TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Engine Management and Tuning
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
fastjim
Tri-State Addict

Member #708

My Ride:
05 WRX

open source???

hey i know of a couple guys who are running open source engine management. i have 3 questions for you all..

1). where do i get the cable and maps?

2). is it safe and reliable?

3). can it be custom tuned and how hard is it to work with.

well i think that covers most of the basic questions i had. anyone that can help that would be great.

thanks JIM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
fastjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
fastjim
Tri-State Addict

Member #708

My Ride:
05 WRX

bump for some help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
Enginuity.org is what quite a few Subaru owners use.
I'm not to sure where you'd get the OBD connector.....
It's very reliable and safe. Quite a few of the members (Subaru and Mitsu owners) here are using it.

Personally, I don't have information of the interface is set up. But I'd let someone with experience tune it. Talk to Ray@TurboTek he's been tuning alot of the members here lately.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
actually the new site is located at http://romraider.com/ and thats the name of it now due to some issues they had. just spend a while on that site to read up on the 'getting started' and 'faq' stuff and it should tell you all you need to know. any questions and you can post on that forum or here and we'll try to help.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
pearl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1108

My Ride:
suck it trebek

Send a message via AIM to pearl
I was reflashed by Ray at Turbotek with Enginuity. Seems like the way to go to me!

1) I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to this question. I'm sure the Enginuity website has some DIY-Tuner kits. I know Xenocron offers DIY stuff for the Honda/Acura community.
2) It's all about who tunes it, or how you tune it. Even Cobb would be dangerous if you put the wrong map on it.
3) Yes, Enginuity can be made for custom tunes.
Last Activity: 03-24-2009 12:05 PM
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
fastjim
Tri-State Addict

Member #708

My Ride:
05 WRX

thanks everyone im looking into it now

Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
pearl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1108

My Ride:
suck it trebek

It's worth it
Old 02-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
fastjim
Tri-State Addict

Member #708

My Ride:
05 WRX

ok if someone else has the same year and same type of mods would i be able to use the map they have and just flash my cpu or do i have to download all the stuff and try to flash it myself.. for example i go and buy the cables but dont have a lap top and my friend who runs the same type of mods ( tbe exhaust uppipe intake...) and he has a lap top and maps already. can i plug my cable into his computer and flash my car or is it like the accessport and your not allowed to do that??

Old 02-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
pearl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1108

My Ride:
suck it trebek

you can do what you just said you wanted to do.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

Send a message via AIM to RayArroyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjim View Post
ok if someone else has the same year and same type of mods would i be able to use the map they have and just flash my cpu or do i have to download all the stuff and try to flash it myself.. for example i go and buy the cables but dont have a lap top and my friend who runs the same type of mods ( tbe exhaust uppipe intake...) and he has a lap top and maps already. can i plug my cable into his computer and flash my car or is it like the accessport and your not allowed to do that??
you can do what ever you want to with it, i build all my maps from scratch and would not trust just any old map online. if you never tuned a car before and have no idea what your doing, i recommend having it done by someone who knows what they are doing. just to give you an idea here, i do many vehicle specific tunes and from doing multiple of the same vehicle its crazy how different each car is.

Last edited by RayArroyo; 02-12-2008 at 02:15 PM.
RayArroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
fastjim
Tri-State Addict

Member #708

My Ride:
05 WRX

yeah i think i talked to you before about getting a tune but just never got around to it.. quick question tho.. my intake always sets a check engine light for lean fuel code after like a week or so then turns off then repeats when ever i put it on. i believe its due to how close the mass sensor is to the intake inlet. would you be able to tune a map that would work with the intake so it doesnt set the code?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

it throws a code because your maf scaling is off, and it can be fixed. when your intake is not scaled correctly it throws your fuel trims out of whack causing this code. what intake do you have?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
fastjim
Tri-State Addict

Member #708

My Ride:
05 WRX

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...ad.php?t=49477

this one.. i know i know what your gonna say.. get a different one that sucks for your car. but it sounds awesome and you dont have to buy filters every 6000 miles so it works for me.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
RayArroyo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #205

My Ride:
GTR/RSTI/MDX Sport

Quote:
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...ad.php?t=49477

this one.. i know i know what your gonna say.. get a different one that sucks for your car. but it sounds awesome and you dont have to buy filters every 6000 miles so it works for me.

all intakes suck as thats what they are designed to do, ill be concerned if your intake didnt suck lmao.
I have tuned that one before
Old 02-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
fastjim
Tri-State Addict

Member #708

My Ride:
05 WRX

Haha You Know What I Ment..

Old 02-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray@turbotek View Post
all intakes suck as thats what they are designed to do, ill be concerned if your intake didnt suck lmao.
I have tuned that one before
LMAO, Ray also tuned my car with tranny snapping power lol. Dollar for dollar this is the way to go.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #17
fastjim
Tri-State Addict

Member #708

My Ride:
05 WRX

yeah thats what you told me before keith.. its just i been slacking and need to get on the ball sometime this month..

Old 02-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #18
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
Quote:
hey i know of a couple guys who are running open source engine management. i have 3 questions for you all..

well i think that covers most of the basic questions i had. anyone that can help that would be great.

thanks JIM

1) http://tactrix.com/ - Get the cables from there.

2) The software safe and reliable in itself. The map/tuner has to be good also.

3) Yes it can be custom tuned. I've never messed with it myself. I let Ray handle that.

DO IT!

Last edited by Honest_Bob; 02-16-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
filjoy2001
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #6650

My Ride:
95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Quote:

thanks JIM
as stated before you can get the cable from tatrix for around $80. make sure you get the right one. as far as being safe and reliable, it is as safe as you make it. you are still using the factroy ecu, you are just flashin a new throttle, timming, afr, boost, etc map onto it so the safety nets that the factory ecu issue are still there. i would suggest you find a good tuner. Precision Tuning in Lakewood NJ has an awesome tuner named John who has done my friends 07 STi. it runs smoother than when he had a protune on the accessport(which he sold because he liked opensource so much). let me know if you have any other questions.
filjoy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote