TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 02-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #421
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Yeahhhhh some manufacturers do that on Mustang forums too. Kinda makes me really NOT want to spend money with them.
Exactly, same here. I kind of flew in the face of the dyno results and testing just because of how much I hated their marketing. Unfortunately, it's looking more and more likely that the GM CAI causes a power loss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #422
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
#gmengineering

FWIW, there's no intake proven to flow better than stock on the GT350, but lots of people pushing their intakes on the masses, of course.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #423
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
#gmengineering

FWIW, there's no intake proven to flow better than stock on the GT350, but lots of people pushing their intakes on the masses, of course.

Yeah, GM took an aftermarket intake and rebadged it while also providing a tune and warranty coverage. Not a bad deal except they chose the wrong aftermarket intake haha.

Oh I believe that on the GT350. Need high rpm airflow. No way the factory gets that wrong.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #424
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

New Rotofab Dry CAI gets here on Thursday next week. In the meantime, I discovered just how easy it is to turn this car into Flex Fuel compatible!

I need to go into the ECM and make the following changes:

Changes:

*** required ***
- modified Engine -> Fuel -> General -> Air Fuel Ratio -> Stoich AFR-> Flex Fuel AFRs
- modified Engine -> Fuel -> Flex Fuel -> General -> Enabled
- modified Engine -> Fuel -> Flex Fuel -> General -> Fuel Sensor -> Sensor
- modified Engine Diag -> DTC's -> P0178 -> Flexible Fuel Sensor Circuit Low -> checked, Error Mode -> MIL on Second Error
- modified Engine Diag -> DTC's -> P0179 -> Flexible Fuel Sensor Circuit Low -> checked, Error Mode -> MIL on Second Error
- modified Fuel Sys -> Diagnostics -> Flex Fuel -> Sensor Diag -> Enable

*** optional ***
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> Spark Correction -> AFR Correction -> Alcohol -> Gas table
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> Spark Correction -> IAT Spark -> Mult4 -> [1.00 1.00 0.80 0.50 0.20]
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> General -> Cranking/Start -> Cranking -> enhanced for Flex Fuel
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> General -> Cranking/Start -> Alcohol Adder -> timing added for Flex Fuel cold starts

All I need is to get the GM Flex Fuel sensor and wire it up. Currently, the brand I want to use is on backorder for a week due to needing to source PTFE lines.

This sensor with the unlocked GM tables will allow the car to run any percentage of E85 mixed with gasoline without a dyno tune. (A dyno would allow fine tuning but I'm going to need that with headers anyway).

Pretty simple way to gain 25-30rwhp.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #425
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

That's pretty easy... Almost seems too easy, lol
Old 03-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #426
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

http://www.tedbrittchevrolet.net/Veh...-VA/3167719453

Man, now that one is tempting.

Brakes - $2250
Wheels - $1300 for replicas
Tires - $1500
Recaros - $4000
PDR - $priceless since retrofit can't be done
eDif - $priceless since retrofit can’t be done.

A lot to consider with that one. Swap my lights, GM accessories over and swap TB/IM/RF/Tune and i'm ahead of the game. Only thing i'd be losing is the Fifty edition package...

2019 refresh will debut this summer, so it's something I could consider later in the year. Plus discounts may be even deeper then.

/Just thinking outloud.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 03-08-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #427
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

1LE & GT350 are looking like B Street cars for 2019, just saying.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #428
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
1LE & GT350 are looking like B Street cars for 2019, just saying.
Yeah, they are. I'm glad too. It's not fair to compete against the Corvette with essentially the same powertrain in a car that's 400-500 lbs heavier.

I think the 2SS 1LE is the logical route to go since doing the majority of those mods to my car wouldn't be cost effective vs. the trade-in after running numbers. Plus, with the mid-cycle refresh occuring for 2019, there may be additional features or styling changes I'll like on the 2019...or the 2018's will be so deeply discounted it'll just be easier to grab one of them. Can't lose on a deal end of this year.

In the meantime, let's burn off these goodyears and have fun with what I got.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #429
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

In other news -

Rotofab installed:

Rotofab installs easier than the GM/Cold Air Inductions intake. It’s also higher quality (ABS formed plastic vs. silicone hose) with better instructions, hardware, no band-aid fixes at the TB or sensitive directional MAF arrangements. There’s no need to rescale the MAF transfer function either. I really think GM chose the wrong company to make their Performance intake after having both of these. The GM/Cold Air Inductions unit also loses power on a dyno while Rotofab gains power. Case closed.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #430
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Does it feel faster?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #431
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Does it feel faster?
That's a good question. I was able to do GM intake to Stock to Rotofab within a few days of each other.

GM intake smoothed out the throttle vs. stock before I put on the ported TB/IM. The ported IM really woke the car up.

Stock box felt better than the GM intake the more I drove it. Could be heat soak or it could be just a better design. I think the midrange improved and power seemed to be more consistent. The factory MAF scaling points to the stock airbox ingesting a larger volume of air than the GM Performance intake.

Rotofab feels like I added another IM. Car feels more powerful at every RPM while being smooth too. There isn't an inconsistent feel to the power delivery at different RPMs. It feels more like the stock box but magnified as the RPMs climb.

With all this said, dyno's vary. If you take the largest swings we're talking a 17 rwhp loss with the GM intake to a 14 rwhp over stock with the Rotofab. If you're talking conservatively, we're looking at maybe a 8-10 rwhp swing.

The ported TB/IM really pull more power out of the induction unit, so it makes sense for the difference to be a little more pronounced than on a stock engine.

No regrets on making this change.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #432
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Awesome. Sounds very worthwhile.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #433
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Awesome. Sounds very worthwhile.
Yup, we'll find out how worthwhile when the car gets dynoed on May 6th.

Took the car to the dealer for pre-race items to get checked off:

-oil change
-flush rear differential fluid. TSB
-tighten the front suspension down. TSB

Differential groan when cold is now severely reduced but it's still there (will just keep flushing it under warranty).

Front suspension was quiet for the first time in months! Then I went up one driveway at an angle and it's back to clunking. The dealer ordered the new larger nuts for the endlinks under TSB. Car is going back in tomorrow to have that done.

Unfortunately, the damage from the dealer in NoVA is still on the car and I'll need to take it to a sister dealer to have that repaired.

Otherwise, I set the tire pressures and am ready for this weekend's races.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-22-2018, 09:25 PM   #434
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Have fun at the track man!

I'll be driving through Richmond tomorrow & Monday, let me know if you want to meet up.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #435
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Have fun at the track man!

I'll be driving through Richmond tomorrow & Monday, let me know if you want to meet up.
Thank you!

Saturday was a practice day, I got 9 runs in. Sunday, the course was harder for me and I wasn't able to get anywhere with my times.

Here's a video from the Saturday session:
https://youtu.be/R3HjZf7XU_A

I've also managed to get a DSC Controller for the car off of a forum member for a song. He traded his SS 1LE in on a ZL1 1LE and couldn't use it with the DSSV shocks.

How long are you in Richmond for on Monday?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-26-2018, 10:11 PM   #436
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Interested in the DSC feedback
Old 03-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #437
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Interested in the DSC feedback
Gets here USPS today

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #438
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Initial impressions of the DSC Sport controller:

Install:

Easy enough, unplug the factory controller, slide it out, then slide in the DSC and plug it in. However:

The box does not slide in and fit like the GM MRC unit. It won't fit beyond 1/3rd of the way into the tray due to the tray design. The tray will need to be trimmed/dremeled for the width of the DSC controller to completely slide into it. I opted to lay it flat as best I could and use a screw to secure it with the amp on top. Maybe this is a 2SS Bose amp/tray issue that doesn't pop up on other models, I really don't know. More than likely, the same box is used across multiple platforms and just doesn't fit our cars like an OEM designed piece would. The good news is that once connected, it's not going to move around the trunk at all.

Low speed driving:

Every mode is flatter and the chassis doesn't move around over small cracks in the road anymore. The squat and dive from accel and braking is minimized if not gone completely now. Around turns, the vehicle stays a little bit flatter without any moving from hitting seams, cracks, etc. I can drive the car faster than before since it's flatter and more controlled.

High-Speed:

Uh oh. While flat and comfortable 99% of the time, if you hit a large dip or anything that causes the vehicle to go up in the air, expect a pogo effect. I also got the car to exhibit this by going off a drop-off in the pavement from a stop. It crashes almost like a bump stop setting is jacked up a bit too high.

More to come as I autocross the car and get more seat time. Overall, I think this product is an 7/10 due to installation fitment issues and the pogo-effect. It is important to note that I am currently on V2 of the firmware and the V3 offers a bit more on the velocity side with bump stop features. I'll be updating to V3 in the next few days. If that clears up the pogo, then this little box is incredible.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #439
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Interested in the V3 feedback too. V2 sounds about like how they had the V2 tuned on the GT350 setup. Lots of guys tweaked it a bit to suit their needs for that reason.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #440
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Interested in the V3 feedback too. V2 sounds about like how they had the V2 tuned on the GT350 setup. Lots of guys tweaked it a bit to suit their needs for that reason.
Very cool! I have high hopes for this since it can be tuned in a variety of ways. First thing I'm going to do is reset the level of the car and then update the firmware to V3.

It definitely makes the Camaro into an insane handling car, much better than anything else I've owned.

/
/
/
/
/