TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Auto-X
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
Philly SCCA Official Rules Help

Im looking to have my car in proper working condtions for the AutoX, but I dont know what each class entails. Ive tried searching and cant get anything but simple rules. And trom what I heard from Troll my cars only fitting class is StreetMod, and thats not where i want to be.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
Matt2.8NJ
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #669

Send a message via AIM to Matt2.8NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Im looking to have my car in proper working condtions for the AutoX, but I dont know what each class entails. Ive tried searching and cant get anything but simple rules. And trom what I heard from Troll my cars only fitting class is StreetMod, and thats not where i want to be.

Why don't you start out by telling us what has been done to your car.

Cant help you with no information.
The MR Edition. BSP #46
V710s, V700s, RA-1s, Advans, MX's, Sumi HTR, and Pirelli 210 for the cold.

Quagmire:My fellow Americans, I have not been entirely truthful with you. I did giggittygiggiydoo that girl. I gashmogied her gaflabity with my googus. And I am sorry.
Matt2.8NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
thewake
Tri-State Addict

Member #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
The full 2006 rule book is available from SCCA.com. The 2007 does not appear to be posted yet, so check for updates in FasTrack.

There are 2 approaches to Auto-X:

1. Mod your car the way you want and run where it fits.
2. Pick a class and buy/build/prepare a car to the rule set.

Most people take the first option. If you really want to go the second route, where do you want to be?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
TrboChicsRock
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #152

My Ride:
1998 Eclipse GSX, 2012 WRX Premium

Send a message via AIM to TrboChicsRock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ View Post
Why don't you start out by telling us what has been done to your car.

Cant help you with no information.
His garage:

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...?do=view&g=739

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TrboChicsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboChicsRock View Post

LOLz @ U.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:24 AM   #6
92dxman
Tri-State Addict

Member #470

My Ride:
10 Mazda 5.

www.autox4u.com is your best bet on finding the rule book and about events throughout the area. From looking at your garage and your mods it looks like your right smack dab in the middle of street mod.
92dxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
flashgordon
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #2836

My Ride:
'90 Miata

If you are new to autox, I would not worry about the car right away. Do a few events and learn all you can about the sport. The single biggest factor is the driver, so spend time learning and practicing driving technique. I have seen guys with bone stock cars spank guys with killer cars that should have been crazy fast. SCCA has a bug up their butt when it comes to turbo cars, so I'm betting with the mods you have, you'll be competing against some serious cars.
flashgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
Snoozie
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1887

He has done it a few times and liked it a lot. He decided that he would rather autox than drag. So the question was what are the exact qualifications to be in certain classes, not weather you think he is ready to do it or not.

"Everyone learns faster on fire." - Alkaline Trio
Snoozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #9
Vypurr2
Tri-State Addict

Member #1773

My Ride:
2004 E-Blue SRT-4 / 2006 Steel Grey STI

Send a message via AIM to Vypurr2
Well I know I am stuck in streetmod, and all I have is an exhaust!
2004 SRT-4

I want sig pictures to be allowed!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
(You can choose to turn them on and off at any time if you don't wanna see my sig!)
Vypurr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

I was thinking and I shot the idea to Troll about having our own, not so restricted class for TST cars, we can all run in street mod and then rank ourselves, I know for me to get out of street mod now it would cost me close to 3 grand.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
LiquidFire
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #3076

My Ride:
2006 Tiburon GT

Send a message via AIM to LiquidFire
unfortuantely for you the WRX is ranked high with the SCCA, you're pretty much restricted to STX and SM once you start modding, some regions i believe you can run STU with them but i'm not sure on that

LiquidFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 PM   #12
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

And its a shame, lightly modded WRXs really do suck, i dont care what car and driver say.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #13
Vypurr2
Tri-State Addict

Member #1773

My Ride:

I think I am just going to put my stock exhaust back on for every event. That way atleast I can compete within a class I should be in!
2004 SRT-4

(You can choose to turn them on and off at any time if you don't wanna see my sig!)
Old 12-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #14
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Dont you have a catless DP? or are you counting that also?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
Vypurr2
Tri-State Addict

Member #1773

My Ride:

Yes I do. Thats what puts me into SM.
2004 SRT-4

Old 12-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #16
cravej
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypurr View Post
I think I am just going to put my stock exhaust back on for every event. That way atleast I can compete within a class I should be in!
That's too much work... and won't really change the results much. Looking at the results from the last philly region event, the winner of A-stock had a faster time then the winner of Street Mod. Technically a SM car is faster than an AS car, but the nut behind the wheel is far more important than what mods are done to a car.

If you really want to take autocrossing serious, then choose a class that fits your budget & prep the car to the rules. Even stock class cars need to be prepped to become fast... I.E. A-stock you'll probably want a hugh front swaybar, some really wide hoosiers or Kuhmo's on an extra set of wheels, and possibly some adjustable strut inserts. If you don't want the R-compound tires, then your best bet is STS/STX/STU/STS2.
White '08 GTI
White '10 F150
cravej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #17
piknockout
Tri-State Addict

Member #1855

My Ride:
2006 Subaru STi

If you like the car the way it is, then continue to compete in SM. If you want to be competitive in SM, then continue coming out and learn to drive the car fast. Then start spending more money on mods, especially a dedicated set of r-compounds on an extra set of wheels.

3 STU - 2006 Philly STX Champ - 2007/2008 WDCR STX Champ - Sponsored by
piknockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #18
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Thats my real problem, Im going to come out for as many as possible this year. But it looks to me that im right smack in the middle and to go either way im going to have to spend loads of cash.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #19
RightHandDrift
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #2398

My Ride:
right hand drive FC3S, modded E30 325is, 03 Ducati Monster 1000S

If you up boost, add springs, lighten the car, change anything before the cat, reprogram ecu, you're placed in a highly penalized for PAX modified class. All this and you show up on regular street tires. Meanwhile, you've got to spend $1000 on wheels and R-compound autocross tires that you'd only use for 20 minutes of autocross racing all year.

You may have bought a car that was already modified, and you're not going to revert back to a stock downpipe or ecu just for autocross.

Unless you have a 100% stock vehicle, just run what you brung, have fun, and compete for fastest raw time of the day. Try to crack top 50, then top 20, etc.

My biggest pet peeve is a "stock" classed car with $1000 fat autocross tires compared to my skinny high performance street tires. Where's the reverse modifier for that?!?!?

Howabout a total $$$ spent classification? That'll equalize the Vettes and Elises!

Last edited by RightHandDrift; 01-03-2007 at 05:37 PM.
RightHandDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #20
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

I totally agree with you, I bought my Subie brand new stock, the parts came fast and cheap and I had the only purpose of 1/4 in mind. 1/4 got boring so im trying the auto x. I give up, Im just gonna keep building and having fun.