TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 10-24-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:
'98 240sx, 98 Impreza L, 00 SV650

Send a message via AIM to 420sx
New question: TINT in PA.

Im confused about the tinting laws in pennsylvania. When I searched here, "The Law" said that you can be cited if your light transmittence is less than 70%. But when I searched on google, this is what I found:

Window Tinting is Legal in Pennsylvania because neither the Statute, which the legislature has enacted according to the will of the people, nor the Regulation, which the Administration has passed to clarify the law, prohibit it.

TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

Note that the law only prohibits tinting which prevents a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle. It does not prohibit all tinting or tinting below 70%.

The Law therefore implicitly permits any tinting which does not prevent a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle. http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/

Can anyone clear this up for me??
420sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Sarge
Tri-State Addict

Member #5130

My Ride:
2006 Crown Victoria Police "Interceptor".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirfallsalot243 View Post
Im confused about the tinting laws in pennsylvania. When I searched here, "The Law" said that you can be cited if your light transmittence is less than 70%. But when I searched on google, this is what I found:

Window Tinting is Legal in Pennsylvania because neither the Statute, which the legislature has enacted according to the will of the people, nor the Regulation, which the Administration has passed to clarify the law, prohibit it.

TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

Note that the law only prohibits tinting which prevents a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle. It does not prohibit all tinting or tinting below 70%.

The Law therefore implicitly permits any tinting which does not prevent a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle. http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/

Can anyone clear this up for me??
Seems clear (no pun intened) to me that you can't have LIMO tint on your windows in PA.
I owned a Trans Am in Georgia when I was in the Air Force that had darkly tinted windows it looked cool and was fine in the daytime but at night it was a nightmare. A light tint on your windows will give you the sun protection you need keep the police off your back and still be safe. If you'r looking for privacy get a room
Old 10-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:

Im just looking for that tinted look. I was going to do 35% up front and 20% in the back. Limo tint is 5%. Do you think that Ill be able to go unnoticed with 35%? And If im not noticed, would the argument above stand up in court?

As far as I could find, theres no law that implicitly prohibits tint with less transmittance than 70%. As far as i can find, 70% is just a widely accepted number, but with no law actually stating it. Is this correct?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
Sarge
Tri-State Addict

Member #5130

My Ride:

Quote:
Im just looking for that tinted look. I was going to do 35% up front and 20% in the back. Limo tint is 5%. Do you think that Ill be able to go unnoticed with 35%? And If im not noticed, would the argument above stand up in court?

As far as I could find, theres no law that implicitly prohibits tint with less transmittance than 70%. As far as i can find, 70% is just a widely accepted number, but with no law actually stating it. Is this correct?
Send me the link to what ever site your getting that from. If you tint the windows... like I said dont do the windshield and don't go much darker then factory tint.

Remember Im here to help you with understanding the laws. Not to help you get away with breaking them

I know your just looking to make you car look good and your not tring to make trouble. But to an officer who stops you they don't know you and they will just summons you for the violation... thats their job.

Like I said shoot me that link and mabe I can help you further.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
420sx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2811

My Ride:

I wasnt planning to do the windshield. Just the back window and side windows.

Im fully expecting to be cited, its a risk im taking by putting tint on. My question is: will the argument i posted in the first post be a valid argument in court? I know youre not a lawyer, but im sure youve been to court more times than the average person. Im just trying to figure out if this is a risk I want to take. I havent yet installed any tint.

I posted the link for it above.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Sarge
Tri-State Addict

Member #5130

My Ride:

Quote:
I wasnt planning to do the windshield. Just the back window and side windows.

Im fully expecting to be cited, its a risk im taking by putting tint on. My question is: will the argument i posted in the first post be a valid argument in court? I know youre not a lawyer, but im sure youve been to court more times than the average person. Im just trying to figure out if this is a risk I want to take. I havent yet installed any tint.

I posted the link for it above.
Your argument is good but it will still fall on the judges interpretation of the law not your's when and if you go to court. Unless you find a lawyer that wants to make case law on the subject your going to probably lose your case.