TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Exterior, Interior, and Electrical
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 07-31-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
naDintheHat
Tri-State Addict

Member #2360

My Ride:
94 GTI - Br0ke, 98 GTI - Stock..

Send a message via AIM to naDintheHat
HELP **Wiring nightmare**, looking for advice.

So today i spent all day attempting to correct the wiring in my brother's car, headlight wiring.

So he just picked up a 96 GTI. The previous owner (might have been before him) () wired up the euro headlights and side markers. The turn signals were also rewired, this is the main issue. I found the 3 wires for the turns that i needed to connect properly, i did so and when i re-connect the neg term on the battery the damn hazards come on and don't turn off. I was comparing the wiring to the wiring on my GTI and he has additional wires running from one sidemarker to the other and it is just a cluster**** under the dash, with an additional wire attached to the 3rd fuse in the fuse panel, literally just kinda shoved in there. I am out of ideas, this kid has the worst luck with cars, 2 motors in the previous honda, and now a VW that has ****ed up headlight wiring.

Any input at all would be helpful. Im by no means a wiring expert, just a beginner learning as i go. But this is way over my head.
There also was an amp connected directly to the battery, that has since been removed.

I am asking someone about buying a new harness for the lighting system.

-Dan

Edit:
Now that i calmed down and re-read my original post, let me translate.
I am looking for someone with extensive knowledge of wiring for cars. I just want to ask some questions about certain things that the previous owner did to this thing. And/Or a place local to allentown or bloomsburg area that i could have the car taken to do have the wiring looked and likely redone.

Last edited by naDintheHat; 07-31-2007 at 01:13 AM.
naDintheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:06 AM   #2
Nbboy7
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #3337

My Ride:
93 Del Sol

Just take your time. Disconnect any wires that don't look stock. Then you should test each wire with a volt meter to figure out which wire are which. Just to save you sum money. Most places charge alot for electrical work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Nbboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
naDintheHat
Tri-State Addict

Member #2360

My Ride:

Since the wiring is cut and spliced everywhere i am going to talk to my buddy about helping me install a "new one" in place of the existing one.

But i did have a question, why would anyone have a loose wire running from the upper dash down to the 3rd location of the fuse panel (interior lights), and just kind of having it shoved under the fuse?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Nbboy7
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #3337

My Ride:
93 Del Sol

maybe for sum stupid interior lighting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Nbboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
naDintheHat
Tri-State Addict

Member #2360

My Ride:

Well i just bought a complete harness from someone for the front end, i still think something is wrong tho with the whole setup. On my car, i have my - term on the battery with 2 other leads on it, and on the + term i have the same thing, on my brother's car he has 3 on the + side and 1 on the - side. The car is a bit different being it is a different year but still. When i reconnnect the - term, i hear a relay clicking, sounds like the hazard lights relay. But if you put the key in the car and just turn it a bit so you get battery connection so the stereo goes on and you can hear a loud buzzing almost like a capacitor is charging, so i kill the car. So im pretty much stuck right now.