TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
sleeper15
Tri-State Addict

Member #14620

My Ride:
08 Civic Mugen SI, 08 S2000 CR

What makes a true car enthusiast?

This question, or more of an argument, came up in my area between "car clubs".

Here are 3 different people, all who are car enthusiasts:

1. Buys a stock car, can't turn a wrench, but still loves cars, going to shows and racing events. He orders parts, and either has a shop put them in, or has friends put them in for him.

2. Guy can do basic bolt ons for a car, and knows the basics of auto maintance. But will still take his car to a shop when major things need work on.

3. Guy does everything himself. Won't let his car touch a shop floor unless its his own garage.

The argument here is, some people say guy number 3 is the only real car enthusiast, because his car is "built"

and guy 1 and guy 2 arn't, because their cars are "bought".

Also, after that started, the whole argument of what is the true definition of "built not bought" started up as well.

what do you guys think? I want some opinions from outside my area, since alot of people are biased to one "club" or the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
sleeper15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
SHOdude
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21991

My Ride:
1990 SHO RIP:(, MKIII Supra

A car enthusiast doesnt even have to own a car, to me a "real" enthusiast is someone who can appreciate every and any car for what it is. Not the one with he biggest pocket that can throw their money at a shop and have a cool car built or build their own. Honestly the question your asking has no true answer, because everyone has different standards I dont track my car often, Its mostly stock and I would keep it that way if I didn't need coil overs to participate in any drift event. So basically the definition is different to everyone.

Quote:
Damn, you must be allowing her to drive outside of the kitchen with all those wants. Next thing she's gonna do is learn NO.
SHOdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
I think you can be a true enthusiast and be passionate about automobiles and motorsports without ever turning a wrench for yourself. However, with that said, I feel that to truly get the full experience of being an enthusiast, you have to get some wrench time under your belt.
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
x03_EVOx
Tri-State Addict

Member #22077

My Ride:
2003 Mitsubishi Evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
I think you can be a true enthusiast and be passionate about automobiles and motorsports without ever turning a wrench for yourself. However, with that said, I feel that to truly get the full experience of being an enthusiast, you have to get some wrench time under your belt.
Agreed! Well said....

1995 Mitsu 3000gt VR4 - Sold

2003 RR Mitsu EVO 8 - Current....need a better DD!
2005 Mitsu Outlander XLS - The Wifey's ride.....
x03_EVOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

If 3 were the only true example, then performance shops would be out of business and be shunned lol. I can do a decent amount of work myself, but because I don't always have the time, or tools, I am more prone to let a shop do the work, that way I know it is done right.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
GTurner598
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #10902

My Ride:
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2000 LHS, 2007 Saab 9-5, 2009 Saab 9-3, 2008 Dodge Ram

Just because you can't work on a car doesnt mean he isn't one. I have done all my work on my own. Only thing I didn't do was tune it because Saab's ecu can't be tuned without really expensive software. We both have the same appreciation for cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by GTurner598; 10-08-2012 at 02:29 PM.
GTurner598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
sleeper15
Tri-State Addict

Member #14620

My Ride:

Yo, please take his name off your post. I was trying to get opinions from other people man to make a point.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Ying

Member #20558

My Ride:
2011 Subaru WRX Stage I

In your scenarios there isn't a place for "Guy who buys an already built car." In my experience there's a lot of that going on out there as well, but maybe I'm the only one that sees that. Regardless, I agree with the common theme above that a car enthusiast comes in all shapes and wallet sizes. If you're into cars to the point that you make a concerted effort to educate yourself about them, whether it's a particular brand or racing style, or even wrenching on any car, you're an enthusiast.

2011 Subaru WRX: Torqued Performance Stage I
Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
TNTramair
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1299

a true car enthusiast appreciates all car brands and what they have to offer, not just the one he/she drives. i dont think it perticulerly has anything to do with how much one works on his own car. there are plenty of people that work on cars for a living and hate it.
2006 Yamaha R1 50th ann.
TNTramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
TNTramair
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ying View Post
In your scenarios there isn't a place for "Guy who buys an already built car." In my experience there's a lot of that going on out there as well, but maybe I'm the only one that sees that. Regardless, I agree with the common theme above that a car enthusiast comes in all shapes and wallet sizes. If you're into cars to the point that you make a concerted effort to educate yourself about them, whether it's a particular brand or racing style, or even wrenching on any car, you're an enthusiast.
i dont understand why people get so bent out of shape when they hear someone bought a car allready modded. why is that? b/c they didnt spend the money on the mods himself? should they feel less of a man b/c he bought someone else's modded car? what if the car has the exact same mods that the new owner was gonna do anyway...what differance does it make? and why should it bother you if it doesnt bother him?

let give you an example...Vettes. pricey sons of bitches to mod...headers and exhaust alone cost well over $2500...so if i can spend $20k on a car that allready has them installed or $20k on a car thats stock...im gonna opt for the one that allready has them...i dont care that im buying a modded car...****s expensive now a days..ya gotta save money wherever you can.
2006 Yamaha R1 50th ann.

