TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-29-2019, 07:52 AM   #221
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Gotcha, that makes sense. Sounds like we're in a similar boat, job-wise.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #222
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

295s are on the rims, below are some comparisons with the 275s. They are not quite as wide as I had hoped. I also think I can pick up on the tapered edge that has been professed to be the problem.

Anyway I have mounted them on the car. As suspected, there are clearance issues with the shock spring at full lock steering this with only ~1 deg of camber.

The good news is I have pretty good clearance at the rear of the wheel well. Soo I think I am a wheel spacer, and maybe steering limiters, away from having a 295s fit on an NA legally in CSP. First that I know of that.

Eventually I would like to build some offset top hats to limit the amount of spacer needed, or increase camber capability. This is complicated because of the way xida shocks mount but I think I could design one using a hacked up stock mount. Some engineering to do...

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #223
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

I installed some ARP studs for spacer accommodations. I also sloppy built some offset tophats. I initially did them to see if they would help with spring clearance, and they do. Now I think I may just and some reinforcement and use them. I also clearanced the upper control arm slightly.

I will be going to TNT at pocono with NEPA SCCA next week to try the changes out and make sure things hold together.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 04-23-2019, 11:26 PM   #224
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
You weren't kidding, that is sloppy

That is a LOT more clearance that should give you though... Did you measure before/after?
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #225
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
You weren't kidding, that is sloppy

That is a LOT more clearance that should give you though... Did you measure before/after?
I didn't measure but if I had to guess at the top of the rim there is probably .25" extra clearance. The problem was really when turning. The caster brings the top of wheel closer to the spring. Before it would contact, now there is clearance but not a ton.

I did some more work last night. Car is aligned, I am going to try low camber setting. ~1.5 deg in the front and 2 in the rear. If I want to run more camber in the front I need to use 10mm spacer (maybe more) but then I need steering limiters. I may do steering limiters anyway just so I can make changes and know I'm safe but I need to find the easy button for limiters.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 04-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #226
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Delrin spacers turned on a lathe seems to be the easiest button. There's a guy on the brown board that makes them, amaff.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #227
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Went to the NEPA TNT at pocono yesterday afternoon (easily worth the $20). Show up>work for an hour>get as many runs as possible for an hour>go home.

Positive note, the car stayed together just fine. Generally things were good. I got about 8 runs in I think, mostly making sure things weren't rubbing in a bad way and messing with air pressures. Initially the car felt loose and poor traction but I finally got the tire pressures dialed in, ~23 front/ 25 rear, it felt more balanced and pretty well even heat. I had forgot I turned the shocks full stiff so I could have a good starting point to soften when I got there. I didn't change them until the last run and they very much balanced out the car. There is definitely still room for tweaking but overall a successful trial. The car is still a blast to drive, the driving was poor. My best time was a 55.9, the SMF nationals winning civic was running ~54.6. So I have a lot of time to pick up.

TL:DR Car did fine. Suspension tweaks were made to late. Driver sucks at driving.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #228
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I found your next car

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../152380/page1/
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #229
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
If it was close I would seriously consider it. That's a very good price. Especially if it's rust free and with the top.

I am currently watching copart for lfx v6 manuals to swap in...

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-

Last edited by PAdutch; 05-16-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #230
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
If it was close I would seriously consider it. That's a very good price. Especially if it's rust free and with the top.

I am currently watching copart for lfx v6 manuals to swap in...
The car seems like a great value for what it is! Swap and shell look clean too. Plus the BBK, RPF1s, etc etc. I really think the LFX is going to grow a ton in swap popularity for how much power it makes and for various other reasons that make it a fantastic swap candidate.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #231
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Long time no post...

I have done a few autocrosses at this point. I have a regular codriver now which has helped. Without a codriver it would definitely be a struggle to get heat in the 295s. I can't say the tires are incredibly different but the car does feel good and we appear to be using them completely. They seem to like a little less pressure than the 275s.

Last event was Pocono, a 2 day event. 1rst day, my codriver ran up a curb pretty bad and came back with a dangling exhaust. we wired tied it back up and kept running the car. It was noticeably louder so I knew something was broke. Turns out the weld at the header merge broke.

Random pocono pic

The car continues to be very reliable and a ton of fun. Having a baby has very much limited my time for autocross but this car has been a blessing to get out and not have any major issues.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 PM   #232
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I was wondering if you'd been running it! Looking good with the flares and all!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #233
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Some more header damage:

While in there I notice the merge of the 2 to 1 pipes was not very good so I did some die grinding to make the merge more smooth.

Where I ended up:

It's still not perfect but it's better. I bought some stainless flux core weld wire to fix this. It will test my meager welding abilities.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-26-2019, 05:23 PM   #234
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Saw your car but not you on Sunday at NEPA's event! We were running opposing heats.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #235
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Saw your car but not you on Sunday at NEPA's event! We were running opposing heats.
Same here. I didn't notice you were there until I notice the fast CS miata out there and then we were on opposite schedules. Having a baby at home means I don't hang around either. You were pretty fast, hopefully you feel ready for nationals.

My car was understeering terribly. Last event I was chasing alignment while, unknowingly, having a bad rear wheel bearing. Fixed the bearing, thought I had the alignment right but I guess I didn't. Changed rear toe and made it better for the afternoon but it still needs to be better. O yeah, I need to drive way better.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 08-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #236
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

I like to pretend I have the time to tear apart cars so I bought this. A rusted up NB2 that has a wobbly crank pulley that I got for basically scrap value. Funny it starts and runs nicely. I'll be keeping the drivetrain for spares, parting out whatever sells easily and taking it to the junk yard.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 09-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #237
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Interior looks really nice!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #238
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

Quote:
Interior looks really nice!
It is. I think I may be swapping the seats in the white NA. I have sold things. I'll be making a little money on this one. Currently contemplating building the engine over the winter to the limit of CSP. .040 over, forged pistons, head surfaced at factory limits, porting.

I'm afraid of losing my excuses for why I am slow

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
Old 09-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #239
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Excuses suck. Just send it and go fast
Old 02-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #240
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:

I have been getting very little garage time recently but I managed to put together a new exhaust (not quite complete yet). Shortened the header, 2 little mufflers so far, depending on loudness may add more. Def adding a turndown. Old exhaust cracked header because it had no flex pipe anywhere and I have co drivers that like to bottom the center of the car on curbs.

Replace the rear window in the hartop with lexan. The OEM window literally popped out while on my way to work (i should have inspected it better when I bought it), thank god no one was behind me.

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-