TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #761
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Man I'm not sure how you find these cars haha. When I first learned of the old iXs I thought they would make a great winter car but when I went to look for one the were either rust buckets or expensive, just like you stated.

It's awesome to see these old machines get the love they deserve and this car looks like a perfect daily driver.

Also.... this thread needs more M3 content
They always find me. This particular one I followed a lead in a FB group for a vintage BMW Event. Sure enough, here we are! When you’re actively looking for cars though in all of the regular places, the E30 deals are few and far between. The good cars and good buys are almost always not advertised.

This car is perfect for daily duty. Not nice enough to hurt, not bad enough to scrap!

And yeah.... you’re telling me. I would’ve had that thing out here ages ago, but the interior is still disassembled and neither my dad or brother want to put it back together so I can ship the car back out to me

I am going home over the holidays and am going to get it ready for shipping then.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #762
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Happy holidays TST!

Another year, another layer of dust.

Last edited by blue91lx; 12-25-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #763
Big_Jim
Dealing with stupidity.
Super Moderator

Member #7592

ooh thats pretty. whats in the bubble next to it?
Old 12-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #764
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
ooh thats pretty. whats in the bubble next to it?
It’s my Pop’s Shelby Vert! He never drives it, but it’s fully restored. It’s a nice car.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #765
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I started grinding back the rust on the iX tonight to "seal it up" and I discovered that I should've driven this thing straight to the scrap yard.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

I cut back most of it and started to prep the surface for the new panels. I started with this area because I knew it'd be the worst out of the bunch and I wanted to get it done and over with. I'm routing the vent houses through the trunk to save time remaking everything that's gone. Going to use weld thru primer on everything, then por15 over the welds, then seam seal, then undercoat.

I'm concerned about functionality, thus my main objective is sealing off open holes. My parts car is rust free, which is going to come in handy. I still don't know how I'm going to tackle the battery box, since it has a few layers and stresses me out.

There's an open hole from the factory jack mount into the passenger wheel well. I'm just going to cut it out and weld a panel in it's place.

Last edited by blue91lx; 12-31-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #766
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Man, the M3 looks so sad...

also, more power to you man, rust repair is ****!
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:32 PM   #767
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Man, the M3 looks so sad...

also, more power to you man, rust repair is ****!
I know it, she looks so sad. I went to shut the door and hood for the picture but figured I'd play it as it lies haha. Everyone needs to start sending my Pops hasty messages about how they want to see M3 updates so he puts the interior back together I tried to do it while I was home but everything is in boxes from when things were reupholstered and whatnot, so I just let it go.

My younger brother has started a pretty successful E30 parts business in my parents house, so there are Bimmer parts surrounding every inch of would-be-free space, on top of him restoring his 325iX in the driveway. Needless to say, the M3 needs to go to give him some room, but there isn't any room to pull everything back out of boxes and reassemble.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder, I must say. I am very excited to get working on it, whenever that may be.

And thanks, re: rust repair. I've got everything I need to move onto patching and sealing, and I have the next four days off so I'm going to get moving on it!
Old 01-02-2020, 12:12 AM   #768
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Rust repair is no fun. I made all of my patch panels tonight out of 20ga, and pulled the head off of the parts car to get it ready for ole rusty. Parts car also has some minty brake lines and fuel feed/return lines that I'm going to permanently borrow for the iX.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:24 PM   #769
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Head looks so clean!

Rust repair going well... even if that job sucks, lol
Old 01-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #770
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Head looks so clean!

Rust repair going well... even if that job sucks, lol
It's freshie fresh! I ordered a stock cam and rockers from Febi (OEM supplier), as well as guide seals. Once that's in the head is going to go to the machine shop! I am excited to get the mechanicals sorted. And yeah, the rust repair sucks haha. I took a break to focus on other stuff today and it was much needed.

Made some good progress today!

-Pulled apart the cluster to investigate an inconsistent fuel gauge, alas, no nut/washer! Replaced that and replaced the ODO gears, as the ones in there were original.

-I spent ample time reassembling the interior today. One that that really irks me is interior work done caveman style. Missing clips, missing screws, incorrect hardware, broken brackets etc. Thankfully I have amassed a surplus of this stuff so was able to assemble everything correctly once and for all.
-I tossed in a drivers tan sport seat I had because the comfort seat was miserable (bent, flattened, etc). Bent the handle around the iX trans tunnel. I'm looking for black leather seats, but most are $$. Hopefully I can pick up an affordable pair sometime in the future. I chased the rusty threads, cleaned the carpet under there, etc. I've been spraying RP-342 on the small stuff as I go to slow down this rust as much as possible. This stuff is fantastic. If you drive your e30 regularly in the salt, I would highly recommend picking some up.
-My 5908 was shot (needs caps and a tape deck), so I ordered the Continental/VDO TR7412UB-OR Radio. I have always wanted one of these, and am very excited to get it in. I attached below of the radio in an R3V member's E30 (earthwormjim).
-I installed my 370mm Mtech1 from Linda into the iX because there's no sense in just letting it sit while she is down for the 3.1L.
-When I got the car the driver rear door was pulled apart. I put it all back together today, only to find out why it was pulled apart in the first place. When locked, the door will not close (as in, the mechanism will not stay in the "locked" position. When unlocked, the mechanism stays in the locked position just fine and will stay closed. I rarely have passengers, so my focus was in getting the door to lock and stay close. I got it to where I can close the door with it unlocked, and lock it manually so the car is fully secured.
-I continued to grind down rust as well to see where I need to patch on the rest of the car.
-I installed sound deadening and ensolite on the rear doors since I had them apart. The main goal is to seal the large holes with the sound deadening to cut low frequencies, and use the ensolite across most of the panel to cut high frequencies. The nice thing about this stuff is that if I ever need to get back in there I can simply peel it back to gain access.
-I found a tire supplier that had some NLA Toyo Proxes all seasons and picked up a set in 205/55r15. Next week I'm having the iX weaves straightened and refinished because they're bent. Thankfully I have a hookup for that in Indy so it is quite affordable.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on FlickrUntitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
TR7412UB-OR by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Last edited by blue91lx; 01-03-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:28 AM   #771
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Buddy of mine has one of those radios in his NA Miata. SOOOO period correct, I love it. I kinda want one for my GTI
Old 01-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #772
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Buddy of mine has one of those radios in his NA Miata. SOOOO period correct, I love it. I kinda want one for my GTI
They are great! You have to tweak the display color a bit for a perfect match in the E30. They really are a great, period correct radio with modern features! Especially for the price....most other period correct/modern options near the $4-500 mark.

No provisions for an amp and whatnot, but this E30 didn't have any of that stuff from the factory, so I'll just rock the stock setup.

I finished out the weekend by repairing/installing the passenger side sport seat (was stuck in place and no functions worked), cleaning the carpet on that side, and removing the brake and fuel lines from the parts car.

Next update will be the head gasket job and hopefully a working welder resulting in some completed rust repair. I have all of the stuff to delete the TB heater and simplify all of the vacuum lines for the throttle body so I'm going to do that along the way. When the head is off and the engine bay is more accessible I'll install the nice brake/fuel lines from the parts car.

​​​​​​​Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 01-11-2020, 01:17 AM   #773
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Got my radio all wired up. It took me a minute to figure out what to do, as this car had a 4ch head unit (common rear speaker ground) but no extra fluff (no premium sound, no fader, no amp). I would love to invert the display on this thing, but I don't think I want to mess with it. There was a rattle in the front right speaker so I pulled it off, looks like they're "upgraded" coaxials. I'm going to save some pennies and buy a set of four new premium sound speakers when I get the chance.

I'm also an idiot and accidentally melted my minty fresh AC button and warped my HVAC panel cover with the heat gun.

