TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9456

My Ride:
03 GTI w/ F4h-T 250-260hp goal

Send a message via AIM to Elliott18t
Review: 2010 Honda Civic Si HFP not fast, is curious

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/29/2...iew-road-test/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Lieberman, autoblog
There was a time was when any serious discussion of "hot hatches" – small, lightweight economy cars pumped full of go-fast parts and body modifications of dubious taste – always included the Honda Civic Si. Back in the day, the D16Z6-engined Si would routinely do battle against the Volkswagen GTI and Nissan Sentra SE-R for import tuner supremacy. Times, however, change.

These days, the battle for hot hatch supremacy starts and essentially ends with turbocharged beasties like the Mitsubishi Evolution and Subaru WRX/STI, with a dash of MazdaSpeed3 or Mini Cooper S thrown in for flavor. The Sentra SE-R is little more than a sad shell of its former self (a fact we find odd considering just how much cache Nissan has built up for the brand with its exotic-destroying Godzilla GT-R) and the Volkswagen GTI has evolved into an entry-level Audi – lots of interior and NVH refinement, but lacking the kicked-in-the-you-know-where power necessary to keep up with the all-wheel-drive Japanese kids. But what about the Civic Si? Where does it fit into the import tuner lexicon, especially when loaded up with lots of Honda Factory Performance (HFP) parts? Make the jump as we attempt to find out.

The four-door Civic is more conservatively shaped than the two-door version, a double-wedge profile that we still find intriguing late into its life-cycle. The sedan, however, is sort of the BMW 3 Series of the small C-segment: Smartly shaped and aerodynamically efficient, but now getting on a bit. Honda has tried to address some of this lacklusterness by tricking out this particular Si with lots of HFP add-ons. While these supposed aero-mods might actually enhance performance, the front splitter seems only there to scrape up against gas station driveways.

Meanwhile, the rear wing is a total show piece, as a factory Civic Si is hardly capable of speeds where this sort of downforce is warranted. Worst of all, fart-can exhausts should never, ever come from the factory and we think this is a particularly shameful way for Honda to make $40. It's not that we find the Si HFP ugly (we think the paint scheme is great), but it's sending out the wrong sort of message, the sort that Jesse's Jetta sent out in the original Fast and the Furious movie. Almost a desperate, "Me too, me too..."

Inside is the now familiar Star Trek dashboard affair that people love or hate. We're (naturally) split. On the plus side, we really like the simplified layout where the tachometer is front and center, just like it should be in a performance-oriented car – though it does make you wonder why it occupies that place of honor in the more pedestrian Civic models that make up the overwhelming majority of sales. Still, fans of VTEC will appreciate knowing exactly when cam-phasing is set to take place.

But on the demerit side, it's easy to overlook the speedometer and the fuel gauge, two readouts most folks probably use more often than a tachometer. In fact, so hidden was the bar-graph fuel meter that we nearly ran out, inadvertently running the tank down to one bar before we rolled into a gas station on fumes. Also, the speedo is digital only. We wish there were a duplicate analog gauge, because if you turn the headlights on during the daytime, the speedometer fades to near invisibility without monkeying around with the dimmer settings. Speaking of invisible, the frustrating-to-use, aftermarket-looking navigation system is exactly that. Though, if you're into the last decade's aesthetic, we suppose it's a neat time capsule piece.

The single best part of the Si's interior is its six-speed shifter. More specifically, its silken, precise action. The shift knob itself is a HFP part, wrapped in cow and a little small for our taste. Also, the leather (or is that leather-ette?) shroud wasn't attached in our tester, and as far as we can tell, it isn't supposed to be attached. The resulting free-floating piece of material therefore feels cheap and annoying. But Honda could've covered the shifter in cactus and we really wouldn't have cared – the movement is that good. Say whatever you want about Honda's recent U.S. efforts, the one thing that's simply undeniable is how consistently wonderful their manual transmissions feel. Mazda and Porsche come close, but at the end of the day, Hondas just swap gears better than anyone else. And the clutch action is just as good.

We also liked the leather-wrapped HFP steering wheel, and in terms of the HFP seats, we were split. The material was properly racy and the bolstering good – especially the upper back-bolsters – but the seats were a little too squishy (to one of us) for true pocket rocket duty.

After giving our blue four-door Si tester the once over, and especially after looking at the headline-font-sized "VTEC/DOHC" graphics on the rear doors, a very wise lady said, "My initial reaction to lettering on the side of a car is that it's stuffing its pants." A keen observation, perhaps, especially when you look at the Civic Si's engine through 2010-eyes. Rated at 197 horsepower and 139 pound-feet of torque, the mill is a torqueless wonder. Consider the Subaru WRX for a moment, and never mind about its 265 horsepower. Even with a plastic intake manifold, the Rexer managers to lay 244 pound-feet of torque down to all four wheels. This Civic's got barely half that going to just the fronts. The good news? You need torque to have torque-steer.

There is, however, plenty of plain old steer. Honda has done a commendable job of equipping its hottest Civic with a smart suspension, one that's able to take what little power there is and make the most of it. Additionally, the age old question of "Fast car slow or slow car fast," receives a pretty good answer from the Civic Si. Compared to its competition, at least, you can essentially drive the thing flat-out at almost all times. Not only will it take you longer to get into extra-legal speeds, but when you are cooking along, you're in total control of the kitchen.

But again, cooking alone takes some effort, as just getting up to 45 mph from a standstill takes all the cam-phasing the little VTEC can muster. That said, the little motor spinning off into the stratosphere sounds wonderful. We can't tell you how many times we were startled to finagle a perfect launch, roughly slam our way through the gears through fourth only to look down in amazement that we hadn't yet cracked 50 mph. Frankly, it's sort of an odd sensation.

But back to the handling, where we need to stress one particular point. In some ways the handling is very good, meaning that when you head straight out of the box and onto your favorite road, the Civic Si will delight you. Turn-in is sharp, the steering is fairly communicative and the damping is crisp with a near-perfect amount of rebound across uneven stuff. But there's a catch: Enthusiasts out there who will appreciate the sort of sharp reflexes offered up by the Si are likely to be the exact people that can't get over the power deficit. They'll demand more power. And while we're certain the aftermarket is brimming with solutions (hi Mugen!), a large power infusion would probably upset the Civic's balance. Evil, steering wheel-ripping torque steer would doubtlessly be an issue, and any more weight over the front wheels is not what the performance doctor ordered. The 2010 Civic Si is and will remain a slow car, which is probably not what its target customer wants.

At the end of the day, the base $22,255 Civic Si is a good driver's car. But it's severely down on power to its competition and all the HFP parts don't help the equation – especially at an as-tested price of $25,165. For that kind of money, you could take your pick from an entire fleet of more capable pocket rockets. The WRX starts at $24,995, and with options and destination will cost you more than the Honda, but it's so much more car. More to the point, perhaps, a Mini Cooper S starts at $23,000 and offers as much handling with more grunt (due to its lower weight, not power).

Essentially, Honda is going after the kind of customer that likes the idea of customized and tuned cars, but one who doesn't feel like doing any work. Or market research. We're guessing there's not too many of them, which is why you don't see a Civic Si all that often, especially one loaded with HFP parts like our tester. Maybe in the next generation. Or maybe next time, Honda will finally give us Yanks the opportunity to sample the buffer Civic Type-R, the Honda us fast-driving types actually crave. Until then, with the retirement of the S2000 and the perpetual cancellation of any sort of NSX-successor, the Civic Si remains Honda's sole performance product. Not only don't we think it's good enough, we doubt Soichiro Honda, the company's founder, would either.

ahahahaha

::waits for santosh to chime in::

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

TST's Dub Cult

Last edited by Elliott18t; 07-29-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Forgot link to article.
Elliott18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

Wow... You're another VW hater just hating on Honda....

I'll tell you what... I test drove the 09 GTI and I've driven my friends slow stock civic SI.. Hell I even beat both of them many times in my del sol..

Both cars are slow.... at least the civic is in the lower 20's and not 30's like the GTI
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9456

My Ride:

gtis start at 23k bud.

http://www.vw.com/gti/en/us/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

TST's Dub Cult
Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

Yea si's are alot more money than a gti the SI I owned was almost 30k.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
DannyGSX
Tri-State Addict

Member #15600

My Ride:
2G AWD TURBO DSM(sold)

Send a message via AIM to DannyGSX
lol funny article. But, competes with GTI and SE-R for tuner car supremacy? 1) I guess they are not talking about speed 2)Idk about anyone elses area but I'm pretty sure I never see modded SE-R's.

The first time I drove in an Si(2006 2-door), I was expecting it to at least have some balls, but they really are not impressive at all. And now they are saying it'll be even slower?? Ouch. And I think the 4-door Si is a huge waste of car.

Last edited by DannyGSX; 07-29-2010 at 01:13 PM.
DannyGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott18t View Post
gtis start at 23k bud.

http://www.vw.com/gti/en/us/
Ive never seen one at a dealership for anything close to that.... I test drove a 2010 not too long ago with NO HIDS and NOTHING and it was like 29k.... slow as hell too...
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9456

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyGSX View Post
lol funny article. But, competes with GTI and SE-R for tuner car supremacy? 1) I guess they are not talking about speed 2)Idk about anyone elses area but I'm pretty sure I never see modded SE-R's.

The first time I drove in an Si(2006 2-door), I was expecting it to at least have some balls, but they really not impressive at all. And now they are saying it'll be even slower?? Ouch. And I think the 4-door Si is a huge waste of car.
i see a moded SE-R once in a blue mood. I was hoping for some fun when I was driving a friends Modded Si when I hit vtec.... to no avail.. I was dissapoint.

TST's Dub Cult
Old 07-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9456

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr-4-Life View Post
Ive never seen one at a dealership for anything close to that.... I test drove a 2010 not too long ago with NO HIDS and NOTHING and it was like 29k.... slow as hell too...

because both cars in article would be a base price... which is 23k msrp. Now dealers probably wont have a dead base one on the lot because they are trying to make money lol.. or at least wont show you.

TST's Dub Cult
Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

Dealers make no money on new vw's the markup is like $400.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9456

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
yeah, I know new cars dont make much. Im jsut saying I dont think I would see a base model very often either.

TST's Dub Cult
Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

Nobody wants a base model
Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
MattBear
Tri-State Addict

Member #16897

My Ride:
1995 Jetta VR6

Quote:
how would you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott18t View Post
yeah, I know new cars dont make much. Im jsut saying I dont think I would see a base model very often either.
ahem, i have a base model.

For what its worth, the Civic Si is a poor excuse of a performance trim. It has no torque, which is essential. however, it is fairly sharp looking. but that dash is GODAWFUL.

The GTI isnt a race car, its not a performance model.... its a sport hatch.
it has 200 hp, which is adequate. it isnt fast, but it is damn quick for what it is. and also, with the 6spd dsg, its impressive as anything. shifts faster than anybody physically can

Even my 5spd manual GTI would dust a Si, and its only a 1.8t which ARE NOT fast. (but fun)

and they will start around 23,000 for a base 2.0t w/ a 6spd.

I'd know...
MattBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9456

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBear View Post
ahem, i have a base model.
oh i know matt lol.

TST's Dub Cult
Old 07-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #14
Nick Merrone
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #10807

My Ride:
c18det hatch

Send a message via AIM to Nick Merrone
I like nissans.
Nick Merrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

How would I know because I do the markup is around 4 to 500 depending on the model, that is why be never has rebates there is no redicilous mark up on Volkswagen cars.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

So it just confrimed that Honda is overrated. Didn't see that coming. our HHR SS will outrun, out handle it, and costs about the same... and its a freaking school bus!

Last edited by jpalamar; 07-29-2010 at 01:51 PM.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #17
BigWhiteTodd
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8795

My Ride:
01 camaro

Send a message via AIM to BigWhiteTodd
haha people are just now realizing this car is slow it runs high 14's low 15's stock far from fast.
BigWhiteTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
MattBear
Tri-State Addict

Member #16897

My Ride:
1995 Jetta VR6

Quote:
How would I know because I do the markup is around 4 to 500 depending on the model, that is why be never has rebates there is no redicilous mark up on Volkswagen cars.
word. i see all that stuff at my dealer, just checking ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
So it just confrimed that Honda is overrated. Didn't see that coming. our HHR SS will outrun, out handle it, and costs about the same... and its a freaking school bus!
well, did you expect anything else? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWhiteTodd View Post
haha people are just now realizing this car is slow it runs high 14's low 15's stock far from fast.
DING. VTEC is NOT FOR PERFORMANCE. IT IS FOR ECONOMY
MattBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #19
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBear View Post
well, did you expect anything else? lol
I actually did expect more.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #20
BigWhiteTodd
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8795

My Ride:
01 camaro

Send a message via AIM to BigWhiteTodd
I know right I love how people are suprized a economy car is slow, the si is to get younger people to buy it.
BigWhiteTodd is offline   Reply With Quote