TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #21
the mike
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #19

My Ride:
1991 Toyota Previa!!!

Send a message via AIM to the mike Send a message via Yahoo to the mike
The WRX/STi has the scoop partly for cosmetic reasons(see the old 2.5RS wit NO intercooler, but still a scoop) and partly for packaging. It was a tried and true method for Subaru, they ran it for a decade or so with no problems on the older WRX's that we never got over here. It sets them apart, like AWD does from the rest of the car makers.
I am sure if they wanted to they could package the car with a front mount, but the way the intake is designed facing rearward, the size of the turbo(kind of tiny), and having to get DOT approval would make it less profitable than keeping it like it is.
That being said, I like the scoop. It makes a Subaru a Subaru. I think it looks like ass on other cars, just like I think shaker hoods belong on Mustangs and Chargers. I don't think it's rice if it actually serves the purpose it was designed to do. It's one part of the WRX/STi package, just like the aluminum hood.

the mike's $.02
Old 02-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #22
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1977

^ ricer
Honduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #23
Omar_MSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2201

My Ride:
MSP

i'm getting a reverse cowl hood. it doesn't really serve a purpose, but its looks real sexy on my kind of cars.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Omar_MSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #24
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
i'm getting a reverse cowl hood. it doesn't really serve a purpose, but its looks real sexy on my kind of cars.
Reverse cowl hoods are a great way to keep underhood temperatures down. Stock Evo's have them

To me, if it's functional it's okay if it's not pretty. If it's not functional, it better be really pretty. If it hurts function, screw it.
Subaru's scoop is functional, plus it's been on the cars for forever (like Mike said.) I bet if Subies never had scoops and started using them on the 2008's, everyone would hate them. But since they're familiar lots of people (like me) think they're cool.

DSM's had the "power bulge," we get a hoodscoop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #25
Omar_MSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2201

My Ride:
MSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisforsurfing View Post
Reverse cowl hoods are a great way to keep underhood temperatures down. Stock Evo's have them
yea, i it does keep engine temp down. it makes sense.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #26
Rush
Tri-State Addict

Member #2869

My Ride:
'05 G35 Coupe 6MT [om-nom]; '00 Protege [DD]; Former MSP Driver [RIP #1276]

I wuv my reverse cowl!

Not only does it work great to keep the engine temps down -- I love looking out over it during the spring/summer/fall, when I can see the heat wave air ripple thingers -- but it can also let you know when you have a really bad coolant leak. As in this past fall, when I was driving and a bolt from my slim fan punctured my radiator, and coolant started spraying all over my engine bay, and the smoke rolling out of the vent let me know something was REALLY wrong before my entire supply of coolant was on the pavement.

True story.

Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #27
CarbonIS
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #301

Send a message via AIM to CarbonIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
I wuv my reverse cowl!

Not only does it work great to keep the engine temps down -- I love looking out over it during the spring/summer/fall, when I can see the heat wave air ripple thingers -- but it can also let you know when you have a really bad coolant leak. As in this past fall, when I was driving and a bolt from my slim fan punctured my radiator, and coolant started spraying all over my engine bay, and the smoke rolling out of the vent let me know something was REALLY wrong before my entire supply of coolant was on the pavement.

True story.
And yet another great testimonial in favor of the scoop/reverse cowl.

On the IS, the vent was right over the intake, so in case i ever drove
backwards, it was functional

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
I hear ya, but as the saying goes,"You can live in your car, but you can't [dyno] your house."
Quote:
Women suck balls on occasion, right?
I never had a woman suck on my back...so...
CarbonIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #28
Rush
Tri-State Addict

Member #2869

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonIS View Post
On the IS, the vent was right over the intake, so in case i ever drove
backwards, it was functional
Y'know, the whole 'the vent is backwards' thing went through my mind when I first bought my CF hood .. but then, by pretty much total dumb luck, I freed up the perfect 'cold air inlet' when I installed my front-mount.

My stock side-mount intercooler used to sit behind my CF grill, alongside the radiator -- specifically, directly behind the 'MAZDASPEED' badge in my grill. But since I obviously ditched the side-mount for my front-mount .. it now leaves a big open hole (save for the badge and the grill mesh) right into the engine bay. And wouldn't you know it -- my intake sits right behind the friggin' hole.

Sometimes, God decides to be nice.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #29
Omar_MSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2201

My Ride:
MSP

Quote:
I wuv my reverse cowl!

True story.
THATS THE SAME HOOD I WANT!!! GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

soon i'll have that same hood. pure secks!

Old 02-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #30
Rush
Tri-State Addict

Member #2869

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
THATS THE SAME HOOD I WANT!!! GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

soon i'll have that same hood. pure secks!
Where are you buying yours from? Used from someone on the Mazda Forums, I guess?

I just like askin', cause Gemini stopped producing my specific hood .. pfft, I don't even know how long ago now. But another guy (CrazyCaker on the Mazda Forums) sells 'reverse cowl' hoods. But they ARE NOT the same style as the Gemini!! A common misconception, unfortunately. His hoods are beautiful, but they are NOT the Gemini reverse-cowl hood.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #31
Omar_MSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2201

My Ride:
MSP

Quote:
Where are you buying yours from? Used from someone on the Mazda Forums, I guess?

I just like askin', cause Gemini stopped producing my specific hood .. pfft, I don't even know how long ago now. But another guy (CrazyCaker on the Mazda Forums) sells 'reverse cowl' hoods. But they ARE NOT the same style as the Gemini!! A common misconception, unfortunately. His hoods are beautiful, but they are NOT the Gemini reverse-cowl hood.
i will get my hands on one. i don't know where i'm going to buy one. i'll prolly ask around. or... i dunno... u can let me borrow yours for a weekend... you know... lol. yea right! haha.

streetunit can find me anything really. i'll talk to them.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #32
UnderPoweredRS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #233

Send a message via AIM to UnderPoweredRS
Try explaining that your scoop came stock but wasn't functional and now it is. but that the scoop was functional in other countries... people get really confused.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #33
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
The one guy I work with has asked me probably about 10 times if its functional. I'm just gonna give him a blank stare next time he asks.

Turbo Buldge > hoodscoop

Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #34
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
keith its ok. you are a ricer. ever since you drove down the street that day and hit the rev limiter ive seen the truth. lol.

Last edited by jspek; 02-12-2007 at 12:14 AM.
jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #35
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
wee for the reverse cowl... but its only truly functional if its at the front of the hood to flow air from the radiator/fmic before the engine. after it rains i can see little drops of water fly up out of it... lets me know its designed well

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 AM   #36
hystericfox
Tri-State Addict

Member #1366

My Ride:
Too many.

Send a message via AIM to hystericfox
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisforsurfing View Post
DSM's had the "power bulge," we get a hoodscoop!
I hated the bulge when I got the car. Until I realized that there was no way in hell for me to be able to clear my cam gears without it.
04 WRX wagon - winter beater
-RjH
hystericfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 AM   #37
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Send a message via AIM to ozthunder
Functional scoops for the win..and not just heat extraction/cooling, but ducting ;)

ozthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:12 AM   #38
SUB2.5RS
Tri-State Addict

Member #697

My Ride:
2.5RS , 89 Supra turbo , 93 240SX coupe (SOLD), 96 Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderPoweredRS View Post
Try explaining that your scoop came stock but wasn't functional and now it is. but that the scoop was functional in other countries... people get really confused.
I can relate! I had this one guy just saying its not functional and I clearly showed him by puttin my hand through my hood. he gave me the REALLY look.
SUB2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #39
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

I always thought that it was put there because the WRX was designed as an off-road vehicle, and to keep the mud from blocking the airflow over an FMIC, they top mounted it with a vent....
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #40
Snoozie
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1887

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspek View Post
keith its ok. you are a ricer. ever since you drove down the street that day and hit the rev limiter ive seen the truth. lol.
whoa whoa whoa.....arent you the one who drives balls out down his street, then later asks if we heard you?!?!

"Everyone learns faster on fire." - Alkaline Trio
Snoozie is offline   Reply With Quote