TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Brandon Group
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #621
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
This is how I feel about miatas at this point. I still enjoy them but man sometimes I wish there was some go when I press the pedal.
Couldn't agree more. I got more "go when you hit the pedal stuff today" for the Scoob. Someone local had brand new TGV deletes and a VF48 turbo with 4500 miles on it for a good price, how can you say no to that?

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #622
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, v8 Touareg

Sweet Im interested to hear what you think when the forester is done.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #623
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Sweet Im interested to hear what you think when the forester is done.
I will! The engine stuff will be a little while as I'm not exactly excited to pull the intake and turbo, and most of that stuff has to be done at the same time. TMIC, SAP delete (my valves failed), up pipe, downpipe, engine mounts, etc. It's not going to be fun.

I did, however, get 04 STI OEM Springs and some WRX AGX struts, so I'll retain stock suspension travel, all while lowering the car a pretty significant amount. I'm sure my camber curve will be terrible but I'm not too worried about it (also likely will have similar dynamic toe issues). From what I've read the "roll center kit" does little to correct this, but it is available if I deem it necessary.

I ended up getting wheel bearings, control arm bushings and a bunch of other stuff that should really make the car feel fresh. I think the STI steering rack will make a pretty significant difference in feel, too.

Stealth edit:

I installed the 2015 TMIC and bypass valve, along with a "Group N" pitch stop mount. Turns out the pitch stop mount was the same damn thing as my stock unit, but had "STi" stamped into it.

The interwebz said "it'd be easy and the TMIC bolts right up", so I ordered an intercooler bracket off of the '15 STI to make for an easy install along with new couplers, etc. I ended up having to fab up a bracket out of that new piece that didn't fit, modify my new couplers, an AC line and a wastegate line. It's the biggest stock Subaru TMIC and I got it for über cheap so it's all good.

Please appreciate the "160K miles and no engine cover" engine glamour shot below.

Last edited by blue91lx; 02-22-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #624
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

She's back from alignment and drives like a dream on this new setup.

IMG_2755 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 02-28-2019, 11:48 PM   #625
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
On my BRZ the "Group N" mounts looked identical to stock, but were definitely stiffer.

BMW lookin' good
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #626
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
On my BRZ the "Group N" mounts looked identical to stock, but were definitely stiffer.

BMW lookin' good
Thanks! I've been cruising it around- it's a treat to drive. That's interesting. The rubber on the Group N unit didn't feel stiffer either to the touch, but it's likely a different compound. I *think* it made a difference?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #627
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I've been messing with my new Torq 10FX and having a blast!

The windshield on Linda was so pitted and scratched with water marks you could hardly see through it in most conditions. I took to it with invisible glass, a razor blade, steel wool, clay, some pretty aggressive compound with a orange hex logic pad, and then finally sealed it with Jetseal to fight against further contamination, water spots, etc.

The results were awesome! So awesome that I did the windshield on the white car as well, and clayed the rest of the glass. I'm now obsessed with glass cleaning.

This is how bad it was pitted:

This was after the full process was completed and the sealant cured and was buffed off.

The white iX has half the miles so I didn't have to do nearly as much work to get a great result:

Rear glass after clay:

And Linda has some failing clear coat on the roof and trunk lid, so I am working out a solution to make it look as good as I can. I started by taking a razor blade and getting all of the flaking clear removed. I'm going to wet sand the surrounding clear to minimize the step and am going to polish and seal the base coat. It should really help overall appearance, even though it won't be perfect. Also, it looks like this paint has been obliterated by car washes for 30 years, so it's going to be a fun experiment to get all of the scratches/swirls out and seal it up.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #628
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Man! The windshield polishing is awesome. I need to give that a try if you have any tips. I'd always done plain old cerium oxide, but the GTI windshield is pitted like yours was and it wasn't very effective.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #629
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Man! The windshield polishing is awesome. I need to give that a try if you have any tips. I'd always done plain old cerium oxide, but the GTI windshield is pitted like yours was and it wasn't very effective.
I used a DA with a 6" medium cutting pad (hex logic orange), and used V32 heavy cutting polish from Chemcial Guys, and also used their Jetseal product for sealant. On one application of cutting polish I ran 4-5 vertical and horizontal patterns over half the windshield, and I ended up with 3-4 applications per side, as mine was extremely pitted. I smoothed out the product on a low speed first and then hit it with the highest setting on the DA.

It took way longer than I originally expected on the red car, but glass is hard I think someone ran this thing with dead wipers back in the day, too, as there were heavy wiper scratches in addition to the pitting. It definitely didn't get all of it out, but with the cut/polish/seal it is a world of a difference, and I get to keep my OEM BMW logo on the windshield.

Last edited by blue91lx; 03-18-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #630
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

That glass polishing is amazing. I'd love to do that for my truck.