TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
billyboy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1135

Send a message via AIM to billyboy
My "build thread" for my new toy .... Honda S2000

Wassup fellas , I've been out of the game for at least 3 years but I finally got my hands on something that I think I will try to keep for awhile and add my twist to it. I purchased this car built by a private owner by the name of Greg and this car was done 100% right. I know it's frowned upon when a car is "bought and not built" but this car is done to almost exactly how I want it and in the end, I am saving money and most importantly, a lot of TIME and you guys with the intensive builds know what I am talking about. The most important thing that I have to keep in mind while modding this car is to keep it practical but also show worthy.

Below is the mod list when I purchased the car :

POWERTRAIN:

Original F20c1 61,XXX Miles, Under 2,000 on Turbo setup/Head gasket/Retainers

Jeff Evans Tuned, 490 rwhp/340tq on 93 Octane

Garrett GT3076r .82 W/ TiAL V-Band Housing, 90 Degree welded Elbow
TiAL 44 mm V-Band WG (7 PSI Spring)
PFAB Equal Length V-Band Manifold
PFAB 3" V-Band Downpipe
PFAB V-Band Dump tube
ACT Street Disc/Heavy Duty PP w/ OEM TOB and Fluids
PFAB Intercooler Piping
PFAB Stage 2 Intercooler
PFAB Intake Pipe
HKS SSQ BOV Matte
Walbro 255
Ti Heat wrap, Blanket & Gold Reflective Sheet
ARP Manifold Studs
Custom twin resonated single 3" turbo back exhaust
IP EGR block off
Bosch Injector Dynamics 1000cc W/ Clips
New OEM Head bolts
AP2 Retainers
New OEM Valve Seals
IP 3mm Head gasket
ATP Stainless Steel Oil/Coolant lines
Custom powder coated valve cover with (2) -10 AN bungs
BRM Stainless Catch Can/Water Over flow with Black AN Fittings

ELECTRONICS:

AEM EMS (U-series)
AEM Serial Gauge x2
AEM Boost Control Solenoid
Concealed Hi/Low Boost Toggle Switch (10/18psi)
SOS 3 Bar Map
SOS Pillar Pod
Battery Relocation Kit (Fused, In trunk Yellow Top Optima)

SUSPENSION/WHEELS:

TEIN Flex coilovers
Volk Racing ce28n Ti Silver
17 x 7.5 + 50, 17 x 9 + 63
Falken Azenis Rubber 225/255 (Less than 2000 miles)
UK Spec alignment performed by RT Tuning

BODY:

AP2 Front Bumper (Shaved emblem)
AP2 Front Lip
OEM Hardtop

MODIFICATIONS:

Deleted Soft top
Battery Relocation (Trunk)
Fuse box Relocation (Fender)
AC Removal
Air Pump removal
Supra PCV

And below are pictures of cars that I previously had and were built from scratch ......

First order of business is the suspension work. I am a big fan of CUSCO and I've had their product on all my projects but I've been hearing good things about the Buddy Club Race Spec from the S2000 crowd and decided to give them a try. The biggest thing that I fear about with driving a lowered car is bottoming out or smashing something with my front bumper so I've been searching for a solution. A couple of years ago, I heard about a product that Top Secret Japan was using called the ROBERUTA cup kit. It allowed you to be able to raise your vehicle at the flick of a button without sacrificing your ride quality and performance of your coilovers. But the problem was that it was crazy expensive, long waiting time, specific vehicle application, specific coilover application , crazy shipping price and crazy expensive. Did I mention crazy expensive ???

Then recently I found a company called Umbrella Auto Design. It was the same concept as the Roberuta cup kit but I hear that their technology & quality is more advance and most importantly, they were located in the USA which meant customer support a phone call away. So I called Ravi from U.A.D. and put my order in for a set of cup kits front and rear to match up with my Buddy Club Race Spec coilovers. I should be getting them back into my hands within 1-2 weeks. Below is a video of their product in action .....

YouTube - Variable Ride Height (VRH) suspension lift system by Umbrella Auto Design

Last edited by billyboy; 01-23-2011 at 03:34 PM.
billyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
billyboy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1135

January 21, 2011

Some updates on the S2000. My body guy called me up and told me that he has some time to squeeze me in to get some work done. At first, I just wanted to get the small little dings on the car repaired. But I also would like to run wider wheels/tires in the near future and my two options was to either do a roll/pull/flare to the stock fenders and quarter panel OR purchase FPR or CF rear over fenders and wider front fenders but both of those options could end up ugly with cracked parts which was very likely. Then I thought since I was doing that, I might as well do a whole color change ( Lambo Telesto Gray ) but I had to stop and remind myself, "KEEP THE CAR PRACTICAL !" So after about a couple hours of pondering, I decided to keep the OEM look but still be able to accommodate a wider wheel/tire setup. And below are pictures of what we ended up doing .......

