TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #41
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

New tires mounted on the car now. I swapped out the factory RE-050A's for some RE-11's. Will post my thoughts later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:36 PM   #42
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

The new tires have transformed the car in a good way. Road noise is gone, comfort is better and the grip is much higher. In 3rd gear turns, the suspension now exhibits some body roll that it hadn't before due to the lack of grip.

Braking has improved as expected, although it's still not as responsive as id like.

I need to take it on some trips now that it's squared away. Maybe an autocross and maybe an HPDE this summer too.

From there who knows....Ohlins R&T and StopTech?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-29-2016, 10:05 AM   #43
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
I think you'll be happy with better street pads. I have no direct experience with Porsche's OEM pads, but I imagine they're fairly tame all said and done. The OEM pads on my GTI felt like crap compared to the upgraded street pads that I have now or the track pads. Same for the BRZ going from stock pads to track pads.

I will say about the Ohlins... I'm VERY happy with them on my car. A bit stiffer in DD use than I was hoping (ok, I was expecting miracles with springs almost twice as stiff), but no complaints from anybody that's ridden with me. Fantastic when actually turning corners

You should sign up for Trackdaze HPDE at Shenandoah in May
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #44
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I think you'll be happy with better street pads. I have no direct experience with Porsche's OEM pads, but I imagine they're fairly tame all said and done. The OEM pads on my GTI felt like crap compared to the upgraded street pads that I have now or the track pads. Same for the BRZ going from stock pads to track pads.

I will say about the Ohlins... I'm VERY happy with them on my car. A bit stiffer in DD use than I was hoping (ok, I was expecting miracles with springs almost twice as stiff), but no complaints from anybody that's ridden with me. Fantastic when actually turning corners

You should sign up for Trackdaze HPDE at Shenandoah in May
I do need to look at the pads and see what they're capable of. I don't think they're going to be awful on a track but it's best to know all of that before I go in. They definitely will squeak when in city traffic, but a good pounding on them at highway speeds quiets them down once they get some heat in them.

Would you mind giving me a test ride with those Ohlins? Platform to platform isn't apples to apples but I would like to know what my money is buying. I expect them to be more nuanced than the old PSS9 that is available for my base Carrera. (For some reason, PSS10 isn't available for the 997).

Let me look at the TrackDAZE site. I've raced Shenandoah before and it's a fun track. Beats up tires around the ring tho...

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #45
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSTi View Post
I do need to look at the pads and see what they're capable of. I don't think they're going to be awful on a track but it's best to know all of that before I go in. They definitely will squeak when in city traffic, but a good pounding on them at highway speeds quiets them down once they get some heat in them.

Would you mind giving me a test ride with those Ohlins? Platform to platform isn't apples to apples but I would like to know what my money is buying. I expect them to be more nuanced than the old PSS9 that is available for my base Carrera. (For some reason, PSS10 isn't available for the 997).

Let me look at the TrackDAZE site. I've raced Shenandoah before and it's a fun track. Beats up tires around the ring tho...
Sure, you're welcome to take it for a whirl and we can twist some knobs and such I like the PSS9s on my buddy's FR-S, but they have progressive springs which definitely show their limits early.

Sounds like the pads are decent pads, but most OEMs tend to go with pads that are a bit compressible to make it feel more "normal" for most people. Might just need a good brake fluid swapped in.

I had no issues with tires, the stupid Prius tires showed almost no new wear after 4 hours of track time... I destroyed my rotors though
Old 04-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #46
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Sure, you're welcome to take it for a whirl and we can twist some knobs and such I like the PSS9s on my buddy's FR-S, but they have progressive springs which definitely show their limits early.

Sounds like the pads are decent pads, but most OEMs tend to go with pads that are a bit compressible to make it feel more "normal" for most people. Might just need a good brake fluid swapped in.

I had no issues with tires, the stupid Prius tires showed almost no new wear after 4 hours of track time... I destroyed my rotors though
Awesome! Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm not rushing to get coilovers just yet, but when I do the Ohlins are at the top of the list. The PSS9's are old technology and I'd rather just do B8 shocks and Eibach springs TBH. Doubt my lap times would improve a ton with the PSS9's over that setup.

That's great to hear! We had to replace the PSS's on a couple of the cars that we ran at Shenandoah. That carousel can cut.

I've booked an autocross next weekend(10th) at RFK for the 911 with the local PCA region. Looking forward to getting out there. I need to buy a new helmet though, mine is an SA2000

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #47
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm not rushing to get coilovers just yet, but when I do the Ohlins are at the top of the list. The PSS9's are old technology and I'd rather just do B8 shocks and Eibach springs TBH. Doubt my lap times would improve a ton with the PSS9's over that setup.

That's great to hear! We had to replace the PSS's on a couple of the cars that we ran at Shenandoah. That carousel can cut.

I've booked an autocross next weekend(10th) at RFK for the 911 with the local PCA region. Looking forward to getting out there. I need to buy a new helmet though, mine is an SA2000
I wonder why the PSS struggled with the carousel. That was easily my fastest part of the track. Some other folks had issues hopping out of it or dropping low and if that happens there's trash all over the track. I was very careful to stay off that crap even on warm up and cool down laps.

Ancient helmet. I bet that thing reeks! Enjoy the autocross!

We had a few Porsche guys at an event last weekend outside of NYC

Old 04-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #48
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Thanks for sharing the photos! Gotta love the front wheel lifting off the ground!

One week until the 911 gets autocrossed. I'm so rusty, this is going to be a mess, but also fun

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #49
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Attended class today. Autocross class. PCA of the Potomac region held their season opening Autocross School today and I took my 911 down there to get educated on how to drive a rear engine car like Stuttgart intended.

It was a blast! I had a ton of fun and ended up finishing 39 out of 250 in my base Carrera. The tires were incredibly good and I learned new techniques for attacking slaloms, how to modulate the throttle right around a skid pad, and attacking the different gates.

Really fun day and I'm looking forward to doing an HPDE next. Going to register for the Track DAZE in May next. I want to take my car in for maintenance items prior to the HPDE, but all systems go.

I couldn't take pics while working the course, so here is what I was able to grab during the different sections.

more to come later

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #50
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Nice, Dave! Good driving to finish that high up the field. That classwork actually looks fun and useful too, lol
Old 04-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #51
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Nice, Dave! Good driving to finish that high up the field. That classwork actually looks fun and useful too, lol
Thank you! It was a pleasant surprise. The layout of the course mimicked the mornings three separate lessons so it was really nice to immediately apply what was learned. Had a blast.

Taking the car into the local Porsche race shop for tech inspection and maintenance items on the 25th. Signed up for the Shenandoah day May 14-15. Are you going?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #52
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Thank you! It was a pleasant surprise. The layout of the course mimicked the mornings three separate lessons so it was really nice to immediately apply what was learned. Had a blast.

Taking the car into the local Porsche race shop for tech inspection and maintenance items on the 25th. Signed up for the Shenandoah day May 14-15. Are you going?
I've yet to actually do an autocross school. It would probably help... That sounds like great schooling.

I'll be there. I'm going down on Friday to get my hotel room (I should probably make a reservation, oops) and go through the ~10 minute tech/check-in process at the track. What run group are you doing?

I'm going to be using track insurance this time, and hopefully not trying it out They've got the Trackdaze events in there, and the others I'm planning on: ontrackinsurance.com
Old 04-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #53
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I've yet to actually do an autocross school. It would probably help... That sounds like great schooling.

I'll be there. I'm going down on Friday to get my hotel room (I should probably make a reservation, oops) and go through the ~10 minute tech/check-in process at the track. What run group are you doing?

I'm going to be using track insurance this time, and hopefully not trying it out They've got the Trackdaze events in there, and the others I'm planning on: ontrackinsurance.com
It was excellent...can't recommend it enough if you want to learn something new or just have fun with car dynamics in a safe setting.

Awesome! I need to make a hotel reservation too, haha. I'm going to be in the Novice run group. What run group are you going to be in? If I read the schedule right, Novice ends Sunday the earliest?

Thanks for the track insurance link. I just applied to get some. Hope neither of us need it

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #54
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Some more pictures from the event:

Checklist to do for the track day:

-Oil and filter change
-brake fluid flush
-spark plugs
-coil packs
-drive belt
-transmission fluid flush
-install Fister mufflers
-inspect clutch (may need replacement)

Everything on the car is coming due for its 30k maintenance or service age. It'll be nice to have my car freshened up and sounding good for the event.

also placed an order for an SA2015 Bell Sport helmet, but will need to rent a helmet again for this event due to backorder.

Next up will be dusting off my original Go Pro from Ryan at AREA1320 and mounting it, or using Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone.

Any recommendations?

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #55
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I'll be in blue group (though I signed up to have an instructor ride along for a few sessions if one is available). Blue group seems to have a crappy schedule on both days, lol. Green group (novice) seems to have a decent schedule, with the earliest classroom times each day.

I'm using TrackAddict on my LG G3 with a GoPro 3 for video. Qstarz external GPS and a cheapy bluetooth OBD2 reader for data. My setup is a touch overkill, but I'd bet the iPhone takes better video than the original GoPro these days

Thanks for the reminder, I should buy a spare coilpack in case I need it, they seem to throw codes and put the car in limp mode. I also need to do brake flush and replace my rotors... I need to stop putting this stuff off.

I'd suggest looking at track pads of some sort, but I'm not familiar with how aggressive Porsche is with their OE pads. You'll probably be fine either way, there was a G8 there running HPS pads (eek!)

Your car looks great in that last shot
Old 04-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #56
cavillac95
Tri-State Addict

Member #16606

My Ride:
g37x - 370z - civic

http://rauhwelt-usa.com/roughworld/pricing/
cavillac95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #57
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
I'll be in blue group (though I signed up to have an instructor ride along for a few sessions if one is available). Blue group seems to have a crappy schedule on both days, lol. Green group (novice) seems to have a decent schedule, with the earliest classroom times each day.

I'm using TrackAddict on my LG G3 with a GoPro 3 for video. Qstarz external GPS and a cheapy bluetooth OBD2 reader for data. My setup is a touch overkill, but I'd bet the iPhone takes better video than the original GoPro these days

Thanks for the reminder, I should buy a spare coilpack in case I need it, they seem to throw codes and put the car in limp mode. I also need to do brake flush and replace my rotors... I need to stop putting this stuff off.

I'd suggest looking at track pads of some sort, but I'm not familiar with how aggressive Porsche is with their OE pads. You'll probably be fine either way, there was a G8 there running HPS pads (eek!)

Your car looks great in that last shot
Sure thing! Thanks for the advice. I ended up going with Harry's Laptimer and a RAM mount. looking forward to editing videos.

The OE Porsche pads are going to hold up just fine for my skill level They squeak on the street unless you put heat into them for a bit.

Thank you so much! I really am loving this car and how it performs

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #58
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Sounds good, Dave

I'm a bit envious, I must say. Having a grown-up's car, hahah
Old 04-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #59
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Sounds good, Dave

I'm a bit envious, I must say. Having a grown-up's car, hahah
Haha...like I tell my coworkers: it cost about as much as a new Camry

/
/
/
/
/
Old 04-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #60
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Haha...like I tell my coworkers: it cost about as much as a new Camry
And not much faster in a straight line