TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Drag Racing
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Soda Popinski
Tri-State Addict

Member #8608

My Ride:
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T

Send a message via AIM to Soda Popinski
Understanding the Christmas Tree and how to react

So I did some reading around... and since I have a 5EAT Legacy GT I was wondering the best way to get the best reaction time when I go down to the track some day.

I kinda understand that I have to break launch (into boost) but when do I let off the brakes? When I see that 3rd amber light up or green? I'm thinking that the auto might make the car roll forwards... and the timing of the light is 1/2 a second from the 3rd amber to green.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
alwaysinboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1454

My Ride:
04 EVO Wrecked by Oakes Detailing

are you planning on bracket racing or do you just want to see what your car will run?
alwaysinboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
Soda Popinski
Tri-State Addict

Member #8608

My Ride:
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T

Send a message via AIM to Soda Popinski
Well, as a personal goal I want to see just how good I can do. But since I've never done it, and if it tickles my fancy... I might consider it too. Just wondering what the best way to time the lights for the best RT and 1/4's.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
alwaysinboost
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1454

My Ride:
04 EVO Wrecked by Oakes Detailing

the reason I asked is because unless you are bracket racing your RT has no effect on your ET.

back to your original question, as far as bracket racing an auto goes and getting a good RT, I don't have an auto and I don't bracket race so I can't help ya out with either. sorry.
alwaysinboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

It all depends on driver and car. See how you do mashing the gas right when the light turns green. Find out your r/t. If its like 1.0 (let's say), then the next run do it half a second before the green light lights up, see what your r/t is and keep on working it down until you have a feel for it.
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
I have been bracket racing for 8 years since I was 14 years old and sometimes I still have trouble finding the tree determining what car I am using. There are a lot of variables and not just when you try and leave the tree. There are different ways you can try and work on your reaction time. You can go in real shallow by real slowly bumping in and I mean slowly. If you notice it is a slow reaction time bump in a little farther each time after you light up the stage bulb. You can lower and raise air pressure in the front tires to affect the rollout on your car. There are just many ways you can change it, but if you aren't getting into bracket racing I won't tell you the other things, because some of them are drastic changes.

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
C'DALERIDER
Tri-State Addict

Member #1064

My Ride:
'04WRX,'06STI;WRBX2,850awhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post
the reason I asked is because unless you are bracket racing your RT has no effect on your ET.

back to your original question, as far as bracket racing an auto goes and getting a good RT, I don't have an auto and I don't bracket race so I can't help ya out with either. sorry.
exactly. In that car, LGT, brake boost her till she reach;s hopfully 2500-3k rpm then let go. Start brake boosting just b4 the light starts down but there is NO NO need to GO on GREEn if you are out to see what the car can do in the 1/4. IOW,....the timer dont start till you leave that spot! Your reaction time can be 4 seconds etc. Who cares (except the fella staging next).
The wheel in front of me twitches and pulses with enormous energy as it tries desperately to pull away from my gasping breaths. My legs ache, the pain beginning deep, unbelievably deep, slowly creeping up through the layers of my consciousness, finally reaching the threshold where my struggle to ignore it is overcome and it comes gushing out in great spasms.
C'DALERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

go on the 3rd yellow.
CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
There is a difference though to how far you want to stage the car. If you ever notice most people just roll in until they see they are staged. Well what you don't realize is that if you stage the car real shallow (I mean bump it is inch by inch really slow) you will get the best ET out of your car because that allows the car to roll through the beams and pick up speed before it starts your ET. The deeper you go in the slower your car will be.

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
Chris215
Tri-State Addict

Member #5115

My Ride:
08 WRX

Send a message via AIM to Chris215
Here I posted a guide I found that might help. http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...newthread&f=22
Chris215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:17 AM   #11
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickRocket1258 View Post
There is a difference though to how far you want to stage the car. If you ever notice most people just roll in until they see they are staged. Well what you don't realize is that if you stage the car real shallow (I mean bump it is inch by inch really slow) you will get the best ET out of your car because that allows the car to roll through the beams and pick up speed before it starts your ET. The deeper you go in the slower your car will be.
Yup, if you just barely light up the staging lights you will have effectively given yourself a "running" start.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote