TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Engine Performance
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #21
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:
"Honey Badger" Turbo Miata

Send a message via AIM to CleanNeon98
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 mazda6s View Post
Cabin air filter? if your earlier post said you thought it came from the vents.
huh?? no no no i meant when i had the vents on fresh mode it was comin through, the smell was still prominent around the rear of the engine bay
Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #22
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

Why did you install a forge VTA BOV, and please dont say the stock one leaks becuase it dosent..I thought you were not gonna rice this car up? How do you like the compressor surge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanNeon98 View Post
So last night i came home and the decided to pop the hood cause i smelled burning oil on my entire trip home. Popped the hood to see a small cloud of smoke come directly from the back of the engine bay right behind the valve cover. Checked the oil and its nice and clean not milky, but the smell and smoke bothers me. Oil level isnt low either. no leaks that i saw either

I just installed a Forve VTA BOV and I am wondering if that has anything to do with it?? Car is going to Mazda on monday for some warranty work and I want to know what to tell them about this issue, if there even is one. Just did an oil change and everything on the underside was clean, and exactly 4 quarts of oil came out..

wtf is going on here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

peteyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #23
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyturbo View Post
Why did you install a forge VTA BOV, and please dont say the stock one leaks becuase it dosent..I thought you were not gonna rice this car up? How do you like the compressor surge?
I installed a Forge VTA BOV because the stock one is KNOWN to leak, and as a part of building my intake kit, I will be upping the boost so its just a precation. How is it rice?? Where is the compressor surge?? And how are you so sure that the stock one doesnt leak?? And why do you want an explanation? Is it your car?? This is a tech thread, not a member journal, if you cant answer my original question dont post.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #24
i like rice
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3858

Quote:
Just about every MSM owner will tell you that the stock unit leaks past 8 psi of boost.

i like rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #25
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

Right, but there is no problem with that (leaking past 8), the air is metered, you will not overspin your turbocharger, you will not lose power unless you are unable to make boost where you set it VIA MBC which he dosent even have. but then when you go and install a bov and vent it out to get a whoosh sound you basically give your car a post compressor boost leak while causing compressor surge, crappy mileage, slow spool between shifts due to a rich condition, and overall sluggish turbo response..But hey, it sounds cool right
BTW your oil problem sounds like the PCV tube popped off and is blowing air or more then likely you are just smelling the METERED AIR that should have been going into the engine due to your VTA decision.
I won't bother your posts any longer, but I remember you saying you were gonna do your car the right way, and it's a decent car so I just don't want to see it happen again..Put the stock BOV back on and recirculate the air back into the intake tract if you want it to run better, thats all. YOu have absoloutely nothing to gain from a BOV except noise, if you end up upping the boost and it wont hold, get a evo BOV or similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i like rice View Post
Just about every MSM owner will tell you that the stock unit leaks past 8 psi of boost.

Last edited by peteyturbo; 06-25-2008 at 10:11 PM.
peteyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #26
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Right, but there is no problem with that (leaking past 8), the air is metered, you will not overspin your turbocharger, you will not lose power unless you are unable to make boost where you set it VIA MBC which he dosent even have. but then when you go and install a bov and vent it out to get a whoosh sound you basically give your car a post compressor boost leak while causing compressor surge, crappy mileage, slow spool between shifts due to a rich condition, and overall sluggish turbo response..But hey, it sounds cool right
BTW your oil problem sounds like the PCV tube popped off and is blowing air or more then likely you are just smelling the METERED AIR that should have been going into the engine due to your VTA decision.
I won't bother your posts any longer, but I remember you saying you were gonna do your car the right way, and it's a decent car so I just don't want to see it happen again..Put the stock BOV back on and recirculate the air back into the intake tract if you want it to run better, thats all. YOu have absoloutely nothing to gain from a BOV except noise, if you end up upping the boost and it wont hold, get a evo BOV or similar.
No, I understand, you just want to feel better and call someone a ricer. I DO plan on getting an MBC (because the stock EBC has a mind of its own), and upping the boost, I have no turbo lag between shifts, and no compressor surge that I or anyone else has heard. The smell was caused by transmission fluid leaking out of the shifter turret dripping down the trans and onto the cat and then burning off.

I got an idea, if atmospheric BOVs are so rice, go and talk **** to the masses of Subaru and Evo owners here running them.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #27
Kevin
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2345

My Ride:
EVO

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Quote:
No, I understand, you just want to feel better and call someone a ricer. I DO plan on getting an MBC (because the stock EBC has a mind of its own), and upping the boost, I have no turbo lag between shifts, and no compressor surge that I or anyone else has heard. The smell was caused by transmission fluid leaking out of the shifter turret dripping down the trans and onto the cat and then burning off.

I got an idea, if atmospheric BOVs are so rice, go and talk **** to the masses of Subaru and Evo owners here running them.
I'm sure they have the software.

And research turbo lag, I think you got that term confused.

Quote:
Thanks dude, you should know better than to think id ditch my dsm's for a vw... lol.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #28
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm sure they have the software.

And research turbo lag, I think you got that term confused.
Hmm let me think

$60 for a forge BOV and then I have to run an MBC
-or-
$2000+ for Hydra and then pay for tuning on top

No more comments on this
Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #29
Kevin
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2345

My Ride:
EVO

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Quote:
Hmm let me think

$60 for a forge BOV and then I have to run an MBC
-or-
$2000+ for Hydra and then pay for tuning on top

No more comments on this
You got it. Blow your car up.

Quote:
Thanks dude, you should know better than to think id ditch my dsm's for a vw... lol.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #30
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
You got it. Blow your car up.
From a BOV??? Whatever you say.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #31
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Sounds like you got the issue resolved. I would have guessed something was dripping on the exhaust as I have had oil drip on my exhaust so many times I lost count.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #32
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
Quote:

I'm gonna have to quote you on this one Alex because you are talking about something you are far from understanding yet.

90% of the guys running BOVs on this forum on cars that shouldnt be #1 couldnt tell you what lag felt like because the turbos are too small to lag and #2 dont care because they bought the car for the noise.

the other 10% of Mitsu/Subie owners are tuned/large turbo/ blowthrough setups and usually a combo of all three.

Unless you have already done some modding where you have vastly increased your airflow to the point where eventhough your air is metered its still safe to vent I wouldnt. I mean you said you still have a stock cat on the car you couldnt possibly be pushing much air through. And If I remember correctly Mazda uses similar turbos to a volkswagen KO3 which flows somewhere around the realm of maybe 380 cfm. You wont really need a BOV anyways.

Throwing a MBC at your car will not fix any problems either, in fact unless you have someone monitoring everything that would be the last thing you should do to your first turbo car. If you really must do it do nothing but a Hallman Pro. I personally would even go as far to say if changing boost is that important to you buy a Greddy EBC so at least you can literally see what you are doing. And changing you boost shouldnt be just running whatever, If your car runs low boost the way it is now I wouldnt change it more than 2 psi.

For example just to help. My 16g flows almost 600cfm and I'm running 21psi with it on a stock not leaking BPV with plenty of wooosh from the intake. Don't just dive head first into a turbo car alex, you'll spend more time on the side of the road wondering what the problem is this time then enjoying your car.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #33
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I'm gonna have to quote you on this one Alex because you are talking about something you are far from understanding yet.

90% of the guys running BOVs on this forum on cars that shouldnt be #1 couldnt tell you what lag felt like because the turbos are too small to lag and #2 dont care because they bought the car for the noise.

the other 10% of Mitsu/Subie owners are tuned/large turbo/ blowthrough setups and usually a combo of all three.

Unless you have already done some modding where you have vastly increased your airflow to the point where eventhough your air is metered its still safe to vent I wouldnt. I mean you said you still have a stock cat on the car you couldnt possibly be pushing much air through. And If I remember correctly Mazda uses similar turbos to a volkswagen KO3 which flows somewhere around the realm of maybe 380 cfm. You wont really need a BOV anyways.

Throwing a MBC at your car will not fix any problems either, in fact unless you have someone monitoring everything that would be the last thing you should do to your first turbo car. If you really must do it do nothing but a Hallman Pro. I personally would even go as far to say if changing boost is that important to you buy a Greddy EBC so at least you can literally see what you are doing. And changing you boost shouldnt be just running whatever, If your car runs low boost the way it is now I wouldnt change it more than 2 psi.

For example just to help. My 16g flows almost 600cfm and I'm running 21psi with it on a stock not leaking BPV with plenty of wooosh from the intake. Don't just dive head first into a turbo car alex, you'll spend more time on the side of the road wondering what the problem is this time then enjoying your car.
Holy long post, thanks for the info man. Basically this is what I am trying to do. Flyinmiata makes an intake kit for our cars. With the kit you raise boost from 7 to 9 psi, and obviously with the kit you get all parts to run it safely (things that are known to be crap on the car are replaced).

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...20%20W/O%20MAF

I dont want to pay 550 for the damn thing, I will have to get some parts from them but some will come from other places. The kit comes with an Atmospheric BOV, I dont think they would include it if it was bad for the car. There are guys on the MSM forum running Vented, and recirculating BOVs, noone with any known issues.

Last edited by CleanNeon98; 06-27-2008 at 12:42 AM.
CleanNeon98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #34
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

I still say find a recirculating kit, it just makes cars that were built recirculating stay good. A typical rule of thumb is MAF based cars should recirc and MAP based cars should Vent.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #35
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
I still say find a recirculating kit, it just makes cars that were built recirculating stay good. A typical rule of thumb is MAF based cars should recirc and MAP based cars should Vent.
What are you running on the subie?

Ilikerice is running a greddy RS on his MSM I believe with no issues
Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 AM   #36
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Subarus are MAP based. Im running a stock BPV with a hallman MBC set at 21 psi with a custom tune.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #37
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Subarus are MAP based. Im running a stock BPV with a hallman MBC set at 21 psi with a custom tune.
I dont really care about the sound aspect of it, I just wanted to replace the stocker with something a bit more sturdy, ill take your word for it and just put the OEM back in I guess
Old 06-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #38
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Petey actually said it best, If an EVO BPV can work on you car I would do it, they are good for close to 30psi. I am looking into one for my own car.

If anything wait until it does leak if it even ever does. I would be willing to bet that at full boost it doesnt hold very long and you see a drop off anyways. My stock turbo would it 17psi and taper back off to 14 psi. That has nothing to do with you BPV but more or less you turbos spool characteristics.

Last edited by Buster; 06-27-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #39
CleanNeon98
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #2029

My Ride:

Quote:
Petey actually said it best, If an EVO BPV can work on you car I would do it, they are good for close to 30psi. I am looking into one for my own car.
There is a lot on this car that is restricted and can easily be replaced for performance benefits, but I am happy with the car as it is, but a part of me wants to have more power. Im not in a rush for either so Ill just take my time and see whats what. I can apretiate the car as it sits, and im sure that if I mod it now, in a year or so ill get past the boy racer stuff and just want to put it back to stock and lose time and money from the whole ordeal.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:09 AM   #40
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

well if thats the case, save your 550 and do it right, custom fabbing doesnt always work espcially when its DIY. take your time do it the way it was meant to be done and not what comes the fastest. Cars are like women, they dont want you to do it fast they want you to do it right otherwise they complain.