TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Subaru Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Mishimoto
Vendor

Member #12742

My Ride:
2008 EVO X, 1991 RHD J-Spec S13 (566RWHP)

How to: Mishimoto Radiator into a GD STi

2004-07 Subaru STI Mishimoto Radiator Install Guide
Tools required: Socket wrench, small extension, 10mm and 12mm socket, flat head screwdriver, floor jack, jack stands, allen wrench, pliers and knife to cut radiator hose or equivalent.

Step 1: Jack up the car and put it on jack stands. Remove the under tray from the car to allow access to the radiator from underneath.

Step 2: Remove the five 12mm bolts and the four pops.

Step 3: Drain the radiator fluid by loosening the drain valve. Also, while under the vehicle, unclip the radiator fan plugs. Once the coolant is completely drained, remove the lower radiator hose completely to allow for trimming of lower radiator hose. (Trim ˝ inch from each side.)

Step 4: Remove the top radiator brackets and the intake scoop. Then remove the top radiator hose clamps and hose completely. If they are left attached, they will interfere with the removal and installation of the new radiator.

The scoop has two 10mm bolts, and the brackets have two 12mm bolts.

Step 5: On the passenger side, remove two small radiator hoses and unclip the power steering line. Removing the power steering reservoir from the mounting bracket releases tension on hose.

Note: You do NOT need to remove the reservoir clamps or the entire reservoir completely. Only unclip them from the mount on chassis.

Step 6: Remove the radiator from the vehicle. Then remove the fans from the stock radiator, and reinstall them on the new Mishimoto radiator using the supplied hardware.

Note: Do NOT use the original hardware to mount the fans on the new radiator. The OEM radiator used four 10mm screws, but the new hardware uses an allen key.

Step 7: Install the new Mishimoto Radiator into the vehicle using the same steps as was used to remove the stock radiator but in reverse order. Install all of the hoses and clamps to their original positions on the new radiator. When installing the lower hose make sure to reconnect the radiator fan cables.

Step 8: Install the zip ties on the coolant reservoir lines to ensure that they do not leak.

Step 9: Reinstall the radiator brackets and intake scoop. Fill the radiator with coolant. Finally, install the Mishimoto Radiator Cap, and start car the car to check for leaks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
|
]

The Leader in Aftermarket Performance Cooling Technology
Offering Aluminum Radiators, Intercoolers, Silicone Hoses & Cooling Accessories
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
PoorMan'sR
Tri-State Addict

Member #7225

My Ride:
2005 Subaru WRX

definitely a good right up if my rad ever goes, lets hope not

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate1229
"I'm sorry what's that? your car's newer? I couldn't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am"
PoorMan'sR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMan'sR View Post
Dude, its only a matter of time. Metal + Plastic will never last.

Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
namdoogwerdna
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3004

My Ride:
2013 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMan'sR View Post
yeah? it really is a good right up. i like to right all the time. i think im pretty good a righting maybe ill do it for a living.

looove you
Old 06-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
PoorMan'sR
Tri-State Addict

Member #7225

My Ride:
2005 Subaru WRX

lol i caught that earlier, but didn't care enough to edit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate1229
"I'm sorry what's that? your car's newer? I couldn't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am"
PoorMan'sR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
foolio
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4097

My Ride:
2000 GC/Swap

I just installed one last week. It also had your fans which were'nt plug and play. Not a big deal, Just wired the high speeds and low speeds together. Pretty nice piece all said and done. Not to mention its really light wieght.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

My radiator is leaking. One of the plastic seams has broken. Time for a new radiator.

I'll probably buy one of yours.

<---- 190,000 mile WRX - Gone
MuddyREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Mishimoto
Vendor

Member #12742

My Ride:

^Go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
I just installed one last week. It also had your fans which were'nt plug and play. Not a big deal, Just wired the high speeds and low speeds together. Pretty nice piece all said and done. Not to mention its really light wieght.
Thanks, glad you're happy with it
|
|
|
|
]

Old 06-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

Bought your rad, and installing it tonight. This write up should help. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
phate1229
Tri-State Addict

Member #8613

My Ride:
98 Foz

Send a message via AIM to phate1229
you guys couldn't put this up before I wrecked my sti? come on now.
phate1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

All done. Great write up.

Overall, very simple install. The only thing that took time was the 145,000 miles of gunk that had built up all over the hose clamps and fan plugs. Took about 2 hours.

Also put on some of the Mishimoto hoses since mine were looking a little cracked. Aside from having to trip the hoses down about 1/2 inch on either end, everything fit perfectly.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Mishimoto
Vendor

Member #12742

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate1229 View Post
you guys couldn't put this up before I wrecked my sti? come on now.
I thought you only wanted an oil cooler anyway? Pull the motor out of your car and throw it in a GC chassis please

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyREX View Post
All done. Great write up.

Overall, very simple install. The only thing that took time was the 145,000 miles of gunk that had built up all over the hose clamps and fan plugs. Took about 2 hours.

Also put on some of the Mishimoto hoses since mine were looking a little cracked. Aside from having to trip the hoses down about 1/2 inch on either end, everything fit perfectly.

Nice! I'm sure you'll put it to the test.
|
|
|
|
]