( I wanted to get a picture when the sheet metal was tacked on because you were able to see the added piece and where the cut was made. I will try to get a picture when he does the other side of the car )

The game plan :

1) fold up/roll the inner edge of front fenders and quarter panels
2) add 1" sheet metal to the front fenders ( sheet metal shaped like a long slender moon to maintain the OEM look )
3) add 1.5" sheet metal to the rear quarter panels
4) widened stock bumpers to mate up with wider fenders and quarter panels
4) add sheet metal to the underside of the newly added sheet metal
5) apply sealent where needed
6) rhino line wheel wells & paint black
7) body work and paint

As far as wheel and tire setup, I went with 17 x 9.5 +28 Volk CE28N / Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 255/40-17. I will get pictures of them as soon as they arrive.

I was able to convince the two guys that are working on the car to take a picture with the S.

And here's a picture of them game planning the front fenders.

Last edited by billyboy; 02-16-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
billyboy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1135

January 22, 2011

Passenger side rear quarter panel is finished with fabrication and next for it is some bodywork. ( they finished off the fabrication with plastic welding the added section in the rear bumper to match with the widen rear quarter panel ) It's hard to see since the car is black but the OEM bend and lines are still there.

And then they started on the front passenger fender . Also for the front bumper, they decided not to cut the bumper and expand it since it gets the most contact which will cause stress cracks.
So to accommodate the widen fender, they will do some bodywork to the front bumper to match up the body lines.
Something like this piece below but it will be molded instead of an add-on piece.

JANUARY 26TH, 2011

FEDEX just dropped off my wheels that I purchased off of a member on Evolutionm.net. As you can see, two of them are orange and two are black but that will change very soon. Planning to get them powder coated gloss white with silver flakes. I also plan to coat the intercooler piping, valve cover and maybe the compressor housing the same color. As far as tires, I'm going to run Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 255/40/17. I've read great reviews on them and also heard that they're the best bang for the buck.

January 27, 2011

Got some more goodies in the mail. A couple parts that I ordered from Honda which consists of OEM red floor mats, license plate plugs and front tow hook cover. Also got my Coastal Metal splitter to protect the AP2 front lip. After inspecting the splitter, I would give it two thumbs way up. It's a high quality piece made of thick gauge that will insure you that it will last you a very long time and will be able to take a beating.

I also ended up selling my Honda Ruckus GY6 and used the money to instantly purchase a brand new set of Project Mu 355mm big brake kit. I's going to be a tight squeeze with the 17" Volk CE28n but let's hope that it will work. Bye bye my Ruckus ! And hello to Project Mu goodness !

Last edited by billyboy; 02-16-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
billyboy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1135

JANUARY 29th, 2011

Wheels are fresh baked out the oven. I went with "Sky white" and added a "silver flake" clear coat. Under normal conditions, you can barely see the flakes but when light hits it, it's more noticeable. I plan to get the Dunlop Star Specs mounted on them tomorrow and then shoot over to the body shop and mount them on the car to see how they fit with the widened front fender and widened rear quarters.

FEBRUARY 02, 2011

After alot of head pounding, internet searching, many phone calls and fitment testing; the 17" CE28N will not fit the 355mm Project Mu big brake kit. When I first laid the rotor inside the wheel, I was so excited since the rotor filled up the whole barrel but I instantly remembered about the caliper. I grabbed the caliper and slid them onto the rotor and laid the caliper/rotor onto the rim and guess what, the top of the caliper touches the inner barrel. MUDDAFUKCAH !!!! I was ready to start grinding the caliper but came to my senses and had to figure out a solution.

After speaking to MACKIN INDUSTRIES and EVASIVE MOTORSPORTS, I found out that 17" Volk TE37 has a larger diameter barrel which will clear the BBK and I was very surprised because I thought that the TE and CE had an identical barrel design. So I called up EVASIVE MOTORSPORTS and ordered up a set of 17x9 +22 and I should be getting them by next week. So my 17x9.5 +28 Volk CE28N are up for sale in case if anyone is interested. http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...pic=843715&hl=

As far as the body shop, the car is on hold since the fabricator won't be in until Monday but I did get a chance to mount on the 17x9.5 +28 CE28N to see how they would fit with the extended quarters and fender. I think that the setup will work out pretty good. Keep in mind that the car is lifted in the air so it's probably positive camber but I do plan on rolling the fenders just a little bit to get the fender line flushed with the wheel.

FEBRUARY 8th, 2011

Today is an exciting day to find out the truth with my own eyes. My Volk TE-37 was scheduled to be delivered today. I normally get my UPS deliveries around 5pm but on my way to work, I saw Larry ( my neighborhood UPS truck driver ). I pulled over and asked him if I got any packages and he tells me that I do. So I was able to get my wheels a little earlier than scheduled. I rush over to my shop and opened up the first box to pull out one of the TE-37s to see if the Project Mu BBK will clear and yes it does !!! I'm so relieved and excited that I can move forward with my project.

The TE-37s looks so fresh and I feel bad doing it but it's getting powder coated ASAP. I was thinking about doing another color but I'll stick with the SKY WHITE w/ SILVER FLAKES.

Before going to the pictures, I just want to thank Mike @ Evasive Motorsports and forum member Senson for the Project Mu BBK !!!

Last edited by billyboy; 02-16-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #5
billyboy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1135

FEBRUARY 16, 2011

Not a major update but it's something. Everything is currently dragging because of non-car related issues that keeps popping up but I did get to order some more parts.

1. JAIMA Blue convex mirrors ( super fast shipping !!! )
2. Alloy Craft heater valve relocation bracket ( super fast shipping !!! )
3. Carbon Kevlar spark plug cover ( not too crazy about because the fabric pattern is not straight )
4. OEM wing ( chose this one so I can retain OEM brake light , I was thinking about the TAMON wing but some days I liked it and on some days I thought it looked weird. )

I almost pulled the trigger on an impulse buy for some Brando Built air jacks but could not justify spending $1900 on a mod that I would barely use and the downside of it is that I would be adding more weight onto the car.

Another part that I am highly considering is the VOLTEX Carbon rear diffuser but I gotta make sure before dumping $1325. If I do get this rear diffuser, I would also like to get the VOLTEX front bumper and side skirts when they hit the states. But it's very likely that I will be calling EVASIVE and putting my order in very soon if things go accordingly. :D

Onto the pictures of the little tidbits that still put a big smile on my face when I find them in my mail box .................

FEBRUARY 19, 2011

Wassup guys. I went over to body shop today to inspect the car and make sure everything looks okay before the car gets painted. I think everything seems to fit well so I gave my painter the okay to go ahead and paint it.

With my tire setup, I think I might go 245/40-17 on the front but I am not sure yet. They are currently 255/40-17 all around but for some reason, the front tires looks bigger than the rears. What do you guys think?
I had the same situation before with my Honda Civic and it just bothered me but I'll see after I get the car back and everything get's aligned.

As far as the color of the car, I tried to convince myself over and over to play it safe and keep the car black but the show-side of me is pushing me change it to a color called MINERAL BLUE that came available on the Nissan Xterra. I originally wanted to paint the car gray or teal but I think the Mineral Blue looks grayish teal so I get both of the colors I wanted. We'll find out in the next couple days if it's going to stay black or change to blue. Below is a picture of the Nissan color and couple pictures of my car's current state at the body shop.

FEBRUARY 23, 2011

A couple more parts came in that I am really excited about. First up is the ARC radiator that I picked up from a forum member ( thanks Law ! ). I believe the water temp currently stays right around 220 with the stock radiator but I will make sure once I am back in the car. With the upgraded radiator, I hope to see a decrease in water temp which will give me some ease. ( I was traumatize with car overheating in my younger years. )

Next up is my true 3" Berk Technology catless exhaust. I am really anxious to get this part on my car then onto the dyno to get a comparison with my current exhaust. I strongly believe that there will be some gains but I need to see it with my own eyes. I will post pictures of the dyno plots and get some videos of the dyno pulls to compare the exhaust tones.

Onto the pictures ..............

MARCH 02, 2011

Okay finally some update. When I first got the car, Greg ( previous owner ) told me that the position of the -10 bungs on the valve cover for the breather setup was right in front of the cam gears which causes the oil catch can to fill up pretty quick. I told him I didn't mind and that I will keep an eye on oil level and empty out the can when need to. So recently, I picked up a spare valve cover to get powder coated but would need to get the dual -10 bungs welded on so I can run my breather tank. When I brought the valve cover to my welder, I asked him if he can weld a small plate in front of the hole so not as much oil will get pushed through. He told me that he was not sure if it would work since he did not know the clearance from valve cover wall to the cam gears. So it was time for some quick thinking. I remember seeing the SPOON elongated valve cover and thought I could do something similar. So I told my welder the idea and he made it happen and below is a picture of what I got back today. And there is also a picture of my 17x9 +22 Volk TE-37 that just got powder coated.

Last edited by billyboy; 03-02-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
billyboy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1135

April 1st, 2011

Finally I have some time to post some updates. I got the car out of the body shop about two weeks ago and since then, I've installed the suspension, radiator and big brake kit. I didn't want to post up pictures until the car got a complete detail and an alignment but I couldn't resist. I will also get a video of the suspension in action as soon as I get some time. The priority at the moment is to get all the air out of the cooling/heating system. I've spent 4 days on it so far and will keep going until it get's right. :argh:

Last edited by billyboy; 04-01-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #7
billyboy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1135

..................... reserved
Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
SpEcRv9
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6190

My Ride:
korean supra.

Send a message via AIM to SpEcRv9

I want.
SpEcRv9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
I saw the s2k before and liked it exactly the way it was. Your improvements are going to take it that extra bit it needed. Hope to see it out & about this season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

yes a nice car to hit TST, cant wait to see the finished product

and nice cars before hand...

Did you build any of them from the ground up? Im not taking a stab at you, just curious to know? My first car i bought was built and i made changes then i built 2 from the ground up and wouldnt have it any other way
|Nikon|
Twitter:
SvicksTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
bugeye1257
Tri-State Addict

Member #8105

My Ride:
2002 subaru wrx/holset power ;)

cant wait to see this car all done up! been watching the build over on nasioc
bugeye1257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:37 AM   #12
g0dzuki
Tri-State Addict

Member #15544

My Ride:
Scion tC

o0o0o white pulsar dude

g0dzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 AM   #13
[sr20]sean
Tri-State Addict

Member #6383

My Ride:
96 nissan 200sx se-r, 89 nissan 240sx hatch

Send a message via AIM to [sr20]sean
that pulsar is beautiful

so is pretty much every car you have owned is

Quote:
*disclaimer* It was a joke. I don't use condoms. That's what coat hangers at the bottom of staircases are for.
[sr20]sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
ambitiousCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14943

My Ride:
2018 Pacifica Limited, 1995 F150, 2015 Hyundai Accent Sport, 06 Corvette Z06

Nice car man, as well as the ones before lol

*CK*
ambitiousCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
jen.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7345

My Ride:
'07 si coupe!

Send a message via AIM to jen.

can't wait to see the improvements you make to this already beautiful car!
jen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #16
Erik@R/TTuning
Former Vendor

Member #17281

My Ride:
2000 MR2 Spyder

Just another excellent build in a line of wickedly cool cars.
Erik@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:
the one in the back of the shop

Love this car well done!!

As far as people hatin of buying built cars....its prob cause they havent bought a well built already done car. Cause once you do that and realize how much money you saved...building a car from the ground up isnt as fun...

Last edited by Vince@R/TTuning; 01-21-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Vince@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #18
s2kguy17
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15353

Billy I still have your modified mag with the wrx cause i love the color..is the same one in the background with the cage?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
billyboy
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpEcRv9 View Post

I want.
LOL ! cool video thing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTsi97 View Post
I saw the s2k before and liked it exactly the way it was. Your improvements are going to take it that extra bit it needed. Hope to see it out & about this season.

Oh yea, I will definitely be out this season.

With my last build, I was just sitting around and waiting for this and that and time goes by so fast and I missed the whole year. So I thought about it and felt this is the best way to go at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvicksTc View Post
yes a nice car to hit TST, cant wait to see the finished product

and nice cars before hand...

Did you build any of them from the ground up? Im not taking a stab at you, just curious to know? My first car i bought was built and i made changes then i built 2 from the ground up and wouldnt have it any other way

No offense taken. On my previous builds, they were all built from stock form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye1257 View Post
cant wait to see this car all done up! been watching the build over on nasioc

Soon my dear friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dzuki View Post
o0o0o white pulsar dude
Red pulsar dude !!! Did you sell yours ? Someone was asking for my white one but since it was sold, I gave him your number cause I knew that you had yours on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [sr20]sean View Post
that pulsar is beautiful

so is pretty much every car you have owned is

The Pulsar was definitely unique but I wasn't prepared on how hard it was to get certain parts for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitiousCK View Post
Nice car man, as well as the ones before lol

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen. View Post

can't wait to see the improvements you make to this already beautiful car!

Thanks Keep checking in for updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@R/TTuning View Post
Just another excellent build in a line of wickedly cool cars.
R/T Tuning, what can I say. I'm very flattered that you guys checked out my thread. I'm friends with Dave & Tony ( S-MAX S14 and STI ). I hope to visit you guys in the near future for some work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning View Post
Love this car well done!!

As far as people hatin of buying built cars....its prob cause they havent bought a well built already done car. Cause once you do that and realize how much money you saved...building a car from the ground up isnt as fun...

I have felt the pain and adding up past $50k on a personal build can make you go crazy. But it's the passion that helps you look past it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kguy17 View Post
Billy I still have your modified mag with the wrx cause i love the color..is the same one in the background with the cage?

Lol , , thats very flattering. Yes, that's the WRX shell in the background. It's getting ready to go to Utah to a new owner.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
lownslow95
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #276

My Ride:
2011 Lancer GTS

Send a message via AIM to lownslow95
Nice s2k. I will definatley be subscribing to this to see where this thread goes.