pitifully expensive. An S14 needing a rebuild sold for $9K on eBay.

This engine/trans sold for $16K and the mileage was unverified. Still wet from the pressure washer in the picture, estimated mileage was "LOW"

https://www.panjo.com/buy/bmw-e30-m3...te-rare-344533

My roundel anxiety is cured with some OE freshies.

IMG_2487 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2486 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Also spent the afternoon doing a black interior swap on my white iX, I am quite pleased. This car is nice.

Old:

IMG_2481 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

New:

IMG_2485 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2484 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Last edited by blue91lx; 07-06-2018 at 09:01 PM.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #504
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
damn thats nice. I have a nice blue interiored car for sale lol
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #505
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by empera View Post
damn thats nice. I have a nice blue interiored car for sale lol
I support the project purge man! I just finished manual swapping and "refreshing" everything on the white iX in prep to sell it. One more parts car to strip and one more silver iX to repair/sell and it'll just be the red iS and the M3!
Old 07-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #506
empera
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3674

My Ride:
67.5 Roadster, 00 Outback, 93.5 Supra tt, 88 Shiro, Tundra, turbo sc300

Send a message via AIM to empera
i need to build a stable before i bring the horses lol
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:55 PM   #507
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Update in Bimmerland:

Still trying to thin the herd and lessen the projects on my plate.

-After what felt like an eternity, I was finally able to get Linda registered! When I went to transfer the title over, the BMV didn't like the way we signed the date on the title (two years ago), which resulted in me having to get in contact with the PO (who thankfully was a saint) and have him fill out an affidavit.

-I sold my headers because it was going to cost too much $$ to see the project through. Got some ceramic coat thrown on stock manifolds and pulled a nice iX cat section off of a parts car, bolting it all up to an eBay catback until I change gears later on.

-I am making great progress on the white iX. Got the top end refreshed, full manual swap completed, black interior swap completed, and am tying up loose ends on that to get it ready for the next owner! The engine bay has a wrinkle black valve cover and I scrubbed the bay clean, it's really looking good. Sourced some centercaps as well, never should've sold the two sets I had last year. Still have to refinish the wheels as well.

-A (semi) local E30 friend just picked up an iX project of his own (auto car), so he will be taking one of my manual parts cars off of my hands, and a local drifter is purchasing all of the panels from the other parts car to use as spares, so two more shells down soon!

-My nice lach iX (Heidi) back in PA is getting ready to come out of storage to tie up loose ends and get her ready for sale as well. Shifter bushings, seat mechanism, and a window motor and she'll be good to go.

-The M3 interior is off at Stitched right now getting it redone in German Tan Leather which will complete the interior resto. BavRest rebuilt cluster, rebuilt slider radio (with aux added), new crack free dash, recarpeted rear speaker deck, 60K mile center console pieces, OEM M3 shift boot/knob, new heater valve and heater core, custom vinyl paint made to make the door handles match perfectly, etc etc.

-I am piecing together an R134 conversion from all of my spare parts for Linda so she should have cold AC soon. Also working on making a bracket to remount cruise control in the bay. I'm so close to just having the M3 and the iS I can taste it, but there is still quite a bit of labor in between that goal and where I'm at now.

Last edited by blue91lx; 07-30-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:30 PM   #508
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

Did anyone from AZ hit you up about buying one of them? I sent a buddy your way.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:19 PM   #509
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
Did anyone from AZ hit you up about buying one of them? I sent a buddy your way.
Not yet! I'll message you my ads when I finally get these two iXes buttoned up and on the market. They're both nice cars and essentially completely gone through.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #510
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Update! I had time today to work on Linda.

I installed my ceramic coated stock manifolds, iX downpipe, and eBay (IE) catback! Once the exhaust was on I fired the car up, and now that I could hear the engine, I noticed that the head sounded like something was terribly wrong.

Pulled the valve cover to check it out, and there was no oil getting to the cylinder head. I quickly noticed that the asshat (nice guy, good work just old and I'm assuming forgetful) didn't put the rocker shaft "stay" piece in, so the shafts had rotated, cutting the oil feed off to the head. Thankfully nothing was damaged, I had a spare, threw it in, and found a huge vacuum leak in the process.

After all that, this thing runs like a million bucks. It pulls hard, revs great, and is just a riot to drive. So, for the first time, I took her for a two hour cruise down some country roads. Feels so good to have this done.

My electric fan is working great using the aux fan switch, the car feels incredible with these tires, the Z3 rack, ground controls, sways, etc. I'm ecstatic right now, because when you work on a car for so long it almost feels like it'll never be done. Now all I want to do is cruise and enjoy the hard work!

Exhaust sounds stock and opens up just right when you're on it. The head is still loud so I'll have to readjust the valves here soon.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #511
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:

Thats awesome that its finally on the road.

Quote:
Old 08-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #512
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Thats awesome that its finally on the road.
Thanks, man. One step closer to the M3! It feels SO good to drive this thing. Every time my electric fan turns out I get pumped because I wired it to a switch using all factory wiring, matched to the temp of my thermostat. So many small things like that on this car that I get to enjoy every time I drive it.

I hit a local cars and coffee this morning. Photos were taken after all of the tacky buff car bros drove away in their challengers with bro hydro dipping on any removable part of the interior.

IMG_2596 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2592 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
IMG_2593 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 08-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #513
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Man, it looks so great and sounds like so much fun. Congrats!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #514
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Maaaan, she's looking absolutely gorgeous out on the road!
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #515
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Nothing like getting to enjoy a project after all the work. Congrats. Must be a blast on the back roads.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #516
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

So awesome to see!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #517
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:

I need that gray one.

Quote:
Old 08-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #518
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Man, it looks so great and sounds like so much fun. Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
Maaaan, she's looking absolutely gorgeous out on the road!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Nothing like getting to enjoy a project after all the work. Congrats. Must be a blast on the back roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
So awesome to see!
Thanks guys! It's been a hoot to cruise on the back roads.

There is a track day coming up at Mid-Ohio on Labor Day weekend that I'm going to try to make it out to. My buddy just finished up a 3L stroker build for his E30 and wants to come with, so we will see who's faster, an E30 with suspension work and a stock bottom end, or a stock suspension car with half a liter of extra displacement.

Quote:
I need that gray one.
Yes you do! The car was put together very, very nice. It's got a 3.2L 24v motor in it, the whole car was gone over. He's selling it soon, I'll put you in touch when it's on the market
Old 08-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #519
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Nice white iX is almost done, one manual iX parts car sold today, and Linda (red iS) took me to get a new 20v recip saw so I could do this:

Old 08-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #520
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Had an unexpected day off today so I used some of it to sort out a few things on the iS.

1) The valvetrain was very loud, so I pulled the VC again to re lash the valves. I found eccentrics on two rockers that worked themselves loose. Readjusted all of them and tightened them back up. The car fees a lot stronger and the noise is gone.

2) I had some fun with clusters. The iS needed (VDO) odometer gears, and I have two good Motometer clusters that needed gears, along with a bunch of spares. I tried to swap a spare VDO tach in my car (my econo gauge has a broken needle) and the tach was 1000rpms off. Tried different coding plugs, nothing fixed it. Removed the broken needle and will thankfully never have to watch myself get 0mpgs again.

3) I sold my IE shift knob, and still need a shift boot, but the Z3 lever has a thicker section so a stock style boot will not allow a proper push on knob to seat all of the way. Looking for a solution there.

Car is still running great and is a blast to drive.