I was reminded that my 370mm MT1 is jacked up and sets the horn off randomly. Such a nice wheel, but I can't seem to fix that issue. eBay was good to me, though, and my brother sent me a link to a great deal on an Italvolanti, that I picked up. I also won a bidding auction and got myself a $37 non-airbag under dash panel.

italvolanti by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Last edited by blue91lx; 01-11-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #774
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Well folks.....this car was a hopeful purchase that turned discouraging.

I started to install the good brake and fuel lines I had, and I think I've hit my stopping point with this car. I don't think it'd be safe in an accident.

The car had caulk all over it that was painted over, and I didn't realize the extent of the damage until I started poking around at it. The entire floor area behind the drivers side wheel well is gone, and the seam to the frame rail is rusted almost down the length of the car. I pulled the carpet up and the rocker boxes are rusted from the inside into the floor as well. The front frame rails also have rust, as well as the transfer case mount to the body. In working with the brake/fuel lines today, the whole structural area that the subframe mounts to on the drivers side is gone. The rear frame rails underneath the valance are also completely toast.

I am calling this one quits. Pretty pissed because I wasted a ton of time on this thing. Hopefully I can find a car that isn't a total ****box.

I'm going to do a partout on this thing if anyone needs iX bits.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #775
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Ughhhhhh, sorry to hear man
Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #776
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

That's definitely frustrating but at least you found it before something serious happened. Here's to making money on a rusty partout, hopefully it goes better than the rusty miata I just parted.

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #777
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Ughhhhhh, sorry to hear man
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
That's definitely frustrating but at least you found it before something serious happened. Here's to making money on a rusty partout, hopefully it goes better than the rusty miata I just parted.
Yup, it's quite frustrating.

And regarding the part out, I already have one part out and don't even have a hint of time to bring another one on. I'm going to patch up the back panels with some tack welds, list it for sale and hope for the best. It'd be a big money maker because everything on the car is super nice, but I just can't bring myself to bring on yet another. My lifelong goal for simplicity is always being compromised haha
Old 01-28-2020, 11:35 PM   #778
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Well, gents. The E30 gods felt bad about the swiss iX and bestowed upon me a $650, manual 1990 iS (technically $350 after his buddy needed a few parts off of my parts car). I can't thank my buddy Matt in Southern IN enough for putting me in contact with Aaron.

Aaron had this car for 6 years, and had hoped to turn it into a track car. The car has traveled 159K, and hasn't driven more than a few miles since it was in his possession due to a bad steering rack, among other things. The chassis is clean, and only shows rust around areas previously worked, by someone who didn't coat before seam seal, none of which is structural. Aaron had the head redone and performed other associated tasks while he was in there, with quality parts.

It needs a steering rack. I purchased a low mile e46m3 rack for $100, ordered control arms, solid rubber M3 centered CABs, e36 outer tie rods, USMs, and a few other small things. Matt gifted me some touring rear Bilsteins and other goodies. I am picking up some low mile front Billys Thursday for a bargain, and will throw on H&R sports to compliment the rest of the package.

The interior is mostly apart, albeit mostly present. Gray is my favorite interior color, ever since I had the Lachs over gray '88 iX Heidi. The gray interior will be going into Linda, and I'm going to put Linda's tan interior in this thing to button it up.

The sunroof is not attached to the motor, however my '90 iS parts car has those parts, which I will transfer over. I took the Continental radio that I bought for the iX that's going in this car, and my Italvolanti should be here soon from Japan.

The paint is a combination of stock single stage and some two stage. I'm going to do my best to bring it back.

I am ecstatic, and cannot thank those involved enough. I drove a sub $400 late model manual 325iS into my garage this evening. Now that, folks, is a win.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #779
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Man, that is a pretty solid deal for good bones!
Old 01-30-2020, 12:05 AM   #780
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Man, that is a pretty solid deal for good bones!
I certainly think so! The PO spent more than I paid for the entire car on the machine shop bill for the cylinder head he just had refinished

I am excite.