TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #841
assault187
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2176

My Ride:
97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder AWD

Send a message via AIM to assault187
This was a kick in the balls... Had a series of unfortunate events within the last year. This particular nightmare started with a slight rattle I noticed when starting the car up one day. While searching around the timing belt side for the cause, I bumped the idle up a bit and suddenly found my rattle... A timing tin bolt had backed out from the timing tin behind the t-belt cover and managed to find its was into the belt. I should have used loc-tite.

I replaced the damaged tensioner pulley, Installed a new timing belt, and started it back up. It was pretty noisy but the compression test wasn't too bad. Only low in one cylinder but the head is coming off anyway for inspection and repair.

In an effort to alleviate some down time with the car, I figured it would be best to pick up a new cylinder head and work with that. I ended up picking up a "Fresh and finished" head from a local shop that ended up costing me more time and money than what it would have just repairing the original head I removed... This opened a can of worms. I found a few issues with the head, one being the brand new valve guides were all different lengths and each one was hacked up. My guess is this was someones idea of how to make OEM stem seals fir with dual springs? Anyways, I had them replaced and a new valve job. The deck surface was freshly machined but that was also re-done.

Also, this thing was pretty dirty throughout

Going back together

I figured since the car was apart, I'd atleast inprove on a couple of things while I was at it.

The head went back on with no issues. New HKS headgasket good to go. JMF also hooked it up with this CNC'd mater cylinder cap!

Got everything back together and I couldn't get the ignition timing to set correctly... After a bit of troubleshooting, I found this... thank god this didn't cause me to waste all the work I had just done!

I found this as well... I've actually found this issue a couple of time before. Hadn't started doing this until I put the crank damper on.

I replaced the sprocket and trigger plate with New OEM pieces. Hopefully that's the end of that. I also found myself moving forward with a couple of other things as well

I still have yet to make the ECU side harness but hopefully I'll get it done and installed soon enough

Next I figured it was time for a Brake Improvement. This was also a bit of a headache. Lots of back and forth with fitment issues and improper assembly

If I remember right, I used 5mm spacers to get the OEM wheels to fit again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

World record holder for Quickest and Fastest 1/4 mile Spyder, 4 cylinder vert, 1st in 10's, 2.0L 4G63 Holset record, Modified Mag December 2010, Self built, self tuned.

Last edited by assault187; 02-01-2016 at 12:35 PM.
assault187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #842
assault187
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2176

My Ride:
97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder AWD

Send a message via AIM to assault187
A short while after getting the car back together and enjoying it on the street again, it broke a front axle..

One week later, the other front axle broke at the joint closest to the knuckle... Both were replaced with new and it's been fine since.

I then received this beauty that I had been waiting months for completion. Full CNC valve cover with cap from Frontline Fabrication. I had him cut the American Flag emblem and hard anodize it black.

Picked up these Fragola -10 fitttings to compliment it

And modified the catch can for the new setup. Just cut off the old -8 fittings and welded on the new -10

I have a few more pieces that I have yet to install on the car so there will be more soon! In the mean time, check out this lamp I made (not 100% complete yet) made from my failed damaged turbo pieces from throughout the years.

It seems I lost quite a few pics when I moved them to photobucket. When I have the time I'll fill in all that's missing so check back soon

World record holder for Quickest and Fastest 1/4 mile Spyder, 4 cylinder vert, 1st in 10's, 2.0L 4G63 Holset record, Modified Mag December 2010, Self built, self tuned.

Last edited by assault187; 02-01-2016 at 01:00 PM.
assault187 is offline   Reply With Quote