Last edited by TNTramair; 10-08-2012 at 02:16 PM.
TNTramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpat03 View Post
This. There are somethings I will install myself, like minor bolt ons, but when it comes to something like coilovers, I'd probably pay a shop to install it, knowing that it will be done right. With that said, I'm not going to take it to some shop that doesn't have a good rating, I'll take it to a place like R/T tuning or some other reputable shop.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

Car enthusiast = Anybody who is enthusiastic about cars. There is no standard of knowledge or skills to achieve this feeling.
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Far to many enthusiasts and not enough nice cars.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Khellen
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5720

My Ride:
05 STi 30R Brotated 400awhp

Send a message via AIM to Khellen
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper15 View Post
This question, or more of an argument, came up in my area between "car clubs".

Here are 3 different people, all who are car enthusiasts:

1. Buys a stock car, can't turn a wrench, but still loves cars, going to shows and racing events. He orders parts, and either has a shop put them in, or has friends put them in for him.

2. Guy can do basic bolt ons for a car, and knows the basics of auto maintance. But will still take his car to a shop when major things need work on.

3. Guy does everything himself. Won't let his car touch a shop floor unless its his own garage.

The argument here is, some people say guy number 3 is the only real car enthusiast, because his car is "built"

and guy 1 and guy 2 arn't, because their cars are "bought".

Also, after that started, the whole argument of what is the true definition of "built not bought" started up as well.

what do you guys think? I want some opinions from outside my area, since alot of people are biased to one "club" or the other.
Built not bought is just a way to take a stab at posers who buy previously built cars and try to take credit for someone else's hard work.

If you bought your car pre-modded or had a shop mod it that's perfectly fine as long as you don't take credit for their work. Always give credit where it's due. Your pride of ownership shouldn't be diminished by the fact that you may not have had the tools, work space, knowledge, or time to install parts yourself. You're no less of an enthusiast being hindered by your physical ability or financial situation.

That said, I don't think anyone who didn't put in at least a moderate amount of wrench time on their car should ever be claiming they "built" their car. You may have envisioned it but someone else's blood, sweat, and tears are in the car. Be happy you're the owner of a spectacular machine and leave it at that.
2004 Honda S2000
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean

Last edited by Khellen; 10-08-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Khellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
ToyotaTat
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2475

My Ride:
1990 Toyota Camry

Send a message via AIM to ToyotaTat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperson2k View Post
Car enthusiast = Anybody who is enthusiastic about cars. There is no standard of knowledge or skills to achieve this feeling.
enthusiasm about any topic whether it be cars or guns isn't based on knowledge, but enthusiasm. if you like cars, and spend any amount of time looking at them, driving them, fixing them, thinking about them..i consider you an enthusiast. i don't care if you buy your parts, make your parts, or even know what parts your car has. if your into it, you're an enthusiast. i drive a '99 rolla with only cosmetic mods and can't do much more than change my oil and wiper blades but i consider myself an enthusiast.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
sleeper15
Tri-State Addict

Member #14620

My Ride:

thank you everyone for your answers.

i hated to ask this, but, i seriously wanted to prove a point. though, i doubt any of the people who started this whole argument will read this.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
mcperson2k
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #13471

My Ride:
██▓▒░

I think people who point fingers at others, and say they aren't "enthusiasts" because "you don't know how to do, what I know how to do" are just using cars, as a way to distinguish themselves from others because they haven't yet found another way to do so. So in their eyes, the less others can be considered "enthusiasts" the better they think they look.
mcperson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
mckpat03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15251

My Ride:
Mainly VWs

Send a message via AIM to mckpat03
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
A car enthusiast doesnt even have to own a car, to me a "real" enthusiast is someone who can appreciate every and any car for what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTramair View Post
a true car enthusiast appreciates all car brands and what they have to offer, not just the one he/she drives.
+1. Forgot to add that point. I back this thinking 100%
mckpat03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Ying

Member #20558

My Ride:
2011 Subaru WRX Stage I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTramair View Post
i dont understand why people get so bent out of shape when they hear someone bought a car allready modded. why is that? b/c they didnt spend the money on the mods himself? should they feel less of a man b/c he bought someone else's modded car? what if the car has the exact same mods that the new owner was gonna do anyway...what differance does it make? and why should it bother you if it doesnt bother him?

let give you an example...Vettes. pricey sons of bitches to mod...headers and exhaust alone cost well over $2500...so if i can spend $20k on a car that allready has them installed or $20k on a car thats stock...im gonna opt for the one that allready has them...i dont care that im buying a modded car...****s expensive now a days..ya gotta save money wherever you can.
Not at all saying it bothers me one bit, just citing it as another scenario for the purpose of this discussion. What other people do with their money has nothing to do with me.

FWIW, I fit in scenario 2. I can do exhaust work and suspension if I need to but at the end of the day I end up too busy to get some of the things I want done so I throw money at it to make it go away.

2011 Subaru WRX: Torqued Performance Stage I
Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #20
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

True car enthusiasts do not post in the General Section asking which car to buy.
AutobahnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote