TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
honduhbee
Tri-State Training Wheels
Banned

Member #7228

Hyundai Genesis 2.0t

hello tst. im in the market for a used/sorta new car and the genesis coupe came to mind. i like F/I cars so no 3.8 for me. i was wondering what are people thoughts bout the genesis? will i be gettin the oh its a hyundai treat ment? im doing my research now. i plan on mayb doin basic bolt on and staggered wheel setup in the future if i do get it. i was also told that the 6 speed was a horrible drive and should get auto but idk bout tht one. whats are your thoughts tsters!
honduhbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
jesus_ralliart
Tri-State Addict

Member #15649

My Ride:
05 neon

This is still a very new platform... one guy has one on here. His best was 14.2 in the 1/4.... don't know his mods or anything other than it being white with black wheels.

I'm told its a detuned evo motor... Looks decent enough and im sure its reliable for being a hyundai. Question is: Do you want it or are you just gonna do what the "crowd" tells you to do ?
jesus_ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Before you even worry about mods and what kinda issues a car may have, you should drive one to see if you even like it. Also note it is a first gen so its going to have issues that people haven't found yet. First gens are always like that.

I wouldn't spend that much on a Hyundai though, just for the fact it is a Hyundai. Not saying it is a bad car because I don't know anything about it, but still...
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
RWDTurbo149
Tri-State Addict

Member #13830

My Ride:
2007 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by honduhbee View Post
hello tst. im in the market for a used/sorta new car and the genesis coupe came to mind. i like F/I cars so no 3.8 for me. i was wondering what are people thoughts bout the genesis? will i be gettin the oh its a hyundai treat ment? im doing my research now. i plan on mayb doin basic bolt on and staggered wheel setup in the future if i do get it. i was also told that the 6 speed was a horrible drive and should get auto but idk bout tht one. whats are your thoughts tsters!
alrighty, lets get down to business haha

first off, i've not gotten the oh its a hyundai treatment yet, unless its from straight up jealous people, but all comments have been awesome. every time i pull into a gas station people are asking me about it, every time i pull up to an intersection it brings me great joy in watching every single car that goes by and they all turn their heads.

here are the reasons i got it:

-affordable
-RWD
-Stock turbo
-awesome looks
-19's
-four piston brembo's front and rear *(the new one piece design )*
-HID's (track model)
-push button start with proximity key (track model)
-10 speaker system with a 10" sub and an external amp

here are the negatives: (note: i got my car april 13th, 2009, but i only drive it in the summer)

-stock turbo - its small....really small (but there is TONS of room)

-internals - some people are reliably putting out 400+hp on the stock block, others have either had deffective con rods or something, because a few people have put windows in their block at sub 300 hp levels. to make serious power right now, your gonna have to either wait and see if other people blow up, or go the safe route and build the motor.

-the tranny - dont be discouraged, change the trans fluid. hyundai uses a really ****ty fluid that makes it feel really notchy. once i changed the fluid that went away

-um...i'm pretty sure thats it...i'm trying to think of more negatives but i cant think of anything haha (besides it being slow in stock form haha)

honestly the car is really great, and its only going to become more popular as the people that are hiding behind their "badge" realize what hyundai is doing: creating an affordable RWD turbo platform with amazing potential.

look into an R-spec. for the price its an amazing deal!!!! if you wanna meet up sometime and check out my car or go for a ride i could probably meet with you someday when its nice out!

RWDTurbo149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
2drStunner
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2009

My Ride:
2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T and 2008 Honda CBR1000rr

Send a message via AIM to 2drStunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDTurbo149 View Post
alrighty, lets get down to business haha

first off, i've not gotten the oh its a hyundai treatment yet, unless its from straight up jealous people, but all comments have been awesome. every time i pull into a gas station people are asking me about it, every time i pull up to an intersection it brings me great joy in watching every single car that goes by and they all turn their heads.

here are the reasons i got it:

-affordable
-RWD
-Stock turbo
-awesome looks
-19's
-four piston brembo's front and rear *(the new one piece design )*
-HID's (track model)
-push button start with proximity key (track model)
-10 speaker system with a 10" sub and an external amp

here are the negatives: (note: i got my car april 13th, 2009, but i only drive it in the summer)

-stock turbo - its small....really small (but there is TONS of room)

-internals - some people are reliably putting out 400+hp on the stock block, others have either had deffective con rods or something, because a few people have put windows in their block at sub 300 hp levels. to make serious power right now, your gonna have to either wait and see if other people blow up, or go the safe route and build the motor.

-the tranny - dont be discouraged, change the trans fluid. hyundai uses a really ****ty fluid that makes it feel really notchy. once i changed the fluid that went away

-um...i'm pretty sure thats it...i'm trying to think of more negatives but i cant think of anything haha (besides it being slow in stock form haha)

honestly the car is really great, and its only going to become more popular as the people that are hiding behind their "badge" realize what hyundai is doing: creating an affordable RWD turbo platform with amazing potential.

look into an R-spec. for the price its an amazing deal!!!! if you wanna meet up sometime and check out my car or go for a ride i could probably meet with you someday when its nice out!

I agree with everything stated above! There not straight line fast when there stock. I have a auto and Im glad I do. The 6spd guys are having some issues. Not once has anyone made fun of me cause its a Hyundai. If anything everyone is amazed and always has something nice to say. If you can find one used for cheap.......do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you're car looks so deliciously good possibly better then the cereal i'm about to eat.
2drStunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Evo8kid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1631

My Ride:
contributes towards Global warming

Send a message via AIM to Evo8kid
speaking from my exerience. Ive always taken hyundais to be a "fake" car in my eyes. They copy a lot from other automakers and put it into their own. That really isnt the reason i dont like them though. I look down upon them because ive seen multiple hyundais have major mechanical problems immediatly after their 100k mile warranty is up. For me the question really is, is the quality really there? For some reason I just see them as trying to fake their quality. The Genesis is the best thing they have done so far. no doubt about that. But idk if i would buy a hyundai. just my .02

2010 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2008 Audi RS4- 420 HP 4.2L V8
2004 Honda CBR600RR
Evo8kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8kid View Post
speaking from my exerience. Ive always taken hyundais to be a "fake" car in my eyes. They copy a lot from other automakers and put it into their own. That really isnt the reason i dont like them though. I look down upon them because ive seen multiple hyundais have major mechanical problems immediatly after their 100k mile warranty is up. For me the question really is, is the quality really there? For some reason I just see them as trying to fake their quality. The Genesis is the best thing they have done so far. no doubt about that. But idk if i would buy a hyundai. just my .02
IMO alot of cars have issues after 100k miles...
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Evo8kid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1631

My Ride:
contributes towards Global warming

Send a message via AIM to Evo8kid
yeah but it was just something about this one in particular. 107xxx miles and it needed a trans, transfer case and rear diff. that seems a little funny

2010 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2008 Audi RS4- 420 HP 4.2L V8
2004 Honda CBR600RR
Evo8kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Send a message via AIM to marshallpre1
Quote:
yeah but it was just something about this one in particular. 107xxx miles and it needed a trans, transfer case and rear diff. that seems a little funny
Sorry dude, but Audi's are not really known for their reliability either...
1994 SC300 5MT- NA-T- PT61/AEM V1- future track car

Last edited by marshallpre1; 03-09-2010 at 11:16 PM.
marshallpre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #10
NOPSTNS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3176

IMO some people are bound to give genesis owners a hard time. its hyundai's first swing at making a sports car and they are trying to break their mold. I think the world could really use some 20k rwd coupes and hyundai is first to introduce it. ten years from now we will all look back and thank hyundai for the return of the 240sx genre. me personally, i wouldnt own one, but im a total SPAZ when it comes to buying cars so i shouldnt count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo4bmx View Post
IMO alot of cars have issues after 100k miles...
Yeah seriously, that was a dumb thing to say from that guy.
NOPSTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
jnr5005
Tri-State Addict

Member #14147

My Ride:
'12 Jetta TDI

100k warranty is nice. That white one is sick! Buy the Genisis but get it in white. I like the light blue and yellow too. If that car was out when I bought my Ms3 I definitely would have checked it out. How much is a 4cyl turbo one with the brembos, xenons and stereo etc.?
jnr5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:
you used to have an evo- we have trans and transfer case problems all the time!
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
Vr-4-Life
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1961

My Ride:
BMW E60 M5 V10 6 Speed --- Ducati Monster 696

Wait till the second generation..... This is a performance oriented car from a company that is cheap because it cuts corners on quality...
Vr-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
streetrave2010
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #15900

My Ride:
1990 Acura Integra

i say buy i drove a 2.0 trac no complaints here lots of potental
streetrave2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #15
2drStunner
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2009

My Ride:
2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T and 2008 Honda CBR1000rr

Send a message via AIM to 2drStunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr5005 View Post
100k warranty is nice. That white one is sick! Buy the Genisis but get it in white. I like the light blue and yellow too. If that car was out when I bought my Ms3 I definitely would have checked it out. How much is a 4cyl turbo one with the brembos, xenons and stereo etc.?
The track model which is the one with Brembos is right around 30k!
you're car looks so deliciously good possibly better then the cereal i'm about to eat.
2drStunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
RWDTurbo149
Tri-State Addict

Member #13830

My Ride:
2007 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr-4-Life View Post
Wait till the second generation..... This is a performance oriented car from a company that is cheap because it cuts corners on quality...
I wouldn't say they cut corners on quality anymore. Go see some new models, they didn't get the J.D. power highest initial quality out of non luxury award for nothing

But I agree, the refresh for the gen coupe will be 2 more years away, but I wouldn't doubt that the refresh will adress all the problems plus increase the horsepower out of the 2.0t, and dare I say we might see the tau V-8??? Hopefully...
Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #17
RWDTurbo149
Tri-State Addict

Member #13830

My Ride:
2007 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drstunner View Post
The track model which is the one with Brembos is right around 30k!
For a 3.8. the 2.0 track is 27,000, but if you sign up for hyundai think tank they will give you "app" pricing or something which brings it down to like 25,000. The R-spec, which has all the preformance goodies without the extra luxurys, is around 23 or 24 which is an awesome deal =]
Old 03-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
Go test drive one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #19
StylezTA
Tri-State Addict

Member #4984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vr-4-Life View Post
LOL. Go drive one.

As a hyundai technician i can tell you the genesis is a great car (Coupe or Sedan) that we have seen with MINIMAL problems with. I would love a Red track pack Coupe with the 2.0t.

- 2007 CBR 1000RR
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by StylezTA; 03-10-2010 at 09:13 PM.
StylezTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #20
JSpecV03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6345

My Ride:
2006 Acura TSX,1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0, and cammed out Spec V with a blown motor.

Send a message via AIM to JSpecV03
how dose the genesis stack up against cars in its class and competition? 370z, g37etc... you get the idea
Every Nasty Vehical Illustrates Our Useless Spending
JSpecV03 is offline   Reply With Quote