TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #21
AlterEvo
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16174

My Ride:
03 Evo VIII GSR / 01 Audi S4 / 05 Infiniti G35 coupe

S-tech springs. a lot of ppl say their horrible, but i actually find the ride to be decent compaired to other companies. Cusco front/rear sway bar, and again, no problems to report. I did have the Tanabe springs, but they didn't give me the stance I wanted and the ride quality was terrible.

If you want advice on how to build your evo, listen to other evo, dsm, or Suby owners (same basic awd platform)...gather your info before you make a purchase; there is quite a variety of parts out there ranging in price, but do your homework as the Evo doesn't mesh well with a majority of them. Sucks buying a part, then learning later that you'll have to upgrade it again b/c it's just not what you need.

I don't know if you bought your Evo with the stock clutch. My advice, check your car out well, take it for a long drive, get it good and warm, then listen for clutch and tc noise. Evo's are notorious for poor clutches and transfer cases, especially if the dealership/previous owner failed to do scheduled maintenance or the loved launching it. A little noise is normal for Evo's, esp. if it has an aftermarket clutch. IMO this would be my first upgrade. I did it backwards, did tons of power adders, neglected the clutch, and within a few weeks, had tc issues even though I didn't launch it. Typical mitsu.

Any other ?'s, def check, evolutionm.net, spadsm, there are tons of Evo owners who I know would help ya. Hell I'm sure even the Suby owners could at least point you in the right direction.
For every gallon of gas you save, I burn 2...
USAF SF veteran - Defensor Fortis - Carpe Noctum

Last edited by AlterEvo; 06-10-2010 at 04:15 PM.
AlterEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #22
Sublime1304
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15678

My Ride:
MK5 TDI Cup Edition Jetta, MK5 GLI

haha that first pic at the dealership, im really feelin the charger in the back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

IG: @mike_perfectstance
Sublime1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #23
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Sidebar:
Just because it has a 4G doesn't mean that it's a DSM. There's GVR4 and EVO guys that would be pretty upset to be grouped in with us. DSMs technically ended their existance in '96 when the Normal plant closed down, but officially became defunct as of 1999 when the last of the GSX's rolled out and no more American cars featured the legendery 4G until the Evo's made it ashore in the 2000s.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #24
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Insulin? View Post
Sidebar:
Just because it has a 4G doesn't mean that it's a DSM. There's GVR4 and EVO guys that would be pretty upset to be grouped in with us. DSMs technically ended their existance in '96 when the Normal plant closed down, but officially became defunct as of 1999 when the last of the GSX's rolled out and no more American cars featured the legendery 4G until the Evo's made it ashore in the 2000s.
I was going to post something similar earlier but didn't wanna get into it.

Tein S-tech's do look good i must admit, but their are so many other options out there that are proven. I guess if your tryna jump on the 'slammed' bandwagon with your evo then buy a set of a cheap coils and have at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #25
AlterEvo
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16174

My Ride:

well i'm not one of those evo guys who'd be upset being grouped with traditional DSM's as I have owned 1g's and 2g's.

Response to your sidebar 'got insulin?':
Not to be argumenative, Diamond-Star Motors officially changed from DSM to MMMA in 95, not 96.
As I'm sure your know, DSM was an joint venture between the Chrysler Corporation and Mitsubishi Motors Corporation. The name came from the parent companies' respective logos: three diamonds (Mitsubishi) and a pentastar (Chrysler). Chrysler initally took a stake in Mitsu in 1970, but in the early 80's, Mitsu wanted to sell their own cars in their brands' dealerships. To allow this, 'DSM' was incorperated in 85 and the Normal plant was completed in 88. Chrysler sold it's stake in 91 and in July of 95, Diamond-Star Motors was officially renamed Mitsubishi Motor Manufacturing of America, Inc. (MMMA). Since 2002 its official title has been Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) Manufacturing Division.

But since it's now Mitsubishi Motors North America, the Evo is still technically a part of what used to be Diamond Star Motors, even though it's produced in Yokohama, Japan and not at the Mitsu North American plants. So is it a true DSM? I'll agree and say no... but does it have a strong DSM heritage? Absolutely.

As for the S-techs...I like them and don't consider them cheap as I also upgraded my struts. Since I don't use my Evo for autoX, I have no need for a pricey coil-over suspension that most people don't even know how to properly set-up. To each their own. I like the stance the s's give my evo.

Last edited by AlterEvo; 06-13-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #26
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

dont ruin the diamond black bbs's and powder coat em..
sell those and get mr gray ones and powder coat those way more MR's than SE's

and if you want to **** your struts up then sure take the cheap way and get tein s-techs

i had them for 3 days and dumped em as fast as i could
mitsuboost30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #27
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:
'06 Evo SE, '99 Integra, '97 Q45

I think I'm going to end up doing the s-techs but I'm also going to upgrade the shocks as well with it. I just ordered a bike rack for the roof. Not for the "style" because I've seen people do that, but I did actually need a rack. So I think the shocks and springs are next. I don't see anything special in the se color for the wheels, they look the same as some other silvers. I think I want to do yellow, orange or a mix between the two.
morla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #28
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:
2018 Pacifica Limited, 1995 F150, 2015 Hyundai Accent Sport, 06 Corvette Z06

If your powdercoating them LPC ftw

*CK*
ambitiousCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #29
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:

Going in Friday to GV Auto to get my tints done. I had 35 in the front and 15 in the back on my old car. I'm debating what I want to do for this one. Any ideas for the percentages?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #30
03MSP
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14857

My Ride:
03 Mazdaspeed Protege

20 all the way around or 35.. i like 20, its dark but not super dark
03MSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #31
peteyturbo
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1450

I have 15% all around on my GG EVO, love it..

peteyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #32
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by morla View Post
I think I'm going to end up doing the s-techs but I'm also going to upgrade the shocks as well with it. I just ordered a bike rack for the roof. Not for the "style" because I've seen people do that, but I did actually need a rack. So I think the shocks and springs are next. I don't see anything special in the se color for the wheels, they look the same as some other silvers. I think I want to do yellow, orange or a mix between the two.
dont do the s-techs.. for the luv of god..
just do it right the first time and get swifts
i had 20% tint all the way around and loved it.. got a few tickets.. but the car was black so made it look darker
your gonna get ragged on by evo enthusiest if u powdercoat those diamond blacks lol im tellin ya
the SE diamond blacks are the rarest color..
Old 06-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #33
sean3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5757

My Ride:
04 Mach 1

5% rear window FTW
sean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #34
morla
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16045

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuboost30 View Post
dont do the s-techs.. for the luv of god..
just do it right the first time and get swifts
i had 20% tint all the way around and loved it.. got a few tickets.. but the car was black so made it look darker
your gonna get ragged on by evo enthusiest if u powdercoat those diamond blacks lol im tellin ya
the SE diamond blacks are the rarest color..
yeah, actually I changed my mind between that post and this one. I'm just going to end up saving the money. I'm going to just end up getting new wheels and keeping the diamond blacks and probably just switch them up every so often. I'm not doing to s-techs, a buddy of mine had them and said he liked them but I rode in his and I hated it. I just want something thats going to give me a nice drop and still a good ride. I looked into the swifts but I'm just curious as to what else is like them
Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #35
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by morla View Post
yeah, actually I changed my mind between that post and this one. I'm just going to end up saving the money. I'm going to just end up getting new wheels and keeping the diamond blacks and probably just switch them up every so often. I'm not doing to s-techs, a buddy of mine had them and said he liked them but I rode in his and I hated it. I just want something thats going to give me a nice drop and still a good ride. I looked into the swifts but I'm just curious as to what else is like them
good decisions! just save the rims for winter or somthin
as far as springs yea i know the swifts are alittle expensive but they are well worth it.. go on evom and make a thread about what to get and people will tell u swifts or worx. they are both prolly the best springs for comfort and performance..
you could go with h&r springs i had them for alittle they are a nice ride. just do some research on evom there is tons of consumer reveiws for basically every spring..
GL brotha
Old 06-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #36
AlterEvo
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16174

My Ride:

yeh plz don't powdercoat the diamond black se's..
Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #37
tranceporter
Tri-State Addict

Member #8224

My Ride:
2007 Honda S2000

Send a message via AIM to tranceporter
clean clean
tranceporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #38
screamingdsm
Tri-State Addict

Member #465

My Ride:
Volvo

Send a message via AIM to screamingdsm
My buddy had H tech springs on his evo Im pretty sure there 1" front and back or something. It had a aggressive stance, and road great was able to get in parking lots, and did well with 521 to the wheels at the track, and it was alot better then S tech ricer springs.

DSM is only eclipse,talon,laser Body is made in america.

GVR4-EVO are in there own catagory. made in japan.

And CSM....is dodge colts turbos,mitsubishi mirage turbos. Body is made in america.

Regardless they all suck, and they all break lol.

Last edited by screamingdsm; 06-17-2010 at 06:04 PM.
screamingdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #39
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

To be honest with u ive had tein s/h and tein flex coilovers and none of them ride nice.. performance wise they are decent but for comfort or of that nature they are poor.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #40
screamingdsm
Tri-State Addict

Member #465

My Ride:
Volvo

Send a message via AIM to screamingdsm
Yeah, well I think going with any kind of "performance" spring upgrade its gonna not ride like a cadillac. The factory bilstiens and springs ride like crap I think on my car. My race car has coilovers and that really rides like crap, but function before fashion, im not trying to have a tea party in the back seat of eather car.

The best part about it, I feel the difference when going from driving one car directly over to the other car, but theres not enough to write home about.