TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 10:19 PM   #281
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
That is a buttload of power
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #282
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
That is a buttload of power
Yeah, I'll need to get wider wheels and tires to put it all down but brakes first

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #283
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Installing after work

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #284
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Curious to hear how much louder it is!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #285
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Curious to hear how much louder it is!
It's a noticeable increase in induction noise. Sounds good! Exhaust is a little deeper now too. I'll try to grab some videos later this week

Before:

After:

Part throttle is smoother and quicker to rev now, need to go to the dealer for the tune next.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 06-20-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #286
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Got these in the mail today and installed:

Fitment was perfect and everything lit up on the first try. These are going to match so well with the ZL1 1LE 3rd brake light that's on it's way here next.

No more vinyl!!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #287
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Those look great! The intake and the marker lights, I mean.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #288
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Those look great! The intake and the marker lights, I mean.
Thank you!

HP Tuner (Std) arrived today, going to record the base map before I have the dealer reflash the tune for the GM intake, just to see what gets changed.

and here's an outdoor shot of the Diode Dynamics sidemarkers on my Fifty:

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #289
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Yeah those markers look much better!

I'm curious to see what changes with the tune. Likely just some MAF scaling or something for the intake, or maybe a bit more aggressive to take advantage of the extra airflow?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #290
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Yeah those markers look much better!

I'm curious to see what changes with the tune. Likely just some MAF scaling or something for the intake, or maybe a bit more aggressive to take advantage of the extra airflow?
Thank you! I need to get some more outdoor photos, the car was filthy haha.

Me too, supposedly just the MAF scale gets changed but I'm going to post screenshots. HP Tuners has a compare function that'll show all the changes.

Also have an old college friend that tunes GM willing to teach me HP tuners as I go, so I'm pretty excited. Tuning knowledge has always been elusive and over my head.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #291
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

It's great to have that knowledge, but man you're going to open Pandora's box. Take the good with the bad is all I'm going to say, haha
Old 06-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #292
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
It's great to have that knowledge, but man you're going to open Pandora's box. Take the good with the bad is all I'm going to say, haha
Haha, thanks for the advice! Knowing myself, I'll learn how to do the MAF function and let him do the remote tunes

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #293
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

I sold myself short! Thanks to my friend doing screenshot walkthru's in HP Tuner, I've been able to do the following so far:

-Raise idle 50 RPMs for easier takeoff
-Remove cat overtemp protection (dumps fuel at WOT to 10.0a/f to cool cats)
-Removed speed limiter (180 mph is too low!)
-Lowered fan temp setting to 195 degrees across the board
-Disabled CAGS (no more 1-4 skip shift below 19 mph)
-Lowered delay of power enrichment
-Lowered IAT restrictions for hot weather

Will apply all of these to the updated GM map for the cold air intake this Friday.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #294
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

hahaha

Sounds like you're learning the fun stuff :D

Are you worried about the cats getting cooked with track use without the overtemp protection?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #295
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
hahaha

Sounds like you're learning the fun stuff :D

Are you worried about the cats getting cooked with track use without the overtemp protection?
Yeah, and it was surprisingly easy to figure out with his guidance.

More to come once I add the ported manifold and throttle body. May do flex fuel too just to ensure an 11 second run at the drag strip.

Yeah, that is a worry of mine. I'll talk with him about it since this isn't a drag car build (even though my plans are over 500hp)

/
/
/
/
/
Old 06-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #296
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Yeah, and it was surprisingly easy to figure out with his guidance.

More to come once I add the ported manifold and throttle body. May do flex fuel too just to ensure an 11 second run at the drag strip.

Yeah, that is a worry of mine. I'll talk with him about it since this isn't a drag car build (even though my plans are over 500hp)
Modern tuning stuff is really not too complicated for a lot of the stuff that used to be a PITA. To change idle RPM on my GTI and do it successfully is a lot more difficult, and I'm running just about the newest that Megasquirt has, lol. Now imagine messing with OEM ECUs from the '90s... ew!

11 second drag run... Imagine what it would have taken to do that on most of your other cars
Old 06-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #297
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Modern tuning stuff is really not too complicated for a lot of the stuff that used to be a PITA. To change idle RPM on my GTI and do it successfully is a lot more difficult, and I'm running just about the newest that Megasquirt has, lol. Now imagine messing with OEM ECUs from the '90s... ew!

11 second drag run... Imagine what it would have taken to do that on most of your other cars
I used to use a Palm Pilot and a 5-knob AFC on my 1990 Talon. It was brutally pre-historic but effective haha.

Great point! The only car that might have been close was the M235i. The GTI, STi, Evo and DSMs all required larger turbos to get there. The M3 needed a supercharger and the 911 needed a small block LS1.

I'm seeing high 120's-130's on heads and cam builds with this motor. Pretty crazy! (I NEED THOSE BRAKES)

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #298
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Picked up the car from the dealer this morning.

1LE trailing arm had a bolt loose. Replaced and torqued back down, no more squeaks.

Applied the GM tune for the intake, accel is much smoother and a little quicker now. Going to do a map compare to see the changes made.

Replaced the driver side seat cover. TSB for loose stitching around the recline pull handle. Tech alerted me to it a while back, wasn't visible. Decided to go for it to get new leather for free haha.

Custom alignment to GM Track specs being done on Thursday.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #299
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Compared map files in HP Tuner between the factory SS map and the GM CAI map applied at the dealership. The only change to the map is in the MAF Calibration table for Airflow vs. Frequency.

Here are the changes in the factory SS tune and the tune provided by GM for their CAI.

First Stock:

GMPP CAI:

I have the MAF calibration changes saved to an excel, but don't know how to post tables here and also considering this impacts emissions it may not be a good thing to share.

What I can relay is that almost every single cell of the calibration table is changed by a decent amount. The charts may not show it clearly, but GM is expecting this intake to flow more at all Hz values. The axis values are also changed with the CAI having higher axis values.

How that translates to power is up to the dyno and track results. I'll get the car dynoed soon.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 07-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #300
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Glad you're getting the car sorted out I'm hoping the alignment gets this thing dialed in!