TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #381
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
It's not that much of a piggy... I've done a lot of research lately, even stock you had nearly as much acceleration as I do and your car is just as light/heavy

You into the new place yet? 10/1 WDCR is calling
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #382
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
It's not that much of a piggy... I've done a lot of research lately, even stock you had nearly as much acceleration as I do and your car is just as light/heavy

You into the new place yet? 10/1 WDCR is calling
Whatcha doing all that research for?

Unfortunately not, been working with the mortgage processor the last two weeks. We finally have our closing date set as of today.

Ahh, October 1st I will be in a friend's wedding. My track time for this season may be over with the move, my own wedding and honeymoon all coming up in the next two months.

I've been window shopping for the car (like always) and know it needs better/wider rubber which = wheels and after it has that, it'll probably bring out the front brakes needing an upgrade too. $5k or so and need to get the calipers painted to match.

With the house needing cosmetic updates and furniture, it may be awhile before I get this stuff done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #383
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
Whatcha doing all that research for?

Unfortunately not, been working with the mortgage processor the last two weeks. We finally have our closing date set as of today.

Ahh, October 1st I will be in a friend's wedding. My track time for this season may be over with the move, my own wedding and honeymoon all coming up in the next two months.

I've been window shopping for the car (like always) and know it needs better/wider rubber which = wheels and after it has that, it'll probably bring out the front brakes needing an upgrade too. $5k or so and need to get the calipers painted to match.

With the house needing cosmetic updates and furniture, it may be awhile before I get this stuff done.
Writing letters to get cars classed properly in the class they belong in

Good luck with the move! Wedding and all that jazz is priority over racing, unfortunately for the rest of us

Buying OEM 1LE wheels or going aftermarket to 1LE specs?
Old 09-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #384
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Writing letters to get cars classed properly in the class they belong in

Good luck with the move! Wedding and all that jazz is priority over racing, unfortunately for the rest of us

Buying OEM 1LE wheels or going aftermarket to 1LE specs?
Where do you think they should be classified? I've seen a letter for the 1LE guys asking to be bumped to BS.

Thank you!

Not sure yet...hoping for a used set once rarity decreases and prices go down

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #385
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Ahhh....Richmond region has an autocross October 28th at VMP...now that's something that is feasible....

/
/
/
/
/
Old 09-22-2017, 11:40 PM   #386
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Where do you think they should be classified? I've seen a letter for the 1LE guys asking to be bumped to BS.

Thank you!

Not sure yet...hoping for a used set once rarity decreases and prices go down
BS is where they belong, pace wise. Unless I find some magic pace with my upcoming mods anyway...

Are there many aftermarket options to fit over the bigger brakes?

Quote:
Ahhh....Richmond region has an autocross October 28th at VMP...now that's something that is feasible....
Have fun
Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #387
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
BS is where they belong, pace wise. Unless I find some magic pace with my upcoming mods anyway...

Are there many aftermarket options to fit over the bigger brakes?

Have fun
Find the magic! Beat physics! Haha

Yeah, just need a 19" wheel on up. 18's won't fit anymore with the 6-pistons.

Thank you

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #388
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Ford's gotta step up their game on the weight savings! Interesting that the GT350 and 1LE are essentially the same weight, even with all of the crazy stuff GM did to save weight on the underside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNg-BdwFjLk
Old 10-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #389
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Ford's gotta step up their game on the weight savings! Interesting that the GT350 and 1LE are essentially the same weight, even with all of the crazy stuff GM did to save weight on the underside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNg-BdwFjLk
Fun video but disagree with the ending statement. How is lightweight aluminum bad?

Ford has a lot of room for improvement in usage of high strength steel and aluminum to cut down on weight - I'm surprised the GT350R didn't use more.

Historically, this is pretty much the norm as far back as I can remember. The GM product offers more performance off the showroom floor, better chassis, better dynamics, but it costs a bit more. The Mustang has always been a little more of something for everyone and the cost leader of the segment resulting in many more sales.

I think Everyday Driver sums it up nicely that with the latest generation of Mustang and Camaro, the weaknesses are all gone so it now just comes down to which one you prefer. We no longer have to compare a single valve head modular V8 vs. an LS1, a T-5 transmission or a 4 speed auto, a 4 link rear suspension or a 3 link, etc.

Great time to be alive!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #390
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Oh and I've officially moved south to Richmond now and have my own garage again! It's a really tight fit with the wide Camaro, but I'm looking forward to turning it into a decent shop to tinker in. I've also signed up for my first Richmond autocross with the car on the 29th. There are about 30 people running and only one other car in the CAM class.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #391
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Fun video but disagree with the ending statement. How is lightweight aluminum bad?

Ford has a lot of room for improvement in usage of high strength steel and aluminum to cut down on weight - I'm surprised the GT350R didn't use more.

Historically, this is pretty much the norm as far back as I can remember. The GM product offers more performance off the showroom floor, better chassis, better dynamics, but it costs a bit more. The Mustang has always been a little more of something for everyone and the cost leader of the segment resulting in many more sales.

I think Everyday Driver sums it up nicely that with the latest generation of Mustang and Camaro, the weaknesses are all gone so it now just comes down to which one you prefer. We no longer have to compare a single valve head modular V8 vs. an LS1, a T-5 transmission or a 4 speed auto, a 4 link rear suspension or a 3 link, etc.

Great time to be alive!
Yeah, lightweight aluminum is good. I do think Ford could spend more time/effort on the light weighting, as I said. GM is definitely the leader in that. Unfortunately that means their trucks aren't exactly the stiffest things out there...

I do agree that it's pretty awesome that you can flip a coin and end up with a good car either way.

Quote:
Oh and I've officially moved south to Richmond now and have my own garage again! It's a really tight fit with the wide Camaro, but I'm looking forward to turning it into a decent shop to tinker in. I've also signed up for my first Richmond autocross with the car on the 29th. There are about 30 people running and only one other car in the CAM class.
Have fun!

Congrats on the new digs
Old 10-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #392
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Yeah, lightweight aluminum is good. I do think Ford could spend more time/effort on the light weighting, as I said. GM is definitely the leader in that. Unfortunately that means their trucks aren't exactly the stiffest things out there...

I do agree that it's pretty awesome that you can flip a coin and end up with a good car either way.

Have fun!

Congrats on the new digs
Yeah, these are the salad days for internal combustion engined vehicles. Glad we got our V8's before everything requires a plug

Thank you! Been so busy with the house

/
/
/
/
/
Old 10-29-2017, 10:19 PM   #393
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Autocross this morning rained and rained and rained so I skipped it. The car has traction issues as is in the dry, so decided to work on the house instead of sliding around and not competing.

I do have the action cam all setup and ready to go...

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #394
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Awhile back, I purchased the race air filter for the GM cold air kit. This is a different filter from what GM includes with their CAI kit. It’s offered as an “upgrade” for drag racing use only. The lack of filtration material has me thinking it’ll be good for dyno or drag use but I’m not currently going to put it on my daily driver. I’ve never seen a filter this transparent.

It does make me love Team Camaro that much more that they had the guts to release this to the public haha.

Here it is:

Here's why it's probably rated for Drag Racing only and not for street driving:

This is not an exaggeration...this filter is nearly see-through.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #395
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

That's pretty funny. I'm shocked they'd release that too, at least under any sort of OEM performance branch.

Does it make more power?

Also, we still need to do a back to back test of our cars sometime. I'll be at VIR in March I think, I can probably swing by your new locale (I'll be driving through anyway)

Last edited by DocWalt; 12-28-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:20 PM   #396
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
That's pretty funny. I'm shocked they'd release that too, at least under any sort of OEM performance branch.

Does it make more power?

Also, we still need to do a back to back test of our cars sometime. I'll be at VIR in March I think, I can probably swing by your new locale (I'll be driving through anyway)
Me too. Pictures don't do the transparency justice haha.

GM claims it flows 51% more air than the regular dry filter that comes with the kit. Overall, I doubt the intake or filter show up on the dyno.

Yes we do! I'll be here...the Camaro is sitting out the winter in the garage on it's summer tires.

I recently learned that my car is one of only 699 Camaros built with the manual transmission and the 50th package. It's caused me to reconsider modding it and instead to just get a car cover and start treating it more as a rarity.

May jump back to a GTI for autocross/track events. A lot slower and more special (FWD!) but i wouldn't care as much about beating on it.

We'll see.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 12-30-2017, 02:02 AM   #397
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

^^ you are all over the place with car thoughts, eh?

I can't argue against a GTI beater as that's what I've been tooling around in all winter. It's so nice having a car that I don't care TOO much about, so I totally understand.

I'd be shocked if the filter makes much difference without going to a nutty engine build.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #398
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
^^ you are all over the place with car thoughts, eh?

I can't argue against a GTI beater as that's what I've been tooling around in all winter. It's so nice having a car that I don't care TOO much about, so I totally understand.

I'd be shocked if the filter makes much difference without going to a nutty engine build.
The new MK7.5 GTI has my eye, but used values on the MK7 are extremely attractive. MK6 GTI used values are ridiculous too.

Of course, putting all season tires on the Camaro is the cheapest way to go.

Yeah, I'm pretty much convinced at this point that the cold air kit from GM provides no performance gain and is simply an appearance upgrade under the hood. If the car wasn't 1 of 699, I'd probably replace it and do a build similar to Seven's.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 01-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #399
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Didn't you have winter wheels last year for the Camaro?

All of the cold-air intakes on the GT350 do nothing at all. They don't do a HUGE amount on the regular Coyote engines either...
Old 01-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #400
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Didn't you have winter wheels last year for the Camaro?

All of the cold-air intakes on the GT350 do nothing at all. They don't do a HUGE amount on the regular Coyote engines either...
Yeah, I did. I sold them off thinking I would get more track time this past summer and burn through the stockers. Oops.

/
/
/
